Author Topic: Autocad locking up incredibly too much  (Read 10620 times)

Josh Nieman

Autocad locking up incredibly too much
« on: May 10, 2007, 11:06:14 AM »
I have been having problems getting any dang work done, the last couple days.

Autocad just keeps LOCKING UP.

I am using the basic Dell mouse that came with the computer now, because I smashed the crap out of my primary mouse in a fit of anger.

I'm seriously getting pissed off here.

I can't preview the plot the past few tries; the layout has 4 viewports, all set to "hidden" shadeplot, 2 of these viewports have active clipping planes, but I've NEVER had a problem with this before, EVER.

I've been saving after every other command, just about, but the time lost waiting "maybe it's not locked up this time... maybe it's just thinking" is freaking HORRIBLE.

I don't know what the problem is.  Is it the application... is there a hardware problem.. Where should I start looking?  I have no clue.  I'm at a wits end, because these problems are not consistently happening, either.

Atook

• Swamp Rat
  • AKA Tim
Re: Autocad locking up incredibly too much
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 11:10:35 AM »
A couple things.

1st: Any MS Word objects in your drawings? If so, have you run the MS Word update? (included in windows update) Apparently that was causing some problems. If so, maybe uninstalling that will help.

2nd: You've got anger issues grasshoppah. Relax a little. You rave about how good your job is; tell your boss computer $h@t is getting to you and take the rest of the day off to go fishing or something.

Tuoni

• Gator
  • I do stuff, and things!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 11:11:14 AM »
I would start by looking at your task manager and seeing the memory/CPU usage for applications, restarting some processes if their memory/CPU usage is abnormally high.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 11:19:30 AM »
A couple things.

1st: Any MS Word objects in your drawings? If so, have you run the MS Word update? (included in windows update) Apparently that was causing some problems. If so, maybe uninstalling that will help.

2nd: You've got anger issues grasshoppah. Relax a little. You rave about how good your job is; tell your boss computer $h@t is getting to you and take the rest of the day off to go fishing or something.

I thought about MS updates and stuff like that, but I haven't even done the latest update, it's sitting in my taskbar reminding me daily, but I neglected it.

My job is great, my boss is concerned about my computer, he's well aware of my frustrations, but I'm the one best educated to troubleshoot this problem, and I can't just leave the office knowing that this is going on.  We have some tight stuff to get done, and if the problem is that I can't get work done for whatever reason... taking an afternoon off is the last thing I need.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 11:21:04 AM »
I would start by looking at your task manager and seeing the memory/CPU usage for applications, restarting some processes if their memory/CPU usage is abnormally high.

I've checked on that a couple times, and everything seemed kosher.  I notice that the amount of memory acad.exe uses varies from 256,000kb to 1,300,000kb (roughly from memory)

CPU usage tends to only go high when acad freezes.  Otherwise it's running at nice, cool, low levels.

I'll monitor these things a bit more though.

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 11:21:49 AM »

Is this video of you when you were a kid Josh?

Tuoni

• Gator
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 11:27:58 AM »
CPU usage tends to only go high when acad freezes.  Otherwise it's running at nice, cool, low levels.

I apologise if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here... but also keep a watchful eye on any processes which peak at the same time as acad hangs in case it's actually a different process causing your issues by f^cking up acad for you.  It could be any number of things - bad memory, for example, can cause hangs, though normally followed by the Blue screen of death.

deegeecees

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 11:32:09 AM »
 :-o

Josh Nieman

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 11:38:49 AM »

I apologise if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here... but also keep a watchful eye on any processes which peak at the same time as acad hangs in case it's actually a different process causing your issues by f^cking up acad for you.  It could be any number of things - bad memory, for example, can cause hangs, though normally followed by the Blue screen of death.

I welcome any suggestions as I feel I'm walking in the dark here.  For the record, the only other things I've had open at the time of the hanging, is Outlook, Excel, and Windows Media Player.  I always have those running no different today than ever, months ago.

I also note that right now all I have open is Firefox and the task manager, and my CPU usage is bouncing around 50%....

deegeecees

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 11:39:43 AM »
Virus/Adware/Spyware scanned?

Josh Nieman

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 11:41:15 AM »

I welcome any suggestions as I feel I'm walking in the dark here.  For the record, the only other things I've had open at the time of the hanging, is Outlook, Excel, and Windows Media Player.  I always have those running no different today than ever, months ago.

I also note that right now all I have open is Firefox and the task manager, and my CPU usage is bouncing around 50%....

it was one of the SVHost processes causing 50% CPU usage... just ended it and my CPU usage is down to 5%

Forgive my ignorance, but what the heck do the SV Host processes control..

ok... what the crap... my Windows XP just switched appearences from Windows XP to Windows Classic, then switched only a few graphics back to the XP look... what the crap is going on here.

