Author Topic: To upgrade memory for HP DesignJet 1050c  (Read 6729 times)

hyposmurf

To upgrade memory for HP DesignJet 1050c
« on: November 23, 2005, 03:55:13 PM »
OK I've gone from a OcéTDS400 at my last place to a HP DesignJet 1050c here.So things are not so fast :-).If I get a slightly larger drawing file than normal the plotter runs out of memory.A way around this is to change a setting in the PC3 file to plot "in computer" if the plotter runs out of memory.This however slows my PC down.I'm thinking maybe we need to purchase extra RAM?Where will I be able to view how much RAM is installed?Will extra RAM make a huge difference?I guess this will just send the info to the plotter quicker the plotting time will be the same? :|

OK found this:
http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product.asp?sku=1000382
But is that it,32MB ?  :? Thats not much of an upgrade,do you buy numerous modules?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 03:59:27 PM by hyposmurf »

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Re: To upgrade memeory for HP DesignJet 1050c
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 04:00:51 PM »
Usually there is a utility built into the printer to show all of the installed features. Installing memory is pretty easy (if you have an expansion slot) On my HP, there is a slot in the back that you must remove the cover to, and add the memory to the board.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

hyposmurf

Re: To upgrade memory for HP DesignJet 1050c
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 04:24:13 PM »
Nice.Is that right though 32MB of RAM?Can you add multiple RAM modules ?$79 ishnt bad, maybe theyl buiy it at work if I mention it, if not it might be worth the CAD staff digging in their pocket so that our day is a little easier.How will it improve the plotter performance?Will it mechanically plot faster or does it just process the information to plotter faster?
Also are there any settings that are best set to increase performance?I know theres drafdt plot but the results are just crap.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 04:54:15 PM »
If memory serves correct (we no longer use our DesignJet) you can upgrade to 128MB by using 2 64mb dimms. You should realize though that the only improvement will be the ability of the plotter to receive information and process it. The printing will continue with little improvement uinless you are using the option that plots while the data is being sent. This is usually the desired configuration when the memory is not sufficient for the file. In those instances, optimization is done at the PC level and not at the plotter level ... although I have never understood that since there really isn't a pen that must be optimized...

hyposmurf

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 05:06:28 PM »
OK found some more info from the HP website:
Memory, std.
   64 MB
Memory, max.
   256 MB
Hard disk
   Optional, 2 GB

Hard drive?Like a seperate PC with hard drive for the plotter or just a hard drive one someones PC for the plotter to use?
The printing will continue with little improvement uinless you are using the option that plots while the data is being sent. This is usually the desired configuration when the memory is not sufficient for the file.In those instances, optimization is done at the PC level and not at the plotter level ...
So even if we purchase enough memory that setting to use my PC will have to be checked for drawings that are larger? Also how do I foind out what driver my plotter is using?

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 06:07:21 PM »
We generally use the system printer and let windows manage the print que It seems to work for us.

The hard drive option is one that is pluged into the printer itself as a peripheral, not as a seperate PC. Our laserjet came with a 40gb hd and 512mb memory ... bu tI think it is way too much than we actually need.

Dinosaur

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 08:29:35 PM »
We send our plots to a pc3 file on the server and let them spool from there to our little HP500C with a Jet Direct card to the network and NO on-board memory.  Even huge Civil 3D files will clear the workstation in about 15 seconds.  Occasionally on a batch job there may be 4 or 5 files backed up and performance bogs down but that is rare.

hyposmurf

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2005, 07:57:20 AM »
Just discovered that our plotter driver is out of date.Going to get our IT to do it when he gets some time.Hope theres some improvemnt. :-)

hyposmurf

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 02:38:30 PM »
No improvement as they wont update the driver.Why should they the existing one works. :roll:.

We send our plots to a pc3 file on the server and let them spool from there to our little HP500C with a Jet Direct card to the network and NO on-board memory.

Is it possibvle then if I copy my PC3 file onto our network then direct AutoCAD to use that PCS file it will spool from the network?Very little distrubance to my PC,that sounds like a dam neat idea :-)

Dinosaur

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2006, 03:49:26 PM »
I am not sure exactly how the IT has it set up, but the pc3 files we use do specify that they are on the server.  I can send a 30 sheet set to the plotter and still be able to keep working the entire time it is plotting.  The only delay is the time it takes to generate the plot file.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 11:27:30 PM by DinØsaur »

hyposmurf

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2006, 04:03:34 PM »
If I go into the plotter manager and run through the wizard it lets me use a PC3 file from a network location.Suppose this would be what I want.Just a little worried If anything goes wrong as Ive not been there long.Maybe the network will be slower :-).Will try it when Im back in the office.

Dinosaur

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2006, 04:41:11 PM »
In our case, there is little effect on the network, the server does get pretty busy during a plot not enough to bog things down.  Most f the time our server is loafing around looking for something else to do anyway.  I would guess it depends on the network capacity and how close you are to maxing it out.

hyposmurf

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2006, 05:20:55 PM »
Well Ill give it a try my PC slows down when I go to plot.I also find that when the plotter is active even if I havent sent the plot my PC will slow down.

hyposmurf

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2006, 10:52:50 AM »
OK seems you can install a PC3 file on anetwork and use that one to plot from:
http://www.theswamp.org/forum/index.php?topic=8420.0

hyposmurf

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2006, 06:18:47 AM »
Another plotter configuration question.Our plotter is a available on our network.If I upgrade the driver on my PC for that plotter will it effect the network driver or cause any problems?I'd like to be using the latest drivers my boss wnats to stay with an outdated version.