Author Topic: Layouts!! (?)  (Read 7669 times)

Josh Nieman

Re: Layouts!! (?)
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007, 02:35:51 PM »
Yeah, I hear ya. The one thing I use "Solprof" for is when creating proposals. Clipping planes just don't work like I'd like em to, and I need to make clear what the intent is without a bunch of clutter. And besides, I'm the only one here, so I can do whatever the heck I want. Nyaaaa!

:-)

Being the only one there is a big advantage, eliminating the need to make sure others can follow what's going on!

Clipping planes has it's limits, that's for sure, I'll admit.  After working with both Solprof and 3dclip for a while... I find that the flaws in solprof I didnt like (aside from the making linework seperate from the model issue) were just as numerous as the issues I come across with 3dclip.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 02:37:11 PM »
Thanks for all of the responses, I knew I could count on you folks.

From what I have heard, I don't think we will switch to putting all pages on tabs within one dwg.

Probably the biggest thing that I didn't think about is the 2 people working on a different page of the same set of dwgs. The next thing is the lack of being able to print all tabs without the prg'ing(?) mentioned above. Another thing that comes to mind is the rev's part - We include the Rev number at the end of our file name. We often update only one page of a set of dwgs, using the tabs would make it difficult to retain old revs of a dwg - which is required for some customers.

Thanks again for all of your responses,
craigr

Look up "publish" in the help file.. it's a standard command.  I am pretty sure it's in LT, but can't verify.  Publish prints all tabs in all open drawings, you can add/remove/reorder all plots and send it as a single job or seperate jobs to the printer.

deegeecees

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2007, 02:44:58 PM »
Being the only one there is a big advantage...

It's probably one of the worst things about my job. I think I need to start a new thread in the Vent...

craigr

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2007, 02:53:45 PM »
Look up "publish" in the help file.. it's a standard command.  I am pretty sure it's in LT, but can't verify.  Publish prints all tabs in all open drawings, you can add/remove/reorder all plots and send it as a single job or seperate jobs to the printer.

I found the publish area but the only option is to publish to .dwf, not to a printer.

craigr

Josh Nieman

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2007, 03:06:26 PM »

I found the publish area but the only option is to publish to .dwf, not to a printer.

craigr

type publish at the command line.

Beneath the list of things to be plotted, there is a section called "Publish to" where you have two radio button selections to choose from... "Plotter named in page setup" or "DWF File"

Pick the page setup one... then you can specify, in the middle column, what page setup to use to plot.

craigr

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2007, 03:16:53 PM »

Beneath the list of things to be plotted, there is a section called "Publish to" where you have two radio button selections to choose from... "Plotter named in page setup" or "DWF File"

Pick the page setup one... then you can specify, in the middle column, what page setup to use to plot.

"Plotter named in page setup" must not be available in LT.

There is that 'LT' problem again.

Thanks anyway,
craigr

Josh Nieman

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2007, 03:26:55 PM »

"Plotter named in page setup" must not be available in LT.

There is that 'LT' problem again.

Thanks anyway,
craigr

just to double check:

craigr

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2007, 03:29:28 PM »
Nope. That part is missing on mine.

craigr

CADaver

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2007, 06:07:56 PM »
xrefs?

Disadvantage:
You can't use "Solprof" on an xref. Least not in '04.
AAAACCCKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ahhh just go ahead and explode all the blocks and dims in the drawing while you're at it.

CADaver

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2007, 06:16:19 PM »
yea, but that takes very little effort at all. 
There is absolutely no loss of efficiency (and actually a gain in some circumstances) by using one layout per drawing.
I have a single structure package with twenty-three drawings, to do the final clean up on the file prior to issue will require all twenty-three files open at the same time to quickly move from one to the other and an XREF reload each time the model changes.  That's a LOT more effort than I care to do.  What efficiency gain could offset that hairball?

The main issue there is when you want more than one person to work on a project.  This include matchlined drawings.  I've actually come into a scenario where both me and my boss are working on annotating the floor plan and construction plans (all off one model, but it's xref'd into each sheet) whereas if each piece that matchlined into another was in one drawing, I'd have been on my own.
Look closer at the efficiencies there.  Quickly replicating a change across several drawings in a single file can more than offset two designers making simliar changes to two different files.

Reloading xref's is such a miniscule problem, imo.  There's a bubble that tells you it needs reloading (if you don't turn it off) and if you do, there's an icon that will tell you so as well (that is admittedly easily overlooked, but if you're working with xref's it's user negligence to ignore it)  that's all aside from the simple process of hitting "xr" then rclick xref, reload... whenever it may be necessary.  Or command line, reload em all.  Whatever floats the boat.
And that takes time, especially twenty-three times.

CADaver

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2007, 06:19:58 PM »
Yeah, I hear ya. The one thing I use "Solprof" for is when creating proposals. Clipping planes just don't work like I'd like em to, and I need to make clear what the intent is without a bunch of clutter. And besides, I'm the only one here, so I can do whatever the heck I want. Nyaaaa!
Where'd the "clutter come from???

Try THIS

Kate M

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2007, 01:15:26 PM »

craigr

Y'know, I understand why they left a lot out of LT that they did, but some stuff just makes you say "Huh?" :|

CADaver

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2007, 05:33:11 PM »

craigr

Y'know, I understand why they left a lot out of LT that they did, but some stuff just makes you say "Huh?" :|
There is a reason it is a LOT cheaper.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2007, 05:53:41 PM »

craigr

Yea, I don't think it was a case of crippling a command, in this case, so much as it was promoting DWFs.

Publish in it's entirety was probably something to be left out to trim the fat, whereas DWFs was a huge thing they want to make sure everyone knows about, and thus trimming the publish command to be only DWF is an efficient way to do so.

Thank god I don't have LT, that's for sure!

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2007, 08:32:26 AM »
Is anyone out there using Sheet Set Manager to do their plotting?  You can either have the drawings plot using the default page setup or select a page setup override.  For instance; Let's say your default page setup plots to a PLT file.  You can have multiple page setup overrides that would send the drawings to an 11x17 sheet (scaled down), a PDF file, or anything else you want to set up.  I've found that to be MUCH easier than using the straight PUBLISH command.

In the image below, I can quickly create PLTs for 79 files with a simple click of the mouse using the default page setup.