Author Topic: Opening Autocad  (Read 3267 times)

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
Opening Autocad
« on: July 27, 2004, 08:03:19 AM »
Why does it take so long of the regeneration of the model when you open autocad? anyone know why?
Civil3D 2020

daron

Opening Autocad
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 08:16:37 AM »
Depends on what's in the drawing. For starters, your cache has been cleared and instead of recalling the last time autocad was opened from the cache, autocad has to do a full restart each time. The drawings I have to work with have many xref's and images. Each block reference of an xref adds to the regeneration time and images are worse. If the image is without the display and moves into the display, it needs to be regenerated. Sometimes it goes into the cache and others it don't. Hope that helps.

sinc

Opening Autocad
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 08:59:11 AM »
Also, it looks like you're using LDD.  A huge part of LDD is implemented as Lisp, and a bunch of this Lisp is loaded the first time you open a drawing that's attatched to a project (notice the string of Loading <filename>,,, messages scrolling past in the command window).

MSTG007

• Gator
Opening Autocad
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 09:43:47 AM »
what about just opening the cad and opening the template drawing acad.t?? file.
Civil3D 2020

Jassper

Opening Autocad
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 04:10:08 PM »
Are you on a server? - the speed of transfer makes a difference

I can actually work faster than the server and crash AutoCAD....Poor system we have here. When we move into our new Building it will be better... Faster

Zoom Zoom Buzzz Buzzzz

Linda

t-bear

Opening Autocad
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 04:30:49 PM »
Jass.... that's the same thing we have here, slow server, antiquated networking hub and a new building ..... someday.....
This thing's been in the works forEVER!!! and they just took my phone for the new engineer.....GRRRrrrr!  "It's 'temporary', Ted. Just 'til we get into the new building" .... which hasen't even been STARTED!  

(now y' got ME started......)

sinc

Opening Autocad
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 04:41:33 PM »
My company made the mistake of installing a wireless network everywhere; Autocad is essentially unusable over it.  Until we get it switched back to a wired one, we've been moving projects from computer to computer as needed... (and, yes, that's caused problems...)

("Wireless is the way to go," said the IT guy who had never used Autocad...  :shock: )

MSTG007

• Gator
Opening Autocad
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2004, 04:48:42 PM »
hey do you think a switch is better than a hub?
Civil3D 2020

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Opening Autocad
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2004, 05:10:10 PM »
Quote from: MSTG007
hey do you think a switch is better than a hub?

Yes!
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Opening Autocad
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2004, 06:03:41 PM »
Well it is all relative now isn't it...

Lets see now ....

I am holding in my right hand a Cisco WS-C1924-A switch

And in my left hand I have a 3COM 3C250A hub

I'll take the 3COM than you belly much...

Actually the above is a trick answer...

All things the samea switch is better than a hub, but given if the hub is a full duplex and the switch is not .. the hub would be my choice... or the hub is 100Mbps while the switch is 10Mbps then the hub is still my choice....

I hope I have not confused you...
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Opening Autocad
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2004, 08:23:33 PM »

Inside the hub, all ports are connected to others. The network via hub connects all stations together, sharing the same path with much possibility of collision. It means that when 5 PCs connected to a 100Mbps hub, these 5 PC will share the 100Mbps and each PC could obtain 20Mbps bandwidth. Also, when one port in a hub receives a data frame, it will copy this frame to all ports in that hub. The features will cause serious collision when the traffic increases.

Inside the switch, the ports are connected to each other only when addressed. The network via switch connects stations only when they access each other. Each port on a 100Mbps switch has dedicated 100Mbps bandwidth. A switch will learn the attached PC's MAC address. When receiving a data frame, it will check MAC table. If the switch finds the MAC address in the table, it will transfer the data directly to that port instead of copy to all ports. That's why there is seldom collision in a switch.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

MSTG007

• Gator
Opening Autocad
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2004, 11:23:10 PM »
perfect!
Civil3D 2020