Author Topic: Help with Pond Grading  (Read 1450 times)

nlund1972

Help with Pond Grading
« on: March 19, 2008, 03:02:30 PM »
What is the best way to grade a pond?  I have been at this for two days and can't seem to get anywhere.  Everything I have tried has not worked out.  Does anybody have any ideas?

Bob Wahr

Re: Help with Pond Grading
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 03:12:34 PM »
I usually start with the types of plants that they use, lilies, hyacinths, etc., Then look at the fish.  Size and variety, colors, that type of thing.  Check to see if the fish have been provided with some hiding places.  Then I look at the filtration system.  Extra points for a properly functioning bog filter.

Seriously though, what kind of pond are you talking about, detention, retention, decorative?  That's a good place to start.

nlund1972

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 03:36:55 PM »
Something big enough to fish out of.  Actually, I am working on a Regional BMP.  I need to have 0.5 AF in two forebays, 23 AF in the main bay and 5 AF in the micropool.  I intend to have a permanent water elevation in the bottom that is 4' deep on one end and 11' deep on the other.  I would include a pic, but am not sure how to paste it into the post.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 04:40:18 PM »
Use grading features to identify the bottom elevations from the top down. If you are unhappy with the slope projections; and you probably will be, then use the established bottom elevations to then project your grading features from the bottom to the top elevation this should give one radial slope projections.

Or establish, top or bottom basin alignments and profiles and model as a corridor.

Either method then allow one to create a surface that can be pasted into the final FG model, should one use a combination of grading features and a corridor surface to create the FG surface.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

nlund1972

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 04:42:15 PM »
I'll give it a try.  Thank you.