Author Topic: controling point (x,y,z) in volumes  (Read 3523 times)

jcoon

• Newt
controling point (x,y,z) in volumes
« on: December 07, 2010, 12:28:03 PM »
All,
Is there a way you can find the highest point in the volume surface with it's x.y. location. under the statistics
I've done the volumes and added elevation banding to display the location but I wanted to get the x,y to
add to my note. if the base surface was generated by a point files is it possible to retrieve the point object x,y,z and desc
if I used a vba routine? 

Thanks

John

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: controling point (x,y,z) in volumes
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 12:35:32 PM »
So you want to know where the highest fill, or the lowest cut value occurs?
Do you want to place a point/surface label there, or just know where it is?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 12:56:08 PM »
I think the answer is YES (with VBA) if both surfaces are built from points.
Otherwise you could drape a feature line on that surface....and use Set High/Low Point command...or just read elevation from feature line properties....
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

jcoon

• Newt
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 04:15:28 PM »
Michael,

>I think the answer is YES (with VBA) if both surfaces are built from points.
>Otherwise you could drape a feature line on that surface....and use Set High/Low Point command...or just read elevation from feature line properties....
?Posted on: Today at 12:35:32 pmPosted by: Higgs Boson's Mate 

>So you want to know where the highest fill, or the lowest cut value occurs?
>Do you want to place a point/surface label there, or just know where it is?

Sounds interesting.

I'll take finding the location but if I can insert a point or a circle at the location based on the surfaces that would be better.

The existing ground was built by points but the second surface is built from polylines. I think I can use the x,y point locations from the existing surface
to sample the x,y location on both surfaces. from here, what would I need next? just check for the largest value difference from the existing to the second surface?

thanks for your help

John     

sinc

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 04:57:55 PM »
I'd suggest getting the Points collection from the AeccTinVolumeSurface, then step through that array and look for the points with the max and min Z values.  I haven't actually tried it, but based on other things I've done with Surfaces, this should work.

I think you can even do this in VBA...  (A lot of C3D elements can only be accessed via .NET, if at all, but I think you can do this task in VBA, or even Lisp, if you wish...)

jcoon

• Newt
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 11:42:37 AM »
Sinc,

Thanks, I think I can do that. so you thinks it's easier finding the location by using the volume point collection instead of just samples the points used to generate the eg surface (one build with points) and finding the max difference in elevation between the surfaces.

Thanks for all your help

John

jcoon

• Newt
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 02:57:44 PM »
Sinc,

Getting the volume surface point collection was the answer!

Thanks
John

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 03:01:35 PM »
I'm curious about the intended use of this...other than placing some label, are you planing on placing a staked point or other survey reference there?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 03:35:23 PM »
In Civil3D 2011 there is also an option to find the minimum distance between two surfaces. So if you have a surface, just add another far above it (create a RECTANG around it, give it a really high elevation and make a surface from that). Use the command MINIMUMDISTBETWEENSURFACES and select both surfaces. It will draw points where the distance is the shortest.
The conclusion is justified that the initialization of the development of critical subsystem optimizes the probability of success to the development of the technical behavior over a given period.

sinc

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 01:06:16 PM »

Thanks, I think I can do that. so you thinks it's easier finding the location by using the volume point collection instead of just samples the points used to generate the eg surface (one build with points) and finding the max difference in elevation between the surfaces.

You wouldn't want to use the EG Surface, because the actual high or low point might not be one of those points.  It could be a point from your comparison surface.

But it looks like there's an even more direct way...  You can just look at the AeccTinVolumeSurface.Statistics, and you get all this:

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 04:55:22 PM »

But it looks like there's an even more direct way...  You can just look at the AeccTinVolumeSurface.Statistics, and you get all this:

But this doesn't give the Highest/Lowest points. For these you'd still need to compare the PointCollection points

sinc

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 06:21:11 PM »
Oh, right...  It gives you the highest and lowest Z values in the statistics, but those MaxX/MaxY/MinX/MinY values are something else...

Never mind.  :)

DaveD

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 05:27:36 PM »
Wow, that's awesome.  I didn't know that will create a block at the high/low point!  I see it also will create a pline at the intersection of surfaces, too! - great for creating  a quick user contour or 0' cut/fill boundary!

This seems like the way to go for one off analysis (without programmming).

I was originally thinking a solution for him might also be to:
1. display points in your volume surface
2. extract objects from surface - Points
3. create C3D points from AutoCAD points
4. Look at the properties of the new (All) point group
5. Go to Points List tab and click on the elevation header to sort Hi-Lo or Lo-Hi
6. Boom

I like your way better, though.  Thanks.

In Civil3D 2011 there is also an option to find the minimum distance between two surfaces. So if you have a surface, just add another far above it (create a RECTANG around it, give it a really high elevation and make a surface from that). Use the command MINIMUMDISTBETWEENSURFACES and select both surfaces. It will draw points where the distance is the shortest.