Author Topic: Autocad locking up incredibly too much  (Read 10608 times)

Josh Nieman

Autocad locking up incredibly too much
« on: May 10, 2007, 11:06:14 AM »
I have been having problems getting any dang work done, the last couple days.

Autocad just keeps LOCKING UP.

I am using the basic Dell mouse that came with the computer now, because I smashed the crap out of my primary mouse in a fit of anger.

I'm seriously getting pissed off here.

I can't preview the plot the past few tries; the layout has 4 viewports, all set to "hidden" shadeplot, 2 of these viewports have active clipping planes, but I've NEVER had a problem with this before, EVER.

I've been saving after every other command, just about, but the time lost waiting "maybe it's not locked up this time... maybe it's just thinking" is freaking HORRIBLE.

I don't know what the problem is.  Is it the application... is there a hardware problem.. Where should I start looking?  I have no clue.  I'm at a wits end, because these problems are not consistently happening, either.

Atook

• Swamp Rat
  • AKA Tim
Re: Autocad locking up incredibly too much
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 11:10:35 AM »
A couple things.

1st: Any MS Word objects in your drawings? If so, have you run the MS Word update? (included in windows update) Apparently that was causing some problems. If so, maybe uninstalling that will help.

2nd: You've got anger issues grasshoppah. Relax a little. You rave about how good your job is; tell your boss computer $h@t is getting to you and take the rest of the day off to go fishing or something.

Tuoni

• Gator
  • I do stuff, and things!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 11:11:14 AM »
I would start by looking at your task manager and seeing the memory/CPU usage for applications, restarting some processes if their memory/CPU usage is abnormally high.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 11:19:30 AM »
A couple things.

1st: Any MS Word objects in your drawings? If so, have you run the MS Word update? (included in windows update) Apparently that was causing some problems. If so, maybe uninstalling that will help.

2nd: You've got anger issues grasshoppah. Relax a little. You rave about how good your job is; tell your boss computer $h@t is getting to you and take the rest of the day off to go fishing or something.

I thought about MS updates and stuff like that, but I haven't even done the latest update, it's sitting in my taskbar reminding me daily, but I neglected it.

My job is great, my boss is concerned about my computer, he's well aware of my frustrations, but I'm the one best educated to troubleshoot this problem, and I can't just leave the office knowing that this is going on.  We have some tight stuff to get done, and if the problem is that I can't get work done for whatever reason... taking an afternoon off is the last thing I need.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 11:21:04 AM »
I would start by looking at your task manager and seeing the memory/CPU usage for applications, restarting some processes if their memory/CPU usage is abnormally high.

I've checked on that a couple times, and everything seemed kosher.  I notice that the amount of memory acad.exe uses varies from 256,000kb to 1,300,000kb (roughly from memory)

CPU usage tends to only go high when acad freezes.  Otherwise it's running at nice, cool, low levels.

I'll monitor these things a bit more though.

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 11:21:49 AM »

Is this video of you when you were a kid Josh?

Tuoni

• Gator
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 11:27:58 AM »
CPU usage tends to only go high when acad freezes.  Otherwise it's running at nice, cool, low levels.

I apologise if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here... but also keep a watchful eye on any processes which peak at the same time as acad hangs in case it's actually a different process causing your issues by f^cking up acad for you.  It could be any number of things - bad memory, for example, can cause hangs, though normally followed by the Blue screen of death.

deegeecees

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 11:32:09 AM »
 :-o

Josh Nieman

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 11:38:49 AM »

I apologise if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here... but also keep a watchful eye on any processes which peak at the same time as acad hangs in case it's actually a different process causing your issues by f^cking up acad for you.  It could be any number of things - bad memory, for example, can cause hangs, though normally followed by the Blue screen of death.

I welcome any suggestions as I feel I'm walking in the dark here.  For the record, the only other things I've had open at the time of the hanging, is Outlook, Excel, and Windows Media Player.  I always have those running no different today than ever, months ago.

I also note that right now all I have open is Firefox and the task manager, and my CPU usage is bouncing around 50%....

deegeecees

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 11:39:43 AM »
Virus/Adware/Spyware scanned?

Josh Nieman

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 11:41:15 AM »

I welcome any suggestions as I feel I'm walking in the dark here.  For the record, the only other things I've had open at the time of the hanging, is Outlook, Excel, and Windows Media Player.  I always have those running no different today than ever, months ago.

I also note that right now all I have open is Firefox and the task manager, and my CPU usage is bouncing around 50%....

it was one of the SVHost processes causing 50% CPU usage... just ended it and my CPU usage is down to 5%

Forgive my ignorance, but what the heck do the SV Host processes control..

ok... what the crap... my Windows XP just switched appearences from Windows XP to Windows Classic, then switched only a few graphics back to the XP look... what the crap is going on here.

Tuoni

• Gator
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 11:46:55 AM »
it was one of the SVHost processes causing 50% CPU usage... just ended it and my CPU usage is down to 5%

Svchost.exe is a handler for processes running from dlls, it's a generic process which acts on behalf of a dll, in effect.

ok... what the crap... my Windows XP just switched appearences from Windows XP to Windows Classic, then switched only a few graphics back to the XP look... what the crap is going on here.
That sounds like a lack of memory to me.  That's the only time I have ever seen that (but I always have my gui on classic anyways so I wouldn't often see it :wink:) but I dunno... themes are in a dll - is that run as an executable by svchost?  I can't see why that would happen other than something is going mental on your pc lol - I would suggest it's a service rather than an app such as ff or wmp.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 11:49:27 AM »

Svchost.exe is a handler for processes running from dlls, it's a generic process which acts on behalf of a dll, in effect.

Thanks.  I'll chalk that up to my "learn something new every day" board!

That sounds like a lack of memory to me.  That's the only time I have ever seen that (but I always have my gui on classic anyways so I wouldn't often see it :wink:) but I dunno... themes are in a dll - is that run as an executable by svchost?  I can't see why that would happen other than something is going mental on your pc lol - I would suggest it's a service rather than an app such as ff or wmp.

I have 2gig RAM on here, and have been running with it for quite a while.  I think it's something going mental...  I'm doing a few scans right now to see.

Anyone suggest any good free spyware / adware scanners... I was just informed that the boss has neglected renewing the McAfee subscription, so I can't update my application.

Tuoni

• Gator
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 11:51:56 AM »
IMO:

Free Antivirus
Adaware

Should do the trick

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 11:55:11 AM »
  Did you try a different mouse?

Did the mouse you used previously have software installed for it?  (Intellipoint e.g.)

Anything else change a couple days ago other than the mouse?  Drawings from a different company?  When did McCafee subscription go away?  Did you try shutting that down and trying what has been hanging?