Author Topic: Unlicensed Acad from your teacher  (Read 26837 times)

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Re: Unlicensed Acad from your teacher
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2009, 10:43:08 AM »
Those who can, do... those who can't... teach.  I learned more on theSwamp, in a few months than my entire academic career.

So what are the folks here? doers or teachers?

what what whaaaaaaaaat?  A "few" instances?  You're joking right?  I'll eat my hat if you go through the "Dynamic Blocks" section and tell me that less than 3/4 of the threads pertaining to a specific project/problem did not benefit from the uploading of the drawing.

dynamic blocks are but a fraction of the problems people request help with, as evidenced by the huge number of topics in other CAD related forum subjects

Now who's spinning.

I'm talking about reality, not your ideal, contrived, world where people won't fear the plot stamp.  Simple fact: people run like gazelle from a lion when someone says "Warning: educational file!"

I don't mind helping people with an educational file either... I click right on by the warning Autocad pops up... doesn't change the simple fact that most don't.  Reality.

No spin whatsoever .. the gazelle pace at which people flee an "educational drawing" is due to ignorance on their part, just like early Europeans didn't eat tomatos because they were poison .. and those who did were obviously witches because they didn't die .. that doesn't make tomatos bad, it just makes the masses ignorant ... and quite honestly, would you want to take advice from someone like that?
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

James Cannon

« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2009, 10:46:06 AM »
Those who can, do... those who can't... teach.  I learned more on theSwamp, in a few months than my entire academic career.

So what are the folks here? doers or teachers?

what what whaaaaaaaaat?  A "few" instances?  You're joking right?  I'll eat my hat if you go through the "Dynamic Blocks" section and tell me that less than 3/4 of the threads pertaining to a specific project/problem did not benefit from the uploading of the drawing.

dynamic blocks are but a fraction of the problems people request help with, as evidenced by the huge number of topics in other CAD related forum subjects

Now who's spinning.

I'm talking about reality, not your ideal, contrived, world where people won't fear the plot stamp.  Simple fact: people run like gazelle from a lion when someone says "Warning: educational file!"

I don't mind helping people with an educational file either... I click right on by the warning Autocad pops up... doesn't change the simple fact that most don't.  Reality.

No spin whatsoever .. the gazelle pace at which people flee an "educational drawing" is due to ignorance on their part, just like early Europeans didn't eat tomatos because they were poison .. and those who did were obviously witches because they didn't die .. that doesn't make tomatos bad, it just makes the masses ignorant ... and quite honestly, would you want to take advice from someone like that?

People still run from the stamp though: fact.  Possible help is lost.

Do students not need to learn about Dynamic Blocks?  That is one example, but a good one... it's far from the only topic aided up uploading drawings, either.

James Cannon

« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2009, 10:48:10 AM »
What damage is done if a student uses a cracked version?  What damages does Autodesk have to say they have incurred?

Sorry, that is not a legitimate reason to steal, at least not as far as I am concerned.

Steal what?  What is Autodesk missing?

Anyone?

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2009, 10:56:23 AM »
Dynamic blocks are indeed a good example of how a drawing is helpful to resolve issues, however, it isn't a fault of the plot stamp, it is a fault of ignorant people running around like chicken little. I'd be less likely to ask for help from someone like that anyway ... if they are that afraid of a drawing that they dare not even download it, then they have some serious issues already .. not the kind of help I need .. sorry

What damage is done if a student uses a cracked version?  What damages does Autodesk have to say they have incurred?

Sorry, that is not a legitimate reason to steal, at least not as far as I am concerned.

Anyone?
They are missing revenue from those who would continue to use the pirated version, they are losing the rights granted to them under copyright law to control who has legitimate rights to use their software.

If you were to design a building and you sell those plans to one person, would you be upset if he gave out thousands of copies to his friends and collegues around the world so they too could build a building using your plans?

James Cannon

« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2009, 11:00:43 AM »
Dynamic blocks are indeed a good example of how a drawing is helpful to resolve issues, however, it isn't a fault of the plot stamp, it is a fault of ignorant people running around like chicken little. I'd be less likely to ask for help from someone like that anyway ... if they are that afraid of a drawing that they dare not even download it, then they have some serious issues already .. not the kind of help I need .. sorry

So if the stamp wasn't there, the chicken littles would be able to help, though, right?  Help with the basics that a student might need doesn't always require a master artisan of the software.

What damage is done if a student uses a cracked version?  What damages does Autodesk have to say they have incurred?

Anyone?
They are missing revenue from those who would continue to use the pirated version, they are losing the rights granted to them under copyright law to control who has legitimate rights to use their software.

Oh yea, I forgot, Autodesk makes a lot of cash off those student versions... my bad.

If you were to design a building and you sell those plans to one person, would you be upset if he gave out thousands of copies to his friends and collegues around the world so they too could build a building using your plans?

Your apples taste like oranges.  Extremely spun, lie-coated, FUD-injected oranges.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2009, 11:08:50 AM »
your arguments are getting more lame by the post ...

So if the stamp wasn't there, the chicken littles would be able to help, though, right?  Help with the basics that a student might need doesn't always require a master artisan of the software.

you are correct, but the masters would still be there and would be willing to help .. I guess it comes down to .. would you prefer help from Luke or Obi Wan .. or would you forgo help from the masters just so chicken little could help .. how silly an argument is that

Oh yea, I forgot, Autodesk makes a lot of cash off those student versions... my bad.

Please re-read my comment .. your attempts at twistery did not go unnoticed

Your apples taste like oranges.  Extremely spun, lie-coated, FUD-injected oranges.

So, you would be ok with it then .. you are alot more magnanimous than 300 million others in this country

James Cannon

« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2009, 11:39:22 AM »
:|

I'm done.

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2009, 11:58:18 AM »

I'm done.
*Sticks a fork in JC* 

Yup!  He is!

James Cannon

« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2009, 12:17:51 PM »

I'm done.
*Sticks a fork in JC* 

Yup!  He is!

[voice=Pilsbury Doughboy]  hooHOOOOOO [/voice]

Bob Garner

« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2009, 02:03:30 PM »
Wow, there's almost a full week on this thread.  Tonight, we're going out for dinner there again and I have a bunch of electrical substation structural Acad drawings I want to give to Amy (the one with the subject professor).  I'm trying to talk her into going into structural instead of architectural. 

So, anyone wanna say anything to Amy or give her a message for her prof??

Bob G.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2009, 02:05:06 PM »
Thanks for the abstract lesson in loose morals...
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

James Cannon

« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2009, 02:13:56 PM »
Wow, there's almost a full week on this thread.  Tonight, we're going out for dinner there again and I have a bunch of electrical substation structural Acad drawings I want to give to Amy (the one with the subject professor).  I'm trying to talk her into going into structural instead of architectural. 

Bob G.

"Good to see there're teachers that still care about their students" ?

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2009, 02:17:11 PM »

Bob G.

Ask her if there are also courses in ethics, and if she is enrolled in them.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

James Cannon

« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2009, 03:12:01 PM »
I agree.  This country is rampantly overpowered by people who have replaced "ethical" with "legal" in the world of right and wrong.  Some philosophy or ethics classes would be a very good way to open the mind the enable stronger thinking.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2009, 03:29:00 PM »
I agree.  This country is rampantly overpowered by people who have replaced "ethical" with "legal" in the world of right and wrong.  Some philosophy or ethics classes would be a very good way to open the mind the enable stronger thinking.

Me thinks you just might be confusing the two myself.

Just because you do not believe what you are doing isn't illegal, does not make doing it ethical.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/