Author Topic: CAD Interface  (Read 2591 times)

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
CAD Interface
« on: July 14, 2009, 12:52:28 AM »
Perhaps our next drafting interface tool? Bye Bye Mouse 8-)

http://www.pbs.org/kcet/wiredscience/video/231-touchtable.html
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: CAD Interface
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 06:58:30 AM »
5-7 years from now.... ^-^

looks like people would be trading in their Solitaire habit for Billards
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 07:01:35 AM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

craigr

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 12:14:02 PM »
I can't see us ever using it for CAD.

I looks like it would be pretty touch to draw with.

Pretty Cool though for other things. - I would LOVE to have one to play with.

craigr

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 01:55:59 PM »
I can see archies using it for the beginning of the design process when sitting down with clients, AHJs and what not. This and some simple app like Google Sketchup would be great at shortening the design and time with hopefully with higher degree of accuracy or producing what the client wanted.  But actually producing CDs with it no way.  

Very cool.

I really like the GIS analysis part.  That is even cooler than the table.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

craigr

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 02:04:03 PM »
I can see archies using it for the beginning of the design process when sitting down with clients, AHJs and what not. This and some simple app like Google Sketchup would be great at shortening the design and time with hopefully with higher degree of accuracy or producing what the client wanted.  But actually producing CDs with it no way.  

Very cool.

??? - the GIS analysis part?

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 02:15:51 PM »

Very cool.

??? - the GIS analysis part?
GeoSpatial Information System or Geographic information system   Very cool stuff.  A bit big brother but very useful in the stuff was shown (Military Intelligence, crime monitoring, etc.) or that scientific data such as weather impacts on fish migration.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 02:31:32 PM »
Perhaps our next drafting interface tool? Bye Bye Mouse 8-)

http://www.pbs.org/kcet/wiredscience/video/231-touchtable.html

Well I showed this to another cad monkey and apparently there is something out there YouTube about another table called Multi-Touch 3D Architecture Application.  Not in interview format but video with no voices.  I will see if I can track it down. 

GD's multi-touch table application for visualization of 3D architectural models presented at CeBIT 2008. It features several scalable architectural 2D plans. Multiple users can move and zoom these...

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 05:38:01 PM »
one can do the same GIS stuff with map....

however not quite as animated without making a lot of slides (themed maps) first....

that part of the application was pretty slick, and is probably proprietary software from ESRI written just for that device.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 12:11:35 AM »
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

CottageCGirl

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 09:21:32 AM »
on the orig launch video of the table last year, they showed restaurant applications where you just put your credit card on a circle on the table and drag in any part of the bill you want to pay...(easy way to split a check)

James Cannon

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 09:23:04 AM »
on the orig launch video of the table last year, they showed restaurant applications where you just put your credit card on a circle on the table and drag in any part of the bill you want to pay...(easy way to split a check)

I saw that vid!  That was pretty cool!

It's some very interesting technology and really cool, but wow, I'd hate to see what the kids do to such a table!  How do you make a surface scratch-resistant and strong enough to be kid-proof (is there such a thing?) and still allow touch-sensitivity?  I don't know how touch sensitivity works, maybe it has nothing to do with the actual surface.

craigr

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 09:31:19 AM »
When you watch the touch screens at mini-marts & fast-food places, they REALLY pound on the screen. So I'm guessing that they are pretty tough.

Though so are kids :)

craigr

James Cannon

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 09:42:12 AM »
When you watch the touch screens at mini-marts & fast-food places, they REALLY pound on the screen. So I'm guessing that they are pretty tough.

Though so are kids :)

craigr

My 2 1/2 year old never ceases to amaze me in just how talented a kid can be in finding a way to break or destroy something.  I've stopped buying toys with 'parts' and have instead started buying cheap things like colored fridge magnets to try and teach him his colors and give him something to interact with.  ...it's also funny watching him to try put two magnets together that oppose eachother, haha.... oh man, I'm a jerk.

craigr

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 09:55:21 AM »
My only grandchild, (so far), is about 2-1/2, this past w/e, he entertained us with his 'antics' like you describe.

Funny thing is that when our kids were that age, we didn't always think the 'antics' were funny.

It's amazing what kids can come up with.

My daughter just got married this past w/e and I did a lot of flashbacks in my mind of her as a toddler. Her nephew, (my grandson), entertained all of us at the Wedding.

CHERISH what you have, they grow up soooo fast. - (Take LOTS of photos & Videos).

craigr

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 11:12:50 AM »
555 KUBIK | facade projection |

"How it would be, if a house was dreaming"