Author Topic: Fields in Title Blocks?  (Read 3014 times)

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
Re: Fields in Title Blocks?
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2009, 12:12:44 PM »
FIELDEVAL doesn't help, sometimes, I notice, if the field is within an xref, at times.  Sometimes the only solution is to reload the xref manually to get the field to update.  I just incorporated that into a plotting macro I use for jobs where the TB has fields in it, and is xref'd into each layout.

If you add a field to the drawing all fields in XREF's will update as they should.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 02:20:26 PM »
Rather than hijack a previous post, I thought I should start a different one.

What advantage is it to use Fields in a Title Block.

We use MText for our text.

It I need to change 100 dwgs title blocks, I simply run my Multi-Batch and it's done in very short time.

craigr

Not sure about your title blocks, but ours have an entry for the CAD file name.  If you have users who like to copy files and/or saveas DWG files, having that attribute linked via field to the file name means they won't have to touch that particular attribute again - it will always be correct.  (well at least after the field has been updated...)
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2009, 05:08:31 PM »
Like you Craig, we don't use our software to the fullest and we have Architectural desktop.  I keep telling myself that I am still cutting and felling trees even though I am using the chainsaw as an axe.    :lol:

But we do use feilds in TB and solely for the drawing number becuase we use multiple layouts in a drawing file.  For the drawing number I insert a field in the Attribute or Text to look at and return Layout tab name. The reason for this is if the drawing number changes due to a change or the addition of a layout tab, I only have to name it once, in the layout tab.  This way I don't have enter it twice or worry about missing something.  Less room for error. 

BTW, we xref our TBs, so client information changes, I only enter it once the drawing reflect the change next time they are open.  Old fashion I know but it works.  :roll:

The other I thing I used automating the documentation process of entering scale value of the view port in condoc.   Too bad you don't use lisp.   http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=13445.0  Thanks a lot Guys for help
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans