Author Topic: Anyone Planning to upgrade to 2009 next Month?  (Read 7346 times)

whdjr

Anyone Planning to upgrade to 2009 next Month?
« on: February 26, 2008, 03:20:23 PM »
Are you planning to upgrade to AutoCAD 2009 next month and what version are you currently running?

Maverick®

• Seagull
Re: Anyone Planning to upgrade to 2009 next Month?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 03:28:29 PM »
Nope.  But I am going to upgrade to Version 14 from V.  13.3.4 next month.

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 03:33:10 PM »
I have the feeling this is going to be another R13 -> R14 debacle!

quamper

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 03:40:53 PM »
Haven't really decided yet whether or not we're upgrading. We're on subscription but we may skip this release.

It's not really anything to do with the ribbon, I don't have a problem with that. It's more everything in '08 is working fine and there's not a compelling enough reason to upgrade right away.

After the '09 service pack is released I'll probably give in though and upgrade everyone. ;)

Bob Garner

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 03:49:35 PM »
At work: we're on 2007 and won't upgrade for at least a couple of years.

At home:  I'm on 2005 LT and just ordered my 2008 upgrade.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 04:33:50 PM »
I look forward to it.  I regret not being able to be more active in the beta, so that I could see more of the benefits to upgrading, but I will definitely be upgrading.  I consider it kind of my responsibility.  That's the only true way to evaluate the need for an update, is to try it.  I'm hesitant about the ribbon, but considering that they allow for a crap load more customisability and control over it than other features before it... I think it'll be a welcome addition after some growing pains.

I don't see anything worth worrying much about, really.  I think the whole hullabaloo about this being a bad release was over the introduction of the Ribbon, but most of what people complained about (myself included at first) is stuff that's not even an issue... mostly to do with customizing it, or even just being able to turn it off and use your system like you used to (which can easily be done with provided sysvar introductions)

There's always a bunch of little tweaks and changes that go undocumented in the pre-release preview, because other stuff that seems bigger and more important will always take the buzz, so I'm looking forward to the upgrade, as usual.  I look forward to seeing if they upgraded the rendering and visualizations again or if they're near done with it for a while.

I also look forward to the free licenses of Impression.  I downloaded the trial and messed around with it and I think it'll be fun... definitely a great tool for some preliminary layout stuff for getting floor plans, building sizes, and all that stuff done for some of these condo/townhome/light-commercial developers that seem to have all gotten word of our talents, here.  Those types can flip ideas, layouts, and floor plan ideas like the ebb and flow of the tide, so having a tool that's easy to quickly change up and "sketch" with while still providing a cool "eye candy" and impressive, scaled, product is a neat idea.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 04:37:20 PM »
Haven't really decided yet whether or not we're upgrading. We're on subscription but we may skip this release.

It's not really anything to do with the ribbon, I don't have a problem with that. It's more everything in '08 is working fine and there's not a compelling enough reason to upgrade right away.

After the '09 service pack is released I'll probably give in though and upgrade everyone. ;)
Our thoughts here too for the office however I will upgrade and play with to see how it is.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Birdy

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 04:58:48 PM »
I Didn't really like the choices in your poll, but meh. :|
We're on subscription ('08 now), and yes we'll upgrade, but I typically wait till July or August to roll it out. 
That gives me a chance to learn what kinks need worked out, maybe a service pack will be released, and how we'll apply any new features, if we use them at all.
[edit: gives me a chance to learn the new stuff too, so I can answer questions intelligently after deployment]

Never used tool palettes when they first came out, cause you couldn't do any thing really useful with them.  They were nothing more than a big Toolbar.  Now you have way more flexibility and we use them a lot.

Stuff like the Ribbon.... I'll probably just turn it off for now.  I'm prefer keyboard entry for most stuff. I rarely use anything from the pull down menus.

Looking forward to grip editing xclips.  That'll be way cool for us. :kewl:

Josh Nieman

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 05:06:47 PM »
Looking forward to grip editing xclips.  That'll be way cool for us. :kewl:

Yea, the actual production tool improvements like that are totally great... plus being able to quickly click a button to invert the clipping boundary... so much easier than the previous xclip editing tools.

I'm currently setting up the interface for our block library, so I'm considering organizing it in a more broken-down manner, and seeing how the Ribbon could work with it, rather than the Tool Palette, like I've been setting it up.  Could be something worth looking in to... dunno... easy for me since the company doesn't have an existing system set up yet.

The only thing would be the big chance I'm taking investing in the Ribbon, if they decide to ditch it :P

Bob Wahr

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 05:07:29 PM »
They haven't done that in several years.  The service pack for 2009 will be called 2010.

We'll most likely upgrade, I'm not in a huge hurry to do it though.  I'll fit it in as time permits.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 05:13:14 PM »
I'm going to upgrade everyone.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 05:13:34 PM »
We typically wait 3 months for a service pack, and I start testing as soon as we get it.
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Bob Wahr

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 05:26:36 PM »
I'm going to upgrade everyone.
Cool, when can I expect you?

Josh Nieman

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 05:27:48 PM »
They haven't done that in several years.  The service pack for 2009 will be called 2010.

We'll most likely upgrade, I'm not in a huge hurry to do it though.  I'll fit it in as time permits.

There was an SP for 08 wasn't there?  (I think)

Josh Nieman

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 05:28:34 PM »
and two SPs for 2007, iirc, though maybe just one.