Author Topic: scale bar challenge  (Read 15545 times)

drizzt

scale bar challenge
« on: March 21, 2011, 01:37:18 PM »
I don't know if this is already possible with Civil 3D, but, wouldn't it be awsome if we could do the following:

I have a drawing that was created to plot on 24x36 sheet of paper. My titleblock is set up that if I plot, scaled to fit, on 11x17, it will be exactly 1/2 scale (ie 24x36 scale at 1"=200', then the 11x17 plot will be at 1"=400')

Now, is it possible to have a scale bar in the drawing that would know that I am plotting at 1/2 scale and adjust the text on the scale bar accordingly? Can one of the master coders here write a program for it?

Seems sellable to me!

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: scale bar challenge
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 01:41:34 PM »
SEE Annotative function of blocks - although I think you would still need assign a vis state

could be a series of fields might work
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 01:48:53 PM »
looks like..fields using diesel, and or lisp expresions could be assigned to the viewport...to change scale bar text
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 01:52:45 PM »
looks like..fields using diesel, and or lisp expresions could be assigned to the viewport...to change scale bar text
but how would it know the plot scale is half the norm?
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 01:57:56 PM »
perhaps not...sorry was thinking named page setups/tab names or something would help
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

drizzt

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 08:57:57 AM »

That is the problem now isn't it. I am learning that Civil 3D has a lot of power, so I thought I would through it out there and see if it was possible. I think I will give it an attempt once I get that far in my studies.

It seems like a half size plot would be a common occurance in the review process. Although it irritates me, as a half size plot seems like it would be easier to miss something. It seems to me that a plan should be reviewed at it's full size.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 09:14:28 AM »
< .. >

Seems sellable to me!

How much are YOU prepared to pay for it ??
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

drizzt

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 11:31:56 AM »

How much are YOU prepared to pay for it ??
[/quote]

Not sure yet... I am not sure of the time involved in programing it. Another factor that would influence the price is how many other people are willing to pay for it. Off the bat it seems to be pretty simple, if you know what you are doing.

I'm going to say around 10$. But if I didscovered that it is more complicated than it seams, I might go up some.

drizzt

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 11:32:31 AM »
ps. also depends on how I will be licensed to use it on multiple computers.

drizzt

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 11:33:48 AM »
I am not necessarily looking for someone to do it for me. I am more interested if it possible. If I know it is possible, I will figure out how to do it.

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 11:35:38 AM »
I am not necessarily looking for someone to do it for me. I am more interested if it possible. If I know it is possible, I will figure out how to do it.
Do you change to a different page setup when you print to 'half scale'? Could use a reactor.
Dropbox

drizzt

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 11:54:49 AM »
No I don't. I just change the paper size, and change the scale 1:2, or scaled to fit page size, which, because I use extents, and the sizing of my full size titleblock, are the same.

Changing this process is possible, but would require some training with other memebers of my team.

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 12:01:10 PM »
No I don't. I just change the paper size, and change the scale 1:2, or scaled to fit page size, which, because I use extents, and the sizing of my full size titleblock, are the same.

Changing this process is possible, but would require some training with other memebers of my team.
When I introduced the usage of pagesetups where I am now, I noticed a huge decrease in wasted paper (printing out wrong) and the million pc3 files that get created. Plus, it's just quick and easy to change and coincides with easy PUBLISHing.
Dropbox

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 12:10:14 PM »
page setups is the first direction I went with this idea
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

joshua.modglin

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 12:20:02 PM »
Now I know I am throwing a completely different idea out there but what if you just used a graphic bar scale? Whether the bar scale is printed at full or half, it would represent the scale accurately.