Author Topic: Layouts!! (?)  (Read 7668 times)

craigr

Layouts!! (?)
« on: July 27, 2007, 11:26:54 AM »
I have seen layout tabs used as different paper sizes in CAD files from other companies. We usually print to either 11x17 or Letter size, so I have made macros that do this & have never bothered to learn about Layout Tabs.

We have always had seperate files for every page of a set of dwgs. I opened a CAD file from another company and they have a 10 page set of dwgs in ONE CAD file, a Layout Tab for every page.

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking this might be something to look into.

I have a couple of questions up front though that I figure some of you may be able to answer -

What are the advantages / dissadvantages of having all of your dwg pages in ONE CAD file?
Is there a limit to the number of Layout Tabs in one CAD file?
Is there a way to plot all tabs in order from AutoCad? - (We use Multibatch to print a set of dwgs).

I'll stop here until I decide if this is worth learning about.

As always, thanks in advance,
craigr

deegeecees

Re: Layouts!! (?)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 11:47:28 AM »
What are the advantages / dissadvantages of having all of your dwg pages in ONE CAD file?
There are advantages for 3D geometry, but it depends on what discipline/standards are for your companies needs.

Is there a way to plot all tabs in order from AutoCad? - (We use Multibatch to print a set of dwgs).
Try CABs' PlotTabs routine, it's just what you need.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 12:07:36 PM »
There are advantages for 3D geometry, but it depends on what discipline/standards are for your companies needs.

I use 3d and limit my files to one layout per file.  I like the organization better that way.  I use xrefs to make up for what you gain, I imagine.... actually I don't even have any model inside my sheet files.  I keep model files seperate and xref them into dwg's that are meant to be plotted.  S-01 will actually not have any  model in it, but rather will have (X-Model.dwg) xref'd into it.  I also split up my models into multiple files at times, for organization on larger projects.

Try CABs' PlotTabs routine, it's just what you need.

You can also use the regular Publish command to print all tabs and in all open files, and organize them before sending the plot.

I personally used to do multiple layouts per file, but found it to be a big confusion.

I first tried just having a file named after the job "Eraste Landry Medical Complex" or what not... and would have all tabs named after sheet name.
-I didn't like this because only one person could work on it at a time, and the file size was huge.

I then tried having a file called "Architectural" "Structural" "Specifications" "Civil" and so on... having all A-series sheets in the architectural, and so on...
-Ran into the same problems but to a lesser extent, and it was a pain organizing xrefs.  If I xref the architectural into the structural, I have the whole elevations, sections, details, roof plans, wall sections, blah blah blah, to try and xclip away... just a hassle.

I then split back into using one layout per file.  All organization is fast and convenient.  No confusion is created.  Xref's are easy, convenient, precise, and quickly maintained.  File sizes are nominal.  If a project is gettin' hot, 3 of us can tackle a different sheet at a time and get it done 3 times faster.

I find plotting to be equal all around for the tools we use to plot.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 12:08:44 PM by Josh Nieman »

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 12:09:15 PM »
And, as always, it's a matter of a combination of opinion, work style, number of users that work on the project, and other things.

In my office, generally only one person works on any project at a time. So we can easily use 1 drawing file for a complete set of plans. Our typical Plan set is 8-20 sheets, so our files will have 8-20 layouts.

A downside to this is file corruption. If you manage to mangle your drawing so it is no longer usable you lose everything, so a good backup system is mandatory (one always is, but this method takes it to another level, IMHO). But in the 7 years we've been doing it this way we haven't lost 1 drawing.

And after working this way for so long, I find it a real pain to work on a project that is split up 1 sheet per drawing. Especially since the LDT verticals only allow 1 drawing per session to be open.

deegeecees

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 12:14:03 PM »
^^^^ all that n then sum.

CADaver

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 12:57:56 PM »
If you're doing 2D work where every sheet is stand alone, it can limit the number of people working the package at one time.  So if a change occurs and you have to replicate that change over six or ten different drawings, only one designer can be employed if all the sheets are in one file.  That's the ONLY real draw-back I've found with multi-sheet files.

Advantages are numerous, (too numerous to mention for 3D work).  A primary advantage for drawings is for drawings that span several sheets (matchlined).  You have one "plan" in modelspace, and viewports in multiple layout tabs viewing the one "plan.  Changing one element in the one model changes it in all viewports.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 12:59:16 PM »
Advantages are numerous, (too numerous to mention for 3D work).  A primary advantage for drawings is for drawings that span several sheets (matchlined).  You have one "plan" in modelspace, and viewports in multiple layout tabs viewing the one "plan.  Changing one element in the one model changes it in all viewports.

xrefs?

