Author Topic: Anyone Planning to upgrade to 2009 next Month?  (Read 7344 times)

whdjr

Anyone Planning to upgrade to 2009 next Month?
« on: February 26, 2008, 03:20:23 PM »
Are you planning to upgrade to AutoCAD 2009 next month and what version are you currently running?

Maverick®

• Seagull
Re: Anyone Planning to upgrade to 2009 next Month?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 03:28:29 PM »
Nope.  But I am going to upgrade to Version 14 from V.  13.3.4 next month.

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 03:33:10 PM »
I have the feeling this is going to be another R13 -> R14 debacle!

quamper

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 03:40:53 PM »
Haven't really decided yet whether or not we're upgrading. We're on subscription but we may skip this release.

It's not really anything to do with the ribbon, I don't have a problem with that. It's more everything in '08 is working fine and there's not a compelling enough reason to upgrade right away.

After the '09 service pack is released I'll probably give in though and upgrade everyone. ;)

Bob Garner

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 03:49:35 PM »
At work: we're on 2007 and won't upgrade for at least a couple of years.

At home:  I'm on 2005 LT and just ordered my 2008 upgrade.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 04:33:50 PM »
I look forward to it.  I regret not being able to be more active in the beta, so that I could see more of the benefits to upgrading, but I will definitely be upgrading.  I consider it kind of my responsibility.  That's the only true way to evaluate the need for an update, is to try it.  I'm hesitant about the ribbon, but considering that they allow for a crap load more customisability and control over it than other features before it... I think it'll be a welcome addition after some growing pains.

I don't see anything worth worrying much about, really.  I think the whole hullabaloo about this being a bad release was over the introduction of the Ribbon, but most of what people complained about (myself included at first) is stuff that's not even an issue... mostly to do with customizing it, or even just being able to turn it off and use your system like you used to (which can easily be done with provided sysvar introductions)

There's always a bunch of little tweaks and changes that go undocumented in the pre-release preview, because other stuff that seems bigger and more important will always take the buzz, so I'm looking forward to the upgrade, as usual.  I look forward to seeing if they upgraded the rendering and visualizations again or if they're near done with it for a while.

I also look forward to the free licenses of Impression.  I downloaded the trial and messed around with it and I think it'll be fun... definitely a great tool for some preliminary layout stuff for getting floor plans, building sizes, and all that stuff done for some of these condo/townhome/light-commercial developers that seem to have all gotten word of our talents, here.  Those types can flip ideas, layouts, and floor plan ideas like the ebb and flow of the tide, so having a tool that's easy to quickly change up and "sketch" with while still providing a cool "eye candy" and impressive, scaled, product is a neat idea.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 04:37:20 PM »
Haven't really decided yet whether or not we're upgrading. We're on subscription but we may skip this release.

It's not really anything to do with the ribbon, I don't have a problem with that. It's more everything in '08 is working fine and there's not a compelling enough reason to upgrade right away.

After the '09 service pack is released I'll probably give in though and upgrade everyone. ;)
Our thoughts here too for the office however I will upgrade and play with to see how it is.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Birdy

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 04:58:48 PM »
I Didn't really like the choices in your poll, but meh. :|
We're on subscription ('08 now), and yes we'll upgrade, but I typically wait till July or August to roll it out. 
That gives me a chance to learn what kinks need worked out, maybe a service pack will be released, and how we'll apply any new features, if we use them at all.
[edit: gives me a chance to learn the new stuff too, so I can answer questions intelligently after deployment]

Never used tool palettes when they first came out, cause you couldn't do any thing really useful with them.  They were nothing more than a big Toolbar.  Now you have way more flexibility and we use them a lot.

Stuff like the Ribbon.... I'll probably just turn it off for now.  I'm prefer keyboard entry for most stuff. I rarely use anything from the pull down menus.

Looking forward to grip editing xclips.  That'll be way cool for us. :kewl:

Josh Nieman

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 05:06:47 PM »
Looking forward to grip editing xclips.  That'll be way cool for us. :kewl:

Yea, the actual production tool improvements like that are totally great... plus being able to quickly click a button to invert the clipping boundary... so much easier than the previous xclip editing tools.

I'm currently setting up the interface for our block library, so I'm considering organizing it in a more broken-down manner, and seeing how the Ribbon could work with it, rather than the Tool Palette, like I've been setting it up.  Could be something worth looking in to... dunno... easy for me since the company doesn't have an existing system set up yet.

The only thing would be the big chance I'm taking investing in the Ribbon, if they decide to ditch it :P

Bob Wahr

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 05:07:29 PM »
They haven't done that in several years.  The service pack for 2009 will be called 2010.

We'll most likely upgrade, I'm not in a huge hurry to do it though.  I'll fit it in as time permits.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 05:13:14 PM »
I'm going to upgrade everyone.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 05:13:34 PM »
We typically wait 3 months for a service pack, and I start testing as soon as we get it.
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Bob Wahr

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 05:26:36 PM »
Cool, when can I expect you?

Josh Nieman

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 05:27:48 PM »
They haven't done that in several years.  The service pack for 2009 will be called 2010.

We'll most likely upgrade, I'm not in a huge hurry to do it though.  I'll fit it in as time permits.

There was an SP for 08 wasn't there?  (I think)

Josh Nieman

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 05:28:34 PM »
and two SPs for 2007, iirc, though maybe just one.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 06:11:21 PM »

Custom Build PC

quamper

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 08:20:16 AM »
Yes there was at least 1 Service Pack for 2007 and 1 for 2008

whdjr

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 08:37:17 AM »
Those of you that are upgrading, what are your compelling reasons for upgrading?

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2008, 08:57:29 AM »

I'm not looking forward to that... I've shown some people the new interface and I've already got a few "Is there an option for the 'old' interface?" and "Can you change the background color - I want it to be black!".

This is going to be a long and tiring road to travel.  I'm not looking forward to all of the whining and complaining.  Oy!

Josh Nieman

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 09:01:57 AM »
Those of you that are upgrading, what are your compelling reasons for upgrading?

I always upgrade... I've never found the bad things to outweigh the good.  What are the reasons NOT to?!

Reasons to upgrade

1)  We just paid for it via our annual charge for subscription, so may as well see what we can benefit from it!
2)  In case others that we work with upgrade, we need to make sure that we can open their native files and be able to not screw up their format (i.e. try opening a drawing containing 2008 multi-line attributes in 2007.... FUN!  *rolls eyes*)
3)  Just because there are changes, it doesn't mean you should not upgrade... you think those changes just won't be there when you HAVE to upgrade to accommodate a new file format in 2010?  May as well get used to it now, plan for the changes, and see how we can use them to better our processes.
4)  There are plenty of awesome new features that will help productivity in small but often used amounts.

Why would you NOT upgrade this year, if you generally have the rest of the years?!

quamper

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2008, 09:03:45 AM »
Why would you NOT upgrade this year, if you generally have the rest of the years?!
If you are using 3rd party software that has not been updated to work with the most recent release at the time of the release.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2008, 09:14:09 AM »
If you are using 3rd party software that has not been updated to work with the most recent release at the time of the release.

That's one of the first legitimate reasons I've heard :P  Can't argue with that, for sure.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2008, 10:13:32 AM »

I like seeing my users squirm  :-D  ... actually I just like keeping up to date. Sometimes people get in ruts and don't want to change....since it's my decision, I force the change.  :-P

Custom Build PC

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2008, 10:14:30 AM »

That's one of the first legitimate reasons I've heard :P  Can't argue with that, for sure.

That's one of the reasons we have not upgraded some years.

Custom Build PC

quamper

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2008, 10:34:30 AM »
Features of the new version that I am looking forward to when we do upgrade:

Quick Properties Palette
Layer Properties Manager Palette
Action Recorder (mixed feelings about this. I've automated a lot of what I do but some of the other guys here it might benefit them if they'll use it)
Ribbon - I like it better than the dashboard, and has good potential for space saving, I'll definitely use it but not enough a reason to upgrade on it's own

Not really interested in the Quick View layouts etc.. but there does seem to be an overall performance increase when you have a lot of layout's in a drawing which is a big plus for us because there are times when one drawing may have 30+ layouts. It's not a huge improvement but it's definitely noticeable enough that it's a plus.

It'd be nice if the DWFx change helps spread adoption of DWF but I'm not holding my breath especially since Vista's adoption has been low and I doubt anyone's installed the XPS viewer on XP. So it's still DWF and PDF for awhile yet.

sinc

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2008, 12:11:02 PM »

For us C3D users, the product is still so immature that EVERY release, even a service pack, is a huge improvement.  And since C3D cannot be bought without at least a 1 year subscription, I'm amazed that there are still people trying to use C3D 2007.  C3D 2008 SP2 is sooooo much better, it almost hurts knowing that there are still people out there using 2007, and even a few on (gasp!) 2006...

