Author Topic: AutoCAD... we have an app for that...  (Read 2006 times)

Lin-Z

AutoCAD... we have an app for that...
« on: December 07, 2010, 12:44:16 PM »
AutoCAD WS iPhone App by Autodesk Inc.

Has anyone else tried this out? 

It looks good, and the reviews are alright; but I'm a little wary seeing as my iPhone is only for music, books and otherwise non-productive, brain-cell-killing activities (Yes, I'm looking at you, Farmville and Tap-Tap-Revenge).

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
Re: AutoCAD... we have an app for that...
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 01:50:38 PM »
Speaking of brain-cell killing... Does it have a "Drink Beer" app?
I drink beer and I know things....

Lin-Z

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 01:57:02 PM »
Yes, I gave up counting at the 4th page...  :lol:

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 02:07:16 PM »
A quick review of the links....

I would suggest that it would be a far more productive tool if design object dimensions could be edited.
This simply reflects my idea that the 'review' process of drawings should be done at a higher level with the modeling, or design tool in hand.  And I'm not sure I'm in for my drawings or workspace being hosted within the cloud by autodesk.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

JCTER

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 02:23:41 PM »
I tried out their demo-drawings on my iPad.

It does not support 3D objects (yet) and so I kinda stopped there.

I think it's pretty awesome since they've recently added features to allow saving the drawing to your device, rather than relying on an internet connection to get your drawings FROM THE CLOUD (I will literally disembowel the next person that tries to tell me this "in the cloud" bullcrap is where things are going and I should jump on the wagon)

I bookmarked the WS dev blog: http://www.autocadws.com/blog to keep track of updates.

I like how you can track comments and movements, and how it line-item-lists every single object that was changed, and how it was changed, so that if someone needs to update the company drawing with the editted copy, it can be expedited.

It seems quite helpful/beneficial, and I look forward to it expanding features.  I could see it being handy to have a 3D model of some tanks, platforms, structures, piping, etc, when we do on-site inspections and construction admin responsibilities.  It's kind of exciting.

In our company, when dealing with client project managers, we're moving very far away from going over drawings with them.  More often we do 'model reviews' with them before we ever have anything "on paper" and when things are approved, -then- we start creating sheets.    I could see using this, as well, for showing clients doodads and thingamajigs.  Being able to have the model without relying on a laptop, in addition to the physical drawings is quite advantageous.

It's fairly quick and responsive as well when zooming/panning.  It's faster than google maps, that's for sure, and google maps doesn't bother me much.

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 02:32:35 PM »
I will literally disembowel the next person that tries to tell me this "in the cloud" bullcrap is where things are going and I should jump on the wagon
Rumor has it rendering for Revit will be in yonder clouds soon.  It may be closer for MAX or other high-end renderiffic programs like Mudbox (or as I refer to it.... Dirty Cooch  :lol:).
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

JCTER

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 02:44:20 PM »
I will literally disembowel the next person that tries to tell me this "in the cloud" bullcrap is where things are going and I should jump on the wagon
Rumor has it rendering for Revit will be in yonder clouds soon.  It may be closer for MAX or other high-end renderiffic programs like Mudbox (or as I refer to it.... Dirty Cooch  :lol:).
lmao @ "mudbox"

Rendering is already 'in the cloud' via Autodesk's service.  It's decently handy if you don't have a computer that can handle it yourself.  You set up the cameras and render preferences in your drawing, upload the drawing, it asks what view to render and using which render presets, you select which apply, and hit "SHAZAM" (may not actually be labeled shazam, offer not valid in California) and it sends it back to you when finished.

KOWBOI

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 02:58:56 PM »

Great.  Now I need to clean the coffee of my monitor.  And out of my nose.   :lmao:
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 04:47:43 PM »
I bookmarked the WS dev blog: http://www.autocadws.com/blog to keep track of updates.

false positive??

Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

JCTER

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 05:04:15 PM »
No, I'd say that's quite an accurate positive.

Norton blows goats.