CADaver

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 01:05:32 PM »
A downside to this is file corruption.
This is one reason that ALWAYS comes up in a discussion of multiple sheet files, but is it really a problem??  How many files do you have corrupted beyond repair in a year? We build thousands of files a year and have for some time and I can count on one hand the ones that have been corrupted beyond repair in the last ten years (well since R13C1).  Even in those cases, the backup was never more than a day old, so "lost everything" means eight to twelve hours work.

CADaver

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 01:13:06 PM »
Advantages are numerous, (too numerous to mention for 3D work).  A primary advantage for drawings is for drawings that span several sheets (matchlined).  You have one "plan" in modelspace, and viewports in multiple layout tabs viewing the one "plan.  Changing one element in the one model changes it in all viewports.

xrefs?
Use 'em a lot, what about 'em? If you mean "instead" of multiple sheets, that is IMO, a poorer choice that leads to a multiplicity of effort, especially if you annotate in PS (where it belongs).  Updating the "model" requires a reload of that model in EVERY file to which it is referenced.

deegeecees

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 01:23:45 PM »
xrefs?

Disadvantage:
You can't use "Solprof" on an xref. Least not in '04.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 01:24:36 PM »

xrefs?
Use 'em a lot, what about 'em? If you mean "instead" of multiple sheets, that is IMO, a poorer choice that leads to a multiplicity of effort, especially if you annotate in PS (where it belongs).  Updating the "model" requires a reload of that model in EVERY file to which it is referenced.

yea, but that takes very little effort at all.  We practice our methods in a way very similar to yours from what I've read, but we make sure we keep one layout per sheet, and that's it.  There is absolutely no loss of efficiency (and actually a gain in some circumstances) by using one layout per drawing.

The main issue there is when you want more than one person to work on a project.  This include matchlined drawings.  I've actually come into a scenario where both me and my boss are working on annotating the floor plan and construction plans (all off one model, but it's xref'd into each sheet) whereas if each piece that matchlined into another was in one drawing, I'd have been on my own.

Reloading xref's is such a miniscule problem, imo.  There's a bubble that tells you it needs reloading (if you don't turn it off) and if you do, there's an icon that will tell you so as well (that is admittedly easily overlooked, but if you're working with xref's it's user negligence to ignore it)  that's all aside from the simple process of hitting "xr" then rclick xref, reload... whenever it may be necessary.  Or command line, reload em all.  Whatever floats the boat.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 01:25:54 PM »
xrefs?

Disadvantage:
You can't use "Solprof" on an xref. Least not in '04.

uh oh... put your Randy deflectors on.

I don't use solprof though.  I used to and that was a big hinderance for me at one time, but I overcame it by improving changing my ways to make a seperate 2d static portrayal obsolete.

deegeecees

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 01:39:19 PM »
Yeah, I hear ya. The one thing I use "Solprof" for is when creating proposals. Clipping planes just don't work like I'd like em to, and I need to make clear what the intent is without a bunch of clutter. And besides, I'm the only one here, so I can do whatever the heck I want. Nyaaaa!

:-)

craigr

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 02:11:00 PM »
Thanks for all of the responses, I knew I could count on you folks.

From what I have heard, I don't think we will switch to putting all pages on tabs within one dwg.

Probably the biggest thing that I didn't think about is the 2 people working on a different page of the same set of dwgs. The next thing is the lack of being able to print all tabs without the prg'ing(?) mentioned above. Another thing that comes to mind is the rev's part - We include the Rev number at the end of our file name. We often update only one page of a set of dwgs, using the tabs would make it difficult to retain old revs of a dwg - which is required for some customers.

Thanks again for all of your responses,
craigr

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007, 02:13:08 PM »
A downside to this is file corruption.
This is one reason that ALWAYS comes up in a discussion of multiple sheet files, but is it really a problem??  How many files do you have corrupted beyond repair in a year?
From the same paragraph you took that quote from:
Quote from: Me
But in the 7 years we've been doing it this way we haven't lost 1 drawing.
I threw it out there because it CAN happen. Especially if the vertical product is Civil3D.....many reports of munged drawings with C3D, I happen to have had just one. *knocks on wood* Which was a test project.