Author Topic: Civil 3D Setup 101  (Read 2894 times)

Dinosaur

Civil 3D Setup 101
« on: June 20, 2005, 09:20:01 PM »
Here is a freebie, the most important part of what I spent many nickles and traveled many miles to learn.  I apologize for the length.  Good Luck

The best way to use this template is to start a drawing with it as it is now an make some objects and label them using the styles provided to see how they will appear.  Experiment by turning visibility on and off for different elements.  Be advised, the only way to assure that any changes you make will actually take effect is to click the "APPLY" button BEFORE  you click "OK".  SOME changes may not require this step, but if you get into the habit you will save yourself much frustration.  Find where to change the labels by adding or removing elements or change their content and position.  When you have a label or style that looks the way you want save it under its own name.
It is important for anyone starting to use this program to understand that there are NO shortcuts.  The only way to insure the results you want are to start with a BLANK acad.dwt template and begin building your own custom template each setting and style at a time.  Begin by putting in place all of the layers and styles that you have in your standards  Start at the top of the settings tree in toolspace where you  can change drawing, label and xml settings and make every setting there the way you want  There are two very important things to do here if you want to effectively build a template - there is a check box in the lower left of the layer tab that must be "checked" and MOST IMPORTANT under the Ambient Settings tab under "general", second line answer "YES" to Save Command Changes to Settings if you wish to preserve your sanity.  There are several categories that must be addressed under these Ambient Settings and it is important they all are adjusted to your requirements, by default the do not match any typical drawing standards known to man. Start with your most commonly used scale.  Once this template is built you can copy it, change the scale on the first tab and the second template for a new scale is now finished.  As you continue with this process there will be many opportunities to make a copy of a style that you like and modify it for a different situation.  Defaults can be set for each type of object or group that will make this process less painful than I have described.

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
Civil 3D Setup 101
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 11:39:20 AM »
wow.. thxs
Civil3D 2020