Author Topic: enterprise cui  (Read 3704 times)

ELOQUINTET

enterprise cui
« on: March 31, 2006, 02:28:13 PM »
i was just lloking into the enterprise cui and am wondering if anyone here has explored it. i want to take some of our custom toolbars and protect them from being edited except for by myself and our cad manager. ok so i take these tools out of the main cui and create a new one then i set this as the enterprise cui. now noone can go into it and edit it. what i have to do to edit it is go into options and undefine it as the enterprise. but then anyone can do that and open it up and edit it. i also dont really understand the ability to open up the enterprise in transfer tab and copy toolbars from it into the main. then you have duplicate toolbars. i am just trying to figure out what the intention is for this and if it is what i am wanting to use it for???

Crank

• Water Moccasin
Re: enterprise cui
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 05:18:39 PM »
i was just lloking into the enterprise cui and am wondering if anyone here has explored it. i want to take some of our custom toolbars and protect them from being edited except for by myself and our cad manager.
First save the workspace with the enterprise menu. Call this workspace what you want.

Then go to options, make the enterprise search path empty, and make the menu that you've stored in the enterprise location your main menu. Now save the workspace again with the name enterprise.

When you switch between those workspaces the enterprise menu is protected or it can be edited.

Your cad manager needs to do the same thing, or you can give him a copy of your profile.
I also dont really understand the ability to open up the enterprise in transfer tab and copy toolbars from it into the main. then you have duplicate toolbars.
Yes, you get a copy, but if when you've done things right, your CUSTOM.cui is your main menu and the enterprise menu is partial. The main menu can be edited by the users, so they can change these toolbars again. But the enterprise menu stays protected (even if everybody has write permissions in that folder!)
Vault Professional 2023     +     AEC Collection

Crank

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 05:31:12 PM »
Workspaces are stored in your main menu, so the other users will not see your enterprise workspace when it's local. (CUSTOM.CUI)

With workspaces you can protect the enterprise environment from yourself. :)

It's also possible to edit the enterprise.cui with a special profile, but switching workspaces is a lot faster.
Vault Professional 2023     +     AEC Collection

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 05:39:51 PM »
ok i'll have to play with it some this weekend at home where things are simplified  :ugly: thanks crank

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 09:51:16 AM »
crank i was trying to set my custom.cui as the main and acad.cui as the ent. and creating a workspace called username. then i made the acad.cui the main and nothing for the ent. and create a workspace called admin. when i switch back to the username profile the settings do not change in options so the acad.cui is the main and no ent. is defined. what am i doing wrong? does it have something to do with localization. even if it did work this way what would prevent the user from creating thier own admin workspace and editing the ent? am i missing something here?

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 03:34:52 PM »
hmmm i seem to be talking to myself here (again)  :| since i couldn't control customization file options through workspaces i had to create another profile to make my enterprise editable or not. i'm only having one problem now. i cannot get my toolbars that i want on top to stay put. they keep getting added to the end and are running offscreen everytime i restart. anythoughts as to why this might be happening and how to solve it?

Yoland

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 04:05:20 PM »
Hi,

Sorry my english is bad. I know that not is the same but in this page web explain how customize the toolbars in 2006. Maybe it serve of utility.

http://www.ellenfinkelstein.com/AutoCAD_tips_create_custom_toolbar_cui.html

Bye
yolanda

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 05:38:39 PM »
i got that part of it down but am looking to protect our custom toolbars using the enterprise cui but thanks for posting anyhow it's so lonely in here (crickets)

Birdy

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 06:55:20 PM »
Here's what I did. (no problems so far, but it's still early :)  )

company.cui    < made from a copy of the default custom.cui, renamed.  This is our ENTERPRISE cui file.
  --acad.cui        <partial load in company.cui
  --acetmain.cui  <partial load in company.cui
These are on the network. I alone have write access.

local.cui       < made from a copy of the default custom.cui, renamed
Located in the local search path.  Each user can tweak to their hearts content.

This way, as I understand it, the OOTB acad & acet cui's can't get mussed up, AND I can add company wide menus, etc. as I see fit that are read only to the general user.

I have 2 profiles on my machine:
LOCAL (for my customizations)
EDITCUI (so I can tweak the "company" standards.)

I'll hafta look at Cranks workspace solution though. It seems easier.

We've been on '06 for about 1 1/2 months, so.... still a rookie at understanding all this.

<edit>
each user is pathed to the network for their enterprise file,(company.cui) and locally for their main. (me included)
'cept in my EDITCUI profile I'm pathed:
enterprise: none
main: to the networked  "company.cui" file

I think I muddied this up.  :|  I gotta preview these posts closer, sorry.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 07:12:50 PM by Birdy »

glee

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 07:26:38 PM »
i got that part of it down but am looking to protect our custom toolbars using the enterprise cui but thanks for posting anyhow it's so lonely in here (crickets)
Probably because many of us haven't upgraded yet. 
Watching what you are doing with interest though.  So when I get 2007 in a couple of months, hopefully I will have learned something from your predicament. 
I wonder if anyone can elaborate on why autodesk took this approach to the menus.  Right now all my custom menus sit on my server.  Nobody messes with them period.  They can do whatever the heck they want with the regular acad menus on their machines. 
So why does your description make it sound so complicated with the use of these enterprise and custom cui?  Obviously it sounds complicated since I haven't touched anything above 2004. 

