Author Topic: Changing Part Descriptions based on excel  (Read 2870 times)

nothin

Changing Part Descriptions based on excel
« on: April 05, 2012, 03:31:48 PM »
I have a set of part descriptions that need to be changed. Each part description corresponds to a part number. See the example below of what it would look like in AutoCAD.

123   screw

265   bolt

847   washer

But this list can get really long. Each part number and each description is a seperate text string or mtext string.
I plan on having an excel spreadsheet that has a list of all part numbers that my company uses with their corresponding descriptions.
I would like to use the part number to find the appropriate description and then change the description.
Hopefully this can be done automatically for a list of part numbers and their descriptions.

Is there a way to do this?

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
Re: Changing Part Descriptions based on excel
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 03:37:01 PM »
Hey!! First post!!  Congrats and welcome to the Swamp!!

I'm sure Lee or someone else with more LSPy knowledge than myself will be along soon.  :)
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 05:10:52 PM »
There are many ways to get things done, but first a question: roughly how many entries are we dealing with here?  If there are "many" (a somewhat arbitrary number) it may be preferably to work from a database rather than an Excel workbook.  It requires a little more work to set up, and not much more to access, but pays dividends when searching through truly large amounts of information.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

nothin

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 05:14:43 PM »
The BOM on the AutoCAD drawing can have up to 500 parts.

The database of parts that my company uses has thousands of parts.

irneb

• Water Moccasin
  • ACad R9-2016, Revit Arch 6-2016
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 08:55:53 AM »
In such case (i.e. 1000's of source items, from which up to 500 must be extracted) I'd go with dgorsman's idea. BTW, what you're describing sounds a lot like KeyNoting in my industry. Do you stick with the same code number in the BOM? I.e. if code 543 is to be placed in the BOM, does it stay 543 or does it get renumbered per drawing to the next increment as selected?

Now, to try and figure out what dbms to use. Some are free, some are fast in some cases, nearly all would be faster and more robust than Excel. Let's take the simplest and cheapest one out there: dBase files. These are simply dBf files with some indexing to speed up searches. A more expensive (and also more comprehensive) one would be to use M$ Access MDB databases - but I'd only recommend those if you also want several tables of different types of data interrelating with each other and also want to create saved queries, input forms and output reports. Even then MDB isn't very good if you have more than one person working on the data at any one time. A similar, yet cheaper thing could be to use ODB file (i.e. Open Office Base) - they work a lot similar to MDB, but in my experience Forms & Reports is rather poorly implemented compared to M$ Access. If you need something where 100's of people can add to / modify / extract from such database, you'll have to look into a Client-Server idea (MS SQL / MySQL / PostGre / FireBird / InterBase / etc.) - some are free, some EXTREMELY expensive. Usually you could work on these Client-Server databases through Access or Open Office Base - though you don't need to (it would only be a user interface for such backbone database). Also Excel can export to some of these, and even with some fiddling you could export through an ODBC driver to any of the others. So even if your data is in Excel now - it's not a train smash to convert. You can even revert backwards from the database into Excel, or even create a live link in excel which would show all updates automatically - though with the number you've quoted I'd steer clear of that idea.

There's a quick way of linking to/from lisp to these using a library called ADOLisp. As long as the database has an ADO or ODBC driver it would be trivial to link to such data store. Most windows installations come standard with at least DBF/MDB ODBC drivers - even if you don't have such program installed. So going that route might be the most broadly based alternative - i.e. you need not install extra programs to use your data.

The point is, the lisp involved would need to be designed to work on whatever you choose. If you stick with Excel it would be totally different from using ADOLisp. Depending on which DB you choose there would even be slight differences while using ADOLisp.
Common sense - the curse in disguise. Because if you have it, you have to live with those that don't.