Author Topic: Vanishing MText  (Read 3759 times)

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
Vanishing MText
« on: October 31, 2006, 03:59:39 PM »
Yeah go ahead laugh !

Try to Text Mask any of the Mtext then laugh.   :-D

After masking the text is gone, crossing window=nothing.  With allot of experimenting the only way to mask was to first use the Mtext background mask, then Text Mask, then remove the Mtext background. Weird. All because:

I wanted to Text Mask because the background mask w/ Mtext was not masking w/ the Savin printer and the "new/improved software" (the software is current), though everything is fine on any of the HP's, 11x17 or full. Tried a wipeout w/ a PL and the wipeout on the Savin shows as faint dot hatching, but I'm not really concerned with that now as much as the disappearing text.

If anyone wants to try it, its attached.      Advice?
Acad 2013 and XM
Back when High Tech meant you had an adjustable triangle

Dinosaur

Re: Vanishing MText
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 04:13:37 PM »
Did you try sending the mask to the back of the display order?

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 04:19:16 PM »
Only just now. Sending the mask back did not reveal any text, seriously the text is erased, gone, nada.  :?
Acad 2013 and XM

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 04:42:56 PM »
what if you erase the mask?
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 04:53:12 PM »
Only just now. Sending the mask back did not reveal any text, seriously the text is erased, gone, nada.  :?

Looking at the drawing, yes the text is missing.
Who did that? :evil:

<edit: speling>
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 05:03:34 PM by CAB »
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 05:09:38 PM »
CDR:
If tframes are on and the mask frame is erased the text is still gone, and I can't "unmask" because I can not pick a text to unmask.

CAB:
uhhhh, uhhhhh...wait one

Why would just today masking text seem to erase it?

Nobody knows ......the troubles I've seen.............Nobody knows my sorrow  :cry:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 05:13:53 PM by PHX cadie »
Acad 2013 and XM

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 05:13:36 PM »
CAB -> did you realize you spelled spelling wrong in your edit?

CADaver

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 05:15:50 PM »
GROUP select was on when you killed the masks and it got the text??  When you mask text, it makes the mask and the text a GROUP, if group select (pickstyle?) is on and you delete the mask, the text goes too.  Turn off group select then delete the mask.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 05:17:16 PM by CADaver »

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 05:21:43 PM »
CAB -> did you realize you spelled spelling wrong in your edit?
he he, just waiting for the spelling police to show up. 8-)
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 05:32:18 PM »
Tried all pickstyle options, ( 0-3 ), no go.
I'm not sure about the group select, I don't see any options other than Type and offset.

Whats weird is the fact the text is gone after masking, ( like it is covered, but draworder would fix that ), but I would think a crossing window would reveal 2 entities.

Acad 2013 and XM

Dinosaur

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 05:42:41 PM »
In the drawing you provided are there any of these masks?  The only masks I saw with 2k6 Civil 3D had pieces of regular text very visible in a cyan color on top.  I also tried masking some arbitrary mtext which reacted normally on screen and in a plot review.  I also repeatedly crashed the drawing.

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 05:53:28 PM »
What IS text mask?

I opened your drawing in a viewer and I guess I don't know what I'm looking for.

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 06:10:14 PM »
In the drawing you provided are there any of these masks?  The only masks I saw with 2k6 Civil 3D had pieces of regular text very visible in a cyan color on top. 

No, on the 2nd attachment I masked what Mtext on the LS Plan that I could find quickly. The text dissappears.

I also tried masking some arbitrary mtext which reacted normally on screen and in a plot review.  I also repeatedly crashed the drawing.

Text that was created new or existing text?  Text Mask or the background mask in Mtext edit? I had no problem w/ the Mtext background and plotting to HP, it when we would plot to the Savin the mask was not masking, so I suspect it was that plotter w/ the software "upgrade".  I try the Text mask @ home. Overkill at home worked where it didn't at work........reinstall? .......05  vs 02?

Something interesting, in the Express help under  Text Mask it stated masks in paper space will not mask MS entities.  ?  Until today its been working for years and still works with the HP"s      :?

Sorry about the crashes, I did an audit before posting that showed no errors
Acad 2013 and XM

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 06:18:12 PM »
Mask is what some would refer to as sloppy drafting   :-D

It will create a boundary ( or from a existing pline ) and blanks out the interior so lines under a text or Mtext are wiped out. Not sure of your viewer, frames can be turned off/on with the tframes command

Ohhh thanks Greg memory jog.....wipeout is not a problem. I've used wipe out and plotted, but I am I forever limited to wipeout when plotting to that %^&* Savin

For the person wanting a plotter, about 30 min after the Boss leaves, it will be at the bus stop 48th/Baseline  :evil:
Acad 2013 and XM

Dinosaur

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2006, 06:54:58 PM »
OK, now I see you were using the one express tool I don't like, for the similar problems.  I have seen it work for a few pieces of text and then new one will mask but earlier ones dissappear, zapps my leaders and any text that the frame touches the insert point, generally messes with mtext.  Tell the boss he has to live with lines through his text until he ponies up for a new plotter.