Author Topic: PRJ files in Map 5  (Read 2223 times)

Scott

• Bull Frog
PRJ files in Map 5
« on: December 24, 2006, 12:28:05 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am trying to import esri shp files into map 5 and I'm having a problem.  They aren't coming in at the correct locations.  I import a county aerial photo into my drawing, then import the shp files and they aren't even close to matching up.  I tried the same thing in Global Mapper, it they work fine.  So, I have decided I'm doing something wrong in Map 5.  Does anyone have a clue what I might be doing wrong and how to fix the problem?

Thanks in advance
Scott

mohobrien

Re: PRJ files in Map 5
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 09:37:22 PM »
I'm not aware of the ability of Map5 to import georefenced images. I've always had to position them after the fact. Please someone chime in and tell me I'm wrong.

Scott

• Bull Frog
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 09:52:09 PM »
Map menu
Insert

As long as you have a world file you can insert it on the correct projection.  This is exactly what I do.  All of my aerial photos are projected at NAD 83.  The shape files I use are also projected to NAD 83.  However, I have one shape file that for some reason comes in at the wrong location.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Scott

drizzt

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 08:47:35 AM »
If you don't have the world file, you can use your Global mapper to generate one. I'm betting that the world file is the problem. Are you sure your have your project set up to the correct projection, ie NAD83 state...?

Cathy

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 03:40:18 PM »
I have had trouble in the past, especially when inserting images, with Map using rounded numbers.  Using the UNITS command to increase the number of digits after the decimal point seemed to solve it. 

Scott

• Bull Frog
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 07:57:26 PM »
I figured it out.  The soil type boundries have NAD 83 projection, where the photo had UTM NAD 83 Kansas South projection.  Converting the projection of the soil type boundries took care of the problem.

Thanks for the help

Scott

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 11:12:23 AM »
The proper method for this in MAP would be to set the Coordinate system of the data, i.e. the county aerial map, insert each data set into it's own individual drawing and save.
Then start a new MAP session, set your desired CS, attach the two files you saved in the steps above, and query in the desired data from them.
MAP will perform any, all required CS conversions as the Query is executed and the data will come in properly aligned.

Or for a single data source, and and Image file alone. Set the proper CS in the file, import your data, then use MAP>>Image and attache your image file there, you will get a chance in that dialog box to enter image file CS, and the active CS, and the data should then align properly, given it is properly georeferenced.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/