Author Topic: Data Shortcut  (Read 5112 times)

banner

Data Shortcut
« on: January 13, 2010, 12:34:49 PM »
Good morning fellow swampers!

I'm having an issue:  I created a data shortcut for a surface in my "original topo" file, I brought that data shortcut into my "design file".  One of my users cannot see that surface in the "design file".  I can see it on my machine, and I've opened the file on several other machines, all show the data shortcut-ted surface, but this one machine won't bring it in....the only thing I can think of, is he needs an object enabler or something.

We are all working in C3D 2009.  Thoughts?

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
Re: Data Shortcut
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 05:02:22 PM »
The only thing I can think of without trying some things ......

Does the surface show in the Prospector?

Deleted the other suff that really didn't do anything....
It doesn't pay to not think before typing.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 05:30:43 PM by Jeff_M »

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 05:02:56 PM »
they need to set the correct working path to the shortcut information

and

or

they need to apply the correct style to the surface object....
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 05:11:56 PM »
verify that they have the EXACT same network drive mapping and access to the shortcut folder location as well
or ever after they will always need repair broken data shortcut links,

and so will everyone else after they 'fix' them to work on their machine
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 05:13:21 PM »
also REMEMBER that the data reference will NOT be allowed until the drawing file is Named and Saved....
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

banner

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 09:20:19 AM »
Problem solved.  The user was opening the drawing in vanilla autocad, (which still seems like it should've worked), when he opened the file using C3D, the surface came in as well.

Thanks for the tips!

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 09:26:06 AM »
might I also suggest that you DELETE the desktop shortcut to that OTHER form of autocad?

unless of course you have hazed them sufficiently to prevent in the future.   ;-)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Wedding

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 11:49:28 AM »
(which still seems like it should've worked)

You're right, it should have. Was the user launching the same release of AutoCAD as the Civil 3D release, i.e. was he launching Acad 2010 as well as C3D 2010? If you are on the same computer, the object should have resolved and displayed. If you ARE on the same release, please submit a support request to Subscription so it can be tracked and hopefully fixed.

Thank you.

James Wedding, P.E.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 03:03:04 PM »
To the best of my understanding the Data Shortcut would not show up in regular autocad as anything other than a proxy object, unless one were to perform a Save As to some form of autocad with the shortcut object intact in the file.

Or are you saying James that regular autocad understands data shortcuts as such, or aren't they just proxy objects in regular autocad?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 03:31:40 PM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Wedding

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 10:12:14 AM »
If both users are using the same drive pathing, and if the user does have both C3D and Acad installs, then the data shortcut should resolve. Now, that's not to say it does, that's to say that the intent is that it should. If it doesn't, it's something we want to look at fixing.

Banner, please visit subscription support and file a support request. Make sure you put my name in the request so that the support guys know I'm chasing this down as well. I can't guarantee a fix, but I can at least have it on my radar.

Thank you,
James Wedding, P.E.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 10:15:36 AM »
as I thought....in a true mixed cad environment, the autocad user would have limited access to the short cut objects....unless C3D was also installed on the machine.

thanks for that
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Wedding

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 10:27:53 AM »
as I thought....in a true mixed cad environment, the autocad user would have limited access to the short cut objects....unless C3D was also installed on the machine.

thanks for that

Or the object enabler. The OE contains the display/resolution pieces as well. We've always suggested that users share the OE with their peers as much as possible to avoid the need and weight of proxy graphics.

[ Edit below: Some clarification, based on a conversation with our developers. ]

If the problem user had launched the C3D as Acad icon, the objects would have resolved and worked as expected. Because you have a completely separate installation of Acad, with it's own support files, you'll need to apply the C3D Object Enabler or turn on Proxygraphics if you want to see your surfaces in that instance of AutoCAD.

If you have licensing issues, then I would simply install the Object Enabler and get on with life. If you don't have licensing count issues, I would suggest you uninstall AutoCAD from this user and simply point them to the C3D as Acad icon when they want to run without the overhead of C3D.

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 03:06:50 PM by Wedding »

banner

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 08:40:24 AM »
might I also suggest that you DELETE the desktop shortcut to that OTHER form of autocad?

unless of course you have hazed them sufficiently to prevent in the future.   ;-)

Hehe...I did, believe you me.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 12:48:41 PM »
If both users are using the same drive pathing, and if the user does have both C3D and Acad installs, then the data shortcut should resolve. Now, that's not to say it does, that's to say that the intent is that it should. If it doesn't, it's something we want to look at fixing.

Banner, please visit subscription support and file a support request. Make sure you put my name in the request so that the support guys know I'm chasing this down as well. I can't guarantee a fix, but I can at least have it on my radar.

Thank you,
James Wedding, P.E.

Is this in response to yourself, or others trying to track the spread and severity of this issue?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Wedding

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 04:22:54 PM »
I don't see an issue here any more.

Banner had a copy of Acad and a copy of C3D on the same machine. When he loaded a C3D drawing into an Acad session, the objects did not resolve and display properly. This is because he did not have an object enabler installed on the machine. If he installed the OE on that machine, the objects would have displayed properly. This is normal designed behavior, so I've moved on to other things.

Did I miss something, Banner? If so, please let me know via PM so we can disuss. Thanks.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 06:54:29 PM »
I am just trying to figure out if you had any knowledge of this being a more wide spread issue?
PM me if that ISNT the case. Thanks
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Wedding

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 07:40:39 PM »
The original issue was resolved and was a matter of the wrong icon being used. I'm not sure how wide spread an issue that would be. I was originally attempting to verify if the original issue had anything to do with data shortcuts, which it did not, so there was nothing left for me to pursue.

If you have a specific issues related to DS, I'd love to see hear about it them. Like Dana, I can't promise changes, but we do look for feedback and ideas.