Author Topic: In lieu of standardized files  (Read 1259 times)

DIW_CADtech

• Bull Frog
  • Push limits, embrace success, & discard failure.
In lieu of standardized files
« on: June 05, 2011, 07:23:17 PM »
We all know how easy it is to get to files that are posted to the web via hyperlink, is it possible to put our pallets, templates, library files on the web, and set "Options" to look there instead. 

I ask because we are having issues with our server and IT.  I am a CAD department of (1) who will eventually be (many) and dread having to use the server.  The connection speed is so slow that at times i find AutoCAD literally craxhing because it can't read or write fast enough.

Most of these "Standards" files would, for most users, be read only.. much like a hyperlink.  And as such could be easilly managed. 

Any thoughts? 

I am very  trainable....   (forgive my spelling)

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
Re: In lieu of standardized files
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 10:50:13 PM »
Badbadbadbadbadbad.  If you are that concerned, keep them local and institute a log-in or start-up script that distributes new copies when needed.

But best of all would really be getting your network infrastructure up to snuff.  After all, where are your drawings going to reside?
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

DIW_CADtech

• Bull Frog
  • Push limits, embrace success, & discard failure.
Re: In lieu of standardized files
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 11:14:28 AM »
dgorsman,

This is a VALID point, on the file storage.  I'm having great dificulty persuading IT to qualify a machine I'm requesting for use with AutoCAD MEP.  Managers suggesting we go Rogue.  I.E. we build a maching and purchase software outside of IT.  I don't like this idea.  And I am further interested in forcing them to make an acception to the rule.  I need a PC that will run the software.. I don't care if nobode else in the commpany nation wide works on 64 bit system.. I need 64 to access more than 3GB of ram. 

We have talked about having a dedicated server for just the AutoCAD files, and I think that would be an improvement, but if bandwidth is already overcongested, I'm not sure if having a separate server will improve performance.

I am very  trainable....   (forgive my spelling)