Tuoni

• Gator
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 11:46:55 AM »
it was one of the SVHost processes causing 50% CPU usage... just ended it and my CPU usage is down to 5%

Svchost.exe is a handler for processes running from dlls, it's a generic process which acts on behalf of a dll, in effect.

ok... what the crap... my Windows XP just switched appearences from Windows XP to Windows Classic, then switched only a few graphics back to the XP look... what the crap is going on here.
That sounds like a lack of memory to me.  That's the only time I have ever seen that (but I always have my gui on classic anyways so I wouldn't often see it :wink:) but I dunno... themes are in a dll - is that run as an executable by svchost?  I can't see why that would happen other than something is going mental on your pc lol - I would suggest it's a service rather than an app such as ff or wmp.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 11:49:27 AM »

Svchost.exe is a handler for processes running from dlls, it's a generic process which acts on behalf of a dll, in effect.

Thanks.  I'll chalk that up to my "learn something new every day" board!

That sounds like a lack of memory to me.  That's the only time I have ever seen that (but I always have my gui on classic anyways so I wouldn't often see it :wink:) but I dunno... themes are in a dll - is that run as an executable by svchost?  I can't see why that would happen other than something is going mental on your pc lol - I would suggest it's a service rather than an app such as ff or wmp.

I have 2gig RAM on here, and have been running with it for quite a while.  I think it's something going mental...  I'm doing a few scans right now to see.

Anyone suggest any good free spyware / adware scanners... I was just informed that the boss has neglected renewing the McAfee subscription, so I can't update my application.

Tuoni

• Gator
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 11:51:56 AM »
IMO:

Free Antivirus
Adaware

Should do the trick

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 11:55:11 AM »
  Did you try a different mouse?

Did the mouse you used previously have software installed for it?  (Intellipoint e.g.)

Anything else change a couple days ago other than the mouse?  Drawings from a different company?  When did McCafee subscription go away?  Did you try shutting that down and trying what has been hanging?

Atook

• Swamp Rat
  • AKA Tim
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2007, 11:56:43 AM »
All these problems on the same drawing? You tried previewing the drawing on a different machine?
 Does it happen on old versions of the drawing pulled from backup? You plotting to PDF? Updated those files? Seriously what have you updated, think about that, and don't dismiss anything.

Lastly, have you tried closing your eyes and counting down from 15 while you envision birds chirping while you hit the preview button? ;)

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2007, 11:59:15 AM »
This is the virus scan I use at home.
housecall.trendmicro.com
Tim

I don't want to ' end-up ', I want to ' become '. - Me

Please think about donating if this post helped you.

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2007, 11:59:32 AM »
IMO:

Free Antivirus
Adaware

Should do the trick
I've been running AVAST (www.AVAST.com) for a few months and haven't had ANY problems with it.  It updates virus defs auto-magically and prompts you to install new updates when they become available.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2007, 12:02:17 PM »
  Did you try a different mouse?

Did the mouse you used previously have software installed for it?  (Intellipoint e.g.)

Anything else change a couple days ago other than the mouse?  Drawings from a different company?  When did McCafee subscription go away?  Did you try shutting that down and trying what has been hanging?

The mouse I'd been using has been with this computer for a number of months.  The mouse I switched to is a plain 'ol USB Dell Mouse that came with the computer.  Mcafee sub went away about... i dont know really.  It had been bugging me to be updated since I started with the company over a year ago, but when I told the boss I need the login information way back then he said he'd email it, never did, and eventually i stopped bugging him about it.  This time today he just said he needs to go in and re-purchase it.  He has the server protected, just not the PCs.

The drawings are stuff I've been working on for about a month, made from scratch from our own stuff that has caused no problems before, and no external drawings have been referenced or copied into these files at all.

I've tried restarting a number of times, and it only allows me to work for a short period of time before going ape-$#!+...

I'm going to try scanning with some more updated software and see if there's anything on my computer I'm not aware of.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2007, 12:04:53 PM »
Thank you everyone for the prompt, detailed, helpful information.  I had no idea if it was Autocad, Windows, Random, whether it was software or hardware... or what...

I have some leads now that I'm going to try and see what I can do.  Thank you much!

Atook

• Swamp Rat
  • AKA Tim
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2007, 12:06:28 PM »
If it's fairly consistent, try pulling one stick of RAM out. If it still happens, replace it and pull the other. RAM can go bad, but rarely both sticks at once.

If it's not a virus, it is sounding like a memory problem.

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2007, 12:07:15 PM »
G'luck

Don't use your CPU as a plant stand for real plants anymore. Ya know... the ones you have to water....

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2007, 12:32:32 PM »
Do you keep drawings on the server and work off the server or transfer them to your PC?

Has the server been rebooted recently?

Has your PC?

