Author Topic: network license costs  (Read 3828 times)

danallen

network license costs
« on: July 18, 2013, 08:51:37 PM »
Is there a rule of thumb for added cost of autocad network licenses vs stand alone license?

this blog mentions 125%, http://civil3d.wordpress.com/2009/05/07/autodesk-licensing-for-the-confused/

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
Re: network license costs
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 09:47:20 AM »
I don't recall the price being any different for standalone vs. network licenses. I went with standalone and created a deployment that has our group key built in because I'm not really a fan of having to host a licensing server.

IMO .. the Bentley Select licensing (Bentley hosted server) has been the most user friendly system :).

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 09:56:49 AM »
Network licenses have always been more expensive than stand-alone.  Call your local reseller for a quote.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 10:05:37 AM »
Network licenses have always been more expensive than stand-alone.  Call your local reseller for a quote.

That seems bassackwards ?

Custom Build PC

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 10:11:33 AM »

That's been the norm around these parts for quite some time.  I don't have the exact numbers but they've always been slightly more.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

M-dub

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 10:14:10 AM »

Yep.
IIRC, the network activation fee was somewhere around $1,000 or so. 

M-dub

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 10:17:23 AM »

To some degree, it does.  But, look at it like this:
Instead of Company A buying 6 standalone licenses for 6 people who will infrequently use the software, they buy 1 network license and share the software amongst themselves.  So, they (Autodesk) sell the software at whatever unit price, and then, to grab some of the money they lost out on because Company A now buys only one license instead of 6, they charge them a little extra (for the network activation fee) to install and use their software on 6 (or more) different pc's.

If I understand it correctly, that is... :)

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 10:33:10 AM »
We should charge them for having to host the license server :P :). (if it's still that way)

Custom Build PC