Author Topic: Getting Started  (Read 2055 times)

psuchewinner

Getting Started
« on: November 30, 2009, 12:17:29 PM »
While Im fairly familiar with Vlisp, im seeing that .NET is also a way to program for ACAD.  How does one get started?  Is there a program to buy for it, etc....?

bikelink

Re: Getting Started
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 04:46:47 AM »
before autocad you must know c# or vb.net .

psuchewinner

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 10:02:24 AM »
is there an editor or program i need to buy?  I can learn the programming easy enough......it may take a while but i can learn it....but is there a stand alone program of interface that is needed.  if so, where and how much?

jmaeding

• Bull Frog
  • I'm just here for the Shelties.
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 12:51:57 PM »
You should:
1) get C# express free from MS
2) Get some beginner book on C# that will help explain things in a linear way.  You need to learn the dta types of .net and the looping/logic syntax.
3) Create a test project that does not start acad when run in debug so you can quickly try out little pieces of code at a time.  if you do not do this, you must wait for acad to start every time you want to test anything, no good.
4) Make a test project that does start acad when run in debug, so you can test code involving acad without messing up some real program.  Be sure to set the debug command line args so it loads a script that netloads the .dll from the debug folder.  This saves a lot of time when starting acad and getting to the point where you can test some command.
5) Decide on how you will organize your libraries of subroutines.  Lisp does not care on this, but .net makes you assign a namespace to subroutines.  This is actually good, as it helps with organization and keeping function names simple.  I recommend at least making one library for non-acad routines, and one that does involve acad.  Each library is actrually a project that can have several .cs files.  Each library should have the same namespace, and then you can subcategorize within if desired.
These libraries are the biggest deal in getting efficient with .net.
6) read up on "extension methods", as they allow you to add items onto the intellisense list - so nice!
7) make a standard list of using statements and alias names.  Try to keep the alias names short.
Then do practical things like start collecting exmples and trying things.
James Maeding

psuchewinner

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 02:51:43 PM »
thanks for the info.  I will start as you recommend.  i have found that dissecting other peoples programs is a good way for me to learn.

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 03:30:25 PM »
There are lots of examples here or check out Kean W.'s page at "Through the Interface" (google it)  He has lots of examples to dig through.
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)