Josh Nieman

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2007, 03:27:57 PM »
Well, I'm calmer about the topic, but I have to say I am more bewildered and confused than before.

Before I could even try cleaning anything up (avast! is still virus scanning my system with nothing detected so far) I have not had Autocad crash, although I've not been working on 3d intensive stuff yet.  Mostly cleaning up 2d site plans that need to go out quick like.

I have a video card that is not recommended for use with Autocad, and I wonder if that has something to do with the hang ups, since it happens normally during 3dclip and other dynamically changing 3d views, though I always use 2d-wireframe while working.  My boss suggested that as being the problem as well, in case I need a new one, but I don't know if I would suggest wasting money on a high-end graphics card if it isn't the culprit.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2007, 03:53:08 PM »
....SPOKE TOO SOON.

Froze up when I tried a 3dclip within an active viewport.  The 3dclip window doesn't even pop up.

Memory usage of note:

Outlook: 90,120 kb
Firefox: 69,076 kb  (this is the only tab I have open in it)
acad.exe: 215,948 kb
explorer: 39,448 kb
wmplayer: 24,604 kb
excel: 23,884 kb
WINWORD: 50,024 kb

CPU usage is listed as 00 on all processes except task manager (02-03) firefox (08) acad (bounces around 50) explorer (02) and system idle process (24-31)

I just don't get it... it's consistently during either a 3dclip or a print preview (not pdf) with hidden viewports.  Does video card have anything to do with print previews?  I thought that would be processor computations and drivers creating the file, but I don't know this.

architecture68-raff

• Swamp Rat
  • Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K.
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2007, 03:59:02 PM »
Out of curiosity, what video card are you using?  Have you tried checking for updated drivers?  Couldn't hurt.
Chicago, Illinois
ADT 2005, Revit Architecture 2009, Sketchup 7

Josh Nieman

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2007, 04:13:57 PM »
Out of curiosity, what video card are you using?  Have you tried checking for updated drivers?  Couldn't hurt.

NVIDIA Geforce 6800 and I'm downloading the drivers now, but I am pretty sure I've kept it up to date.

architecture68-raff

• Swamp Rat
  • Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K.
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2007, 04:16:06 PM »
Also, if you were concerned about your memory but didn't want to crack open your case you could download a prog like
memtest86 and let it burn in overnight while you are at home
Chicago, Illinois
ADT 2005, Revit Architecture 2009, Sketchup 7

DaveW

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2007, 05:56:53 PM »
Josh,

It is possible that the end command event is firing in SmartLister.
There is no progress meter and because you are such a new user you probably forget about when it fires.

If it has anything to do with SmartLister type sset and take the chck out of automatic updating of ORIE data.

It is possible that this may help.

sinc

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2007, 08:11:56 AM »
I've been running AVAST (www.AVAST.com) for a few months and haven't had ANY problems with it.  It updates virus defs auto-magically and prompts you to install new updates when they become available.

FWIW, the IT consultant we bring in from time to time says she's seen things slip through Avast, and recommends AVG instead.

Tuoni

• Gator
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2007, 08:14:48 AM »
:) I always recommend AVG to anyone who will listen (as shown by my link)... it's scary how many things it picks up that have slipped through AV software such as Norton :/

Josh Nieman

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2007, 08:55:49 AM »
to be quite honest...

it was fewer clicks to download avast! than it was AVG.

THAT'S A WINNER IN MY BOOK.

But really, I am thinking about trying AVG because I'm not so sure I'm cool with avast!

sinc

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2007, 09:16:07 AM »
Have you tried disabling hardware support for graphics?  That should help pin down whether the problem is your graphics card, or something else.  Of course, if you turn off all hardware acceleration and force Autocad to do it all in software, you will probably notice performance issues.  However, if shutting off hardware acceleration makes things better, then that's a firm indication that there's a problem with the graphics.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2007, 09:30:18 AM »
Have you tried disabling hardware support for graphics?  That should help pin down whether the problem is your graphics card, or something else.  Of course, if you turn off all hardware acceleration and force Autocad to do it all in software, you will probably notice performance issues.  However, if shutting off hardware acceleration makes things better, then that's a firm indication that there's a problem with the graphics.

Dave actually called me at the office and walked me through a few steps to help increase my graphics card performance and help it work as intended for Autocad, and I think it's actually solved my problem.  I haven't had any problems at all since I took his advice, but this morning I'm working on some 2D site work stuff.  Once I get back into the 3d model and cutting details and sections from it, where the more precarious operations occur, I'll post back what the fix was if it worked as I think it has.  I just want to test it a bit more before I go giving anyone hope, who happens to search a similar problem.

deegeecees

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2007, 10:33:28 AM »
Good news Josh, crossing my fingers and holding my breath. *dgc takes deep breath and holds*

Josh Nieman

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2007, 08:25:56 PM »
To follow up on the situation, in case someone else runs into a similar snag, and this might actually apply to people who don't use only the nVidia GeForce 6800 videa card, as this probably applies to many similarly constructed cards:

Dave made the suggestion to set my video card to enable hardware acceleration (which is commonly suggested to be disabled if experiencing difficulty properly displaying visual styles... but seeing as how that's how I had it set, and I had crappy visual style performance, I figured I had nothing to lose ;) ) and instead of using the defaulted Direct 3D driver, to use OpenGL.

