Author Topic: Standard Text & Dimension Style...  (Read 3437 times)

pmvliet

Standard Text & Dimension Style...
« on: June 22, 2004, 02:24:17 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I have a question about the Standard Text Style and Dimension Style.
We are currently trying to acheive some standardization and I am wondering if I should name my text style and dimension style "Standard" as provided in AutoCad?

I am hesitant to use "Standard" as at times I have a problem when I bring in a "Standard" text style from another drawing, it changes to the current style. This could be good, but yet it could be bad if that is not what I wanted. I also have a hard time re-defining "standard" as it always usually exists in a drawing. I belive dimension styles cause more of a problem then text styles.

I work with a lot of "other" peoples drawings and have come accross many different names and try to consolidate as best as I could.

Please share your thoughts both good and bad.

Thanks,
Pieter

nivuahc

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 02:38:13 PM »
As a general rule, I leave STANDARD for AutoCAD. It makes it difficult when you open someone elses drawing and their definition of what STANDARD should be and your don't exactly agree. Especially if you're talking about writing any routines around the assumption that A is supposed to equal A and A actually equals B.

In fact, when it comes to layers, and since we don't use any third-party software, I prefix our layer and dimension styles with my companies initals (what everyone calls us anyway) so that when a customer or an architect opens a drawing that we worked on it will be obvious at first glance what was put there by us.

hendie

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 03:24:12 PM »
I avoid using Standard[/i] as a style name or dimstyle name ~it leads to too much confusion and kerfuffle if you ever use anyone elses dwgs.  ~ I always use "mycompanyname-textstyle" & "mycompanyname-dimstyle" ~simple easy to recognise and fonts won't start behaving strangely if I import anyone elses drawings

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 03:30:44 PM »
The one thing about the "Standard" style name is that it is NOT Standard.
We don't use it.
I drink beer and I know things....

Andrea

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 10:28:54 AM »
I have just made an Utilities...

HT release 1.0 (Hyper Text)

This software allow user to make Mtext and Dtext without
creating layer, changing layer, changing textsize, Auto-Calculate the
Mview scale, create standard file and more...

if you'r interested give me your email and i will send you the software
this is a FREEWARE for ALL !!

:D
Keep smile...

diarmuid

• Bull Frog
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004, 11:44:06 AM »
in essence,

everything everyone says above is correct.  just to explain why sometimes your standard text is o.k. and sometimes it isn't.

standard is a text style name. NOT a font name.

under text style creation, you "tell" autocad that the standard text in this drawing(s) is simplex or romans or script (it doesn't matter).  your problem arises when you use other party drawings and the font that is "attached" to the standard setting is different.  this also applies to the width of the text, obliquing etc.

all you need to do to rectify this is..in the affected drawing change the font that is attached to the standard setting to your own.  when in doubt call it simplex.

i would suggest however that you apply what all of the others have suggested (i apply the same philosphy) an this prevents drawings in use that have text that is "pissed"

hth.
If you want to win something run the 100m, if you want to experience something run a marathon

Sam

• Bull Frog
Re: Standard Text & Dimension Style...
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 06:24:40 AM »
I have just made an Utilities...

HT release 1.0 (Hyper Text)

This software allow user to make Mtext and Dtext without
creating layer, changing layer, changing textsize, Auto-Calculate the
Mview scale, create standard file and more...

if you'r interested give me your email and i will send you the software
this is a FREEWARE for ALL !!

:D
dear andera
u can share this utility
Every time we waste electricity, we put our planet's future in the dark. Let's turn around our attiude and start saving power and our planet, before it's too late
http://www.theswamp.org/donate.html