Author Topic: Drawing searcher tutorial?  (Read 4780 times)

ELOQUINTET

Drawing searcher tutorial?
« on: October 20, 2004, 11:51:24 AM »
Mdub i was wondering if you have written a drawing searcher tutorial yet and if so if i could get a copy of it? I was going to put one together but figured i'd ask you first so i didn't have to start from scratch. I originally came to ask a question. When you log into the server for the first time using your ip how is that done again? is it http://localhost   ?

M-dub

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 11:55:43 AM »
I haven't really created a tutorial per se...yet.  Do you mean How to set it up or How to use it once it's set up?

You have to figure out what the IP address of the machine DrawingSearcher is running on.

DOS Prompt - IPCONFIG

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 12:05:32 PM »
yeah mostly a how to use it. i think it would probably be wisest for me to install it and configure it myself. i thought they said install it then open your browser and type that in and that would tell you your ip for that computer. then you bookmark that page. well i can do ipconfig too. i'm just going to do a little sumpin and make reference to it in my cad standards doc. by the way haven't seen any comments from you over in my post in cad standards check it out. thanks man

M-dub

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 12:33:00 PM »
I've been super busy this week.  We've been waiting for months for this guy to come to our site for a meeting to begin a certain project and now that we've done that, it's like the dam broke and all the work has flooded its way to me!  Everyone else found higher ground! :(   ;)

I'll go print some of it off and read it during lunch...

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 01:09:48 PM »
cool things are quite the opposite here which is why i'm puttinh it together now. thanks

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 08:19:14 AM »
mdub i have another question about drawing searcher. when i used to do a search it would show me all the layouts if i put the mouse of the arrow above the drawing but now it only shows that one, what happened? on the same subject , do you have a rule at your office for closing drawings in modelspace/paperspace?

M-dub

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 08:33:36 AM »
Well, I could probably count the number of drawings utilizing paper space on two hands...if that.  We just don't use it yet.  Although, we'll be setting it up for a group of drawings pretty soon.
I'm not sure why you'd lose the layout tabs with the mouse hover.  Are the drawings being saved in the same version of acad?

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 08:39:59 AM »
you don't use paperspace yikes that's a whole nuther matter. not sure why it lost the ability but it has. i'm thinking paperspace would be good to save them in only because it makes them easier to view without having to open them in the viewer. that's if i could get the tabs to work again that is?

M-dub

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 08:41:53 AM »
Have you tried to save a drawing you KNOW is set up correctly, then go into DS and try a Re-Index?

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2004, 08:44:56 AM »
I'LL PLAY AROUND WITH IT TODAY SEE IF I CAN FIGURE IT OUT ....damn capslocks

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2004, 04:04:07 PM »
mdub i can't remember is there a way to not have the drawing searcher console put onto the desktop when you install drawing searcher. Trying to explain how to configure it to some here would be rather difficult. besides i will be doing the indexing and would rather others not have the ability to change the configuration? you only need this to index don't you?

M-dub

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2004, 07:53:46 AM »
Dan,
Did you only need to install DrawingSearcher on ONE machine.  The machine you intend to use as the server.  Everyone else then uses that machine's IP Address to access it using a browser.  I created a shortcut to it on the main server (not the same machine as the DS Server) for easy access.
What exactly do you mean by "is there a way to not have the drawing searcher console put onto the desktop when you install drawing searcher."?

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2004, 08:07:58 AM »
o i see so i would just create a link containing what's in my address bar then they could click on that and once they get to the site couls bookmark the page. i thought every machine had to install it wow that's great.

M-dub

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2004, 08:16:20 AM »
Yeah!  LOL!  You're creating too much work for yourself, man!
Install it once, set it up the way you want it...( I strongly suggest utilizing the categories) and then create a link to the server for everyone.

Let me know if you need a hand setting up the categories.

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2004, 08:33:29 AM »
hey yeah i just had 2 coworkers try it excellent. what do you mean by categories?

M-dub

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2004, 08:48:49 AM »
Categories!
It's kinda like "Look in 'this' folder Only" sorta thing.  It narrows the search down.

In the Console, look on the Folders to Index tab and tell me what you've got in there.  Is it just one folder or ALL of your folders?
Imagine this scenario:
5000 Drawings are located in different directories under C:\Drawings.  You could index the entire C:\Drawings directory but if you searched for a common word, you'd end up with more results than you want.  If you knew that the drawing you're searching for should (or should NOT) be located in a certain directory, you could select that category and search only in there.
C:\Drawings\Dir1
C:\Drawings\Dir2
C:\Drawings\Dir3
C:\Drawings\Dir4
C:\Drawings\Dir5
~~~etc.~~~
Create a category for each subdirectory.  You can then decide to search through ALL categories or select just one at a time.

More confused or Less Confused?

PS - How many times have you returned 100 search results?  That limit is in the address bar.  If you want to increase the number of search results, change
http://10.100.16.28/?frm=simple&nres=100&q=test&cat=&fmt=Preview

to
http://10.100.16.28/?frm=simple&nres=1000&q=test&cat=&fmt=Preview

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2004, 03:11:19 PM »
yeah i was thinking of how i might be able to do something like that mdub not for the reason you posted but because i want the drawing found to be the latest revision. what i would really like is to be able to exclude a subfolder name such as archive or similar which would have all the superceded drawings. is this possible? also i have encountered the 100 drawings thing but i don't really see the need to increase it to more that would seem counter productive to me looking through over a 100. anyway thanks for the info