I used the default values it gave me:

Geometry Accelation ON
Smooth Line Display: OFF
Gooch Hardware Shader: ON
Full shadow display: OFF
Texture Compression: OFF

The rest I left to previous settings whether they were default, or slightly changed to suit my machine.

In addition to these Autocad particular settings, Dave suggested that I alter some of the video card settings, accessed by clicking the "Advanced" button on the "Settings" tab of the Windows Display Properties dialogue.

On the "GeForce 6800" tab, with the "Performance & Quality" tab active, via the left hand flyout, the lowest check box named "Application-controlled" on the Vertical Sync settings was unchecked (previously was checked) and forced settings "Off".  I should note that though the box was previously checked, the greyed-slider was set to 'off' before hand, but to make sure it was as suggested, I forced it manually, for assurance sake.

----

Given these changes, I've had not a single lock-up during 3dclip, print preview, or any related problems.  I've had one hang-up on a 3drotate command, but it was single, isolated, and I believe it to be one of those normal Autocad hissy fit scenarios where I may have been going a bit fast for it to keep pace with some of it's processes.

Conceptual visual style clicked on in a snap.  I've never had it go like this before.  It's not an extravagant amount, but the biggest bonus for me, is that before now, it had trouble figuring out what face to show on top of others... i'd have background pieces showing on top of others, and faces distorted and such.  Now it's showing quite accurately with only minor problems that seem typical.

Realistic visual style works 100% fine.  I have materials and textures applied to the model, multiple xrefs, 3d and 2d geometry.  Does regen slightly slow, but I think it is of an ordinary amount because of textures/materials.  A switch to a copy of "realistic" that does not show textures made it a little faster.

Overall it's actually improved performance and efficiency in almost every area, and if it didn't improve, it remained unchanged.

Quite a tip from Dave W!  Thank you so much, again!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 09:06:52 PM by Josh Nieman »

DaveW

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2007, 08:44:29 PM »
No probelm.

To clarify your remembrance of the settings above in the adapter: it is clicking on performance and quality settings, then clicking on vertical sync, then taking the check out of application controlled, then making sure the slider is to the left and off. I hope it continues to work. To be honest, I have no idea why it does. :)

Josh Nieman

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2007, 09:07:10 PM »
No probelm.

To clarify your remembrance of the settings above in the adapter: it is clicking on performance and quality settings, then clicking on vertical sync, then taking the check out of application controlled, then making sure the slider is to the left and off. I hope it continues to work. To be honest, I have no idea why it does. :)

Thanks for the clarification, I fixed my post.

sinc

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2007, 09:20:46 AM »
On a related note, I've noticed that the OpenGL drivers seem to work about 10x better than the Direct 3D drivers on ALL our nVidia graphics cards.

Before 2008, our graphics cards defaulted to OpenGL.  Starting in 2008, they default to Direct 3D.  After discovering the HUGE performance difference, I've switched all our machines back to OpenGL.

Don't know if Direct 3D performs better on Vista or not.  That might be what Autodesk was thinking - they're moving to Direct 3D on Vista.  But Direct 3D really seems to suck on XP.

DaveW

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2007, 11:57:59 AM »
On a related note, I've noticed that the OpenGL drivers seem to work about 10x better than the Direct 3D drivers on ALL our nVidia graphics cards.

Before 2008, our graphics cards defaulted to OpenGL.  Starting in 2008, they default to Direct 3D.  After discovering the HUGE performance difference, I've switched all our machines back to OpenGL.

Don't know if Direct 3D performs better on Vista or not.  That might be what Autodesk was thinking - they're moving to Direct 3D on Vista.  But Direct 3D really seems to suck on XP.

I think there is a misunderstanding here, Video cards can use hardware or software to drive them. As far as I know there is no OpenGL at all in ACAD 2008. The hardware acceleration is for direct3D. Please let me know if I am wrong.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2007, 02:12:37 PM »
As far as I know there is no OpenGL at all in ACAD 2008. The hardware acceleration is for direct3D. Please let me know if I am wrong.
Hera ya go....

DaveW

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2007, 12:07:32 PM »
Thanks Jeff.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2007, 12:34:39 PM »
Thanks Jeff.
Thanks for the Tips Guys
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans