Author Topic: Operating Systems for AutoCAD  (Read 2120 times)

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
Operating Systems for AutoCAD
« on: September 23, 2008, 09:12:41 AM »
Please excuse yet another dumb question from me.

Can the newer versions of AutoCAD (2009 versions and verticals) run on Windows 2000?

Many thanks in advance
T :-)
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Operating Systems for AutoCAD
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 09:16:20 AM »
NO

Issue

You want to know why AutoCAD 2009-based applications cannot be installed on workstations that are running Windows 2000.

Solution

Windows 2000 and Windows 95/98/ME are not supported platforms for this release. AutoCAD 2009 is only supported on Windows XP and Windows Vista workstations.

For more information see the AutoCAD 2009 System Requirements in the Standalone Installation Guide found on the AutoCAD 2009 installation disk.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=11705525&linkID=9240617
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 09:24:29 AM »
Thanks Michael...
Looks like some people will need new puters too.... boy oh boy, this mess is getting worse  :cry:
Windows 2000 and Windows 95/98/ME are not supported platforms for this release. AutoCAD 2009 is only supported on Windows XP and Windows Vista workstations.

For more information see the AutoCAD 2009 System Requirements in the Standalone Installation Guide found on the AutoCAD 2009 installation disk.
Erm, by the time you have bought the software, and opened the package, read the installation guide, THEN you realise that your OS isnt supported, isnt that a bit late

Kate M

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 02:09:43 PM »
Erm, by the time you have bought the software, and opened the package, read the installation guide, THEN you realise that your OS isnt supported, isnt that a bit late
Nah, all the specs are online.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 02:12:58 PM »
Thanks Kate, I'd read that, including the Windows XP/Vista, but it never occured to me that it wouldnt run under Windows 2000

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 02:56:47 PM »
Thanks Michael...
Looks like some people will need new puters too.... boy oh boy, this mess is getting worse  :cry:

Perhaps you folks should float your questions past myself prior to having any and all conversations with your autodesk vendor.  As I have nothing to gain by hiding these type of facts from you, because ultimately I will not be SELLING you the product(s) so there is no reason for subterfuge or distraction on my part.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 02:59:35 PM »

Perhaps you folks should float your questions past myself....

So I was thinking of switching to Geico for my auto insurance...

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 03:12:18 PM »
Thanks for the offer Michael.
I think we're nearly there. I could only find one computer with 2000 on, so I hope its not going to cause us many problems as we can swap this one out with another one for the time being.

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 03:16:07 PM »

Perhaps you folks should float your questions past myself....

So I was thinking of switching to Geico for my auto insurance...

No, no, no!  Go with Progressive.  With the money you'll save you can buy yourself a big, tricked out name tag!
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

sinc

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 03:22:07 PM »
Not to mention, Geico is prejudiced against cavemen.

craigr

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 04:27:05 PM »
So why won't 2000 work?

Is it on the 32bit Kernal or 16?

craigr

sinc

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 04:57:33 PM »
I'm not precisely sure why it doesn't work, but 2000 is basically "NT 5.0".  Back when it was released, Microsoft still had two distinct lines of Windows, the Win95 (aka glorified DOS) kernel, and the NT kernel.  These two lines were merged into one with the release of Windows XP, which has also been called "NT 5.1".  XP is still pretty close to 2000, but XP also introduced a fair number of new features.  I would guess that Autocad now uses some of these new features, but I'm not sure exactly which ones are responsible for making it incompatible with Windows 2000.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 07:51:20 PM »
Not to mention, Geico is prejudiced against cavemen.

Yes, only they LOVE clowns!  So that would be a safe choice, unless you are afraid of Reptiles, then use All-state
Be your Best

Michael Farrell