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2008, 01:32:30 PM »
No way. Although if/when we move from LDT to C3D, we will install and use the current version of C3D at that time...

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2008, 01:33:44 PM »
Maybe the real question should be "who is going to purchase a new seat of LT so we can ask Kate questions....?"

Kate M

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2008, 01:55:41 PM »

Maybe the real question should be "who is going to purchase a new seat of LT so we can ask Kate questions....?"
:-D

CottageCGirl

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2008, 04:25:31 PM »
I just want to get to 2006 .........they just don't seem to get the fact, that if you don't upgrade those people that are already behind in skills, only get further and further behind..... :-(

CottageCGirl

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2008, 04:28:59 PM »

I'm not looking forward to that... I've shown some people the new interface and I've already got a few "Is there an option for the 'old' interface?" and "Can you change the background color - I want it to be black!".

This is going to be a long and tiring road to travel.  I'm not looking forward to all of the whining and complaining.  Oy!

is there a preview somewhere I can look at? what are the main differences other than not being black?

Josh Nieman

CottageCGirl

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2008, 04:31:58 PM »
http://heidihewett.blogs.com/my_weblog/2008/02/learn-more-abou.html

the irony of this is that both of these sites are blocked by my network...... :x
I will look when i get home

quamper

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2008, 04:34:13 PM »

CottageCGirl

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2008, 04:39:54 PM »

Birdy

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2008, 06:46:57 PM »
I find it's easier to learn/ implement/ train on new features a "wee" bit each year, rather than a "way" bit every several years.

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2008, 09:00:52 AM »
Quote from: Birdy
I find it's easier to learn/ implement/ train on new features a "wee" bit each year, rather than a "way" bit every several years.

Maybe learn and train, but not necessarily implement. We can't do 100+ installs every 12 months.

whdjr

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2008, 10:23:15 AM »
We only have 6 users here, but when we get a new version and no training then everybody does it the same way they always have done it.  We don't have much time (read none) for training.  We have to learn while we work (read - do it the way we always do it).

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2008, 04:21:44 PM »
We only have 6 users here, but when we get a new version and no training then everybody does it the same way they always have done it.  We don't have much time (read none) for training.  We have to learn while we work (read - do it the way we always do it).
Sounds very familiar.  Except now I have 5 users instead of 8.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Birdy

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2008, 05:40:17 PM »
Quote from: Birdy

Maybe learn and train, but not necessarily implement. We can't do 100+ installs every 12 months.
Please elaborate on the connection between implementation and installation.

By "implement" I mean: "ok, cool feature, this <insert feature here>.  How will we use it productively?  How will it effect legacy stuff? Does it mean major work to adjust our customizations?" Yeah, I agree, sometimes that can take a chunk of time.

Installs are another thing entirely (in my case).

I've found that the installs are way easier with the deployment wizard.  [If you're talking Civil3D, that may be another story.]
I've also found Matt Stachoni's "AutoCAD Architecture Installation Secrets and Techniques" AU handout to be a real time saver for configuring installation deployments (even though I only deal with 6 seats).
It's adaptable to vanilla AutoCAD, and may be adaptable to Civil3D as well, since they're all the same core product (aren't they?).

I imagine it's even possible to run a login script that will do the install. Automagically.  :kewl:

pmvliet

« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2008, 12:14:03 PM »
I just want to get to 2006 .........they just don't seem to get the fact, that if you don't upgrade those people that are already behind in skills, only get further and further behind..... :-(

This is a good point, as the yearly release comes out and users are not moving up, this gap will get harder to manage.
I don't know that I would want to be more then 2 releases behind... You will need a bigger amount of training budget and will most likely take a hit in productivity with gigantic upgrade steps. Sometimes its easier to get a little money every year...

Pieter

pmvliet

« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2008, 12:21:52 PM »

I will admit that software installations every year are not easy to implement, but it can be done.
There are large companies out there that are doing it.
You will not be implementing 2009 in March, more like September. Might be lagging 6 months
so that the release is stable with an patches that will come out.

There are several keys to make it successful:
you need dedicated staff that can work on this (ie: priority)
you need to be organized (the person, file structure, network drives, resources)
reuse as much as you can from previous release (There is no reason to make new CTB's or name them different)
Some automation with setting search paths and other resources (profile stuff)
Need support from the company
user training (formal, lunch-n-learns, etc)
Cadd Standards/Manuals updated, distributed and read by the users. Sometime the reading part is the hardest part!

Pieter