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 08:03:22 PM »
we don't have a server yet we only have a workgroup (don't ask) and i want to put the enterprise on my boss's machine which is acting like our server for now. i created 2 profiles 1 a user and the other admin and pretty much did what birdie described. it is working well except for the workspaces now. i have a workspace while in admin profile which just shows our custom toolbars so i can edit them easily. then i have a workspace in user profile which shows everything. like i said i just cant seem to get 2 of the toolbars to stay where i want them to and can't figure out why the workspace is not saving them properly. when in admin mode i go in and am playing with the locations in properties but they are not moving where i specify. i'm wondering what the difference is between saving the workspace through the dialogue box is versus from the window pulldown? i told my boss that there is no way to prevent others from being able to change thier settings and open and edit the enterprise other than granting access only to us. i'd really like to be able to protect the files without involving IT. i would like to apply cranks method if it allows me to do this but could not figure it out.

glee

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 11:33:12 AM »
I think when I use to hang out at the augi forum, they brought this up.
Maybe take a look there and see if they have a solution that works? 
Sorry I'm no help.  I don't have 2006, so no way to see how it messes up my custom toolbars and menus. 

Birdy

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 05:05:03 PM »
There is a service pack for '06, and a hotfix specifically for the cui.  I've been advised not to even attempt messing with the cui till you've applied the fix.

(I'm sure you already have done this, just thought I'd throw it out...) :)

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 10:00:15 PM »
yes have sp1 and cui update installed still can't get them toolbars to stay put urrrrgh. i've read many posts and no solution has worked yet. i need to solve this before i configure more workstations to read from the enterprise.

Bryco

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 10:19:42 PM »
Eloquintet, I don't know if this has anything to do with it but the Element ID is supposed to be unique, and it doesn't always create a new id, so you can have two items with the same id and never know why things are going strange.

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2006, 11:24:18 AM »
i was messing with this again and couldn't get it to work but i do see this at the command line, yikes  :-o

Command: ; error: Exception occurred: 0xC0000005 (Access Violation)
; warning: unwind skipped on exception
; error: Exception occurred: 0xC0000005 (Access Violation)
Entering (_INTERNAL-LOAD-ALL-FILE "C:\\documents and
settings\\temp\\application data\\autodesk\\autocad
2006\\r16.2\\enu\\support\\acad.mnl" nil T nil)

AutoCAD menu utilities ; error: Exception occurred: 0xC0000005 (Access
Violation)
Entering (_INTERNAL-LOAD-ALL-FILE "Z:\\ACAD\\mecho.mnl" nil T nil)

AutoCAD menu utilities ; error: Exception occurred: 0xC0000005 (Access
Violation)
Entering (_INTERNAL-LOAD-ALL-FILE "C:\\DOCUMENTS AND
SETTINGS\\TEMP\\APPLICATION DATA\\AUTODESK\\AUTOCAD
2006\\R16.2\\ENU\\SUPPORT\\acetmain.mnl" nil T nil)

sinc

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2006, 04:15:50 AM »
Yep, 2006 is a horrible mess of bugs.  In my opinion, a fully-patched copy of 2006 is still barely worthy of beta-test status.  I'm appalled that ANYONE would consider this product ready for release.  I'm hoping that we are not beginning to see the impact of Autodesk's "one release per year" policy...   :realmad:

I've found it's generally possible to get things working, but it frequently takes lots of trial and error to find the only safe path through the bugs.

There's lots of issues between the Enterprise CUI and Partial CUIs.  I find that I can only get workspaces working if I make sure all the Partial CUIs in the Enterprise CUI are ALSO loaded in the custom (main) CUI.  So, if your company-wide Enterprise CUI is loading the acad.cui and acetmain.cui as Partials, make sure that the custom (main) CUI for all users also load those same CUIs as Partial CUIs.

Then there's the issue that menus will only work properly in one CUI.  So, if you want your end users to be able to customize their own shortcut menus, you must put ALL shortcut menus in the Custom.CUI for each user.  You must remove ALL shortcut menus from your Enterprise CUI.  The other option is to have ALL shortcut menus in the Enterprise CUI, in which case the end users cannot change them.

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2006, 10:08:19 AM »
 i seem to have it working now as far as i can tell. my workspaces are working now at least. i pretty much followed sincs advice. i will give a complete breakdown once i have analyzed it a little more and determined it's working as i want. thanks everyone for your help i'll keep you posted.

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2006, 01:22:19 PM »
hmmm i had moved all of the shortcut menus from our enterprise to custom.cui. i was working then noticed that my osnap shortcut menu isnt working. i have others which do but haven't checked them all. i know this was a bug that was supposed to be fixed by either the cui update or the service pack but it still seems to be present. when i move all of the shortcut menus to my enterprise none of them are working. bzzzzzzzzz  :pissed: i hate bugs