Author Topic: Block all layouts  (Read 1976 times)

DanB

• Bull Frog
Block all layouts
« on: March 11, 2011, 05:01:04 PM »
Late afternoon - planning ahead for Monday morning disaster...

Running Civil 3d 2009 - have a client revised drawing, revised using their Carlson software. I can no longer cut-n-paste or block in certain entities without warnings/buzzers and errors. I have WBLOCKED model space into a "clean" drawing. Now I need to get all the layouts 25 or so into the "clean" drawing. Design center is no go - errors/warnings go off. I think if I can WBLOCK each paper space/layout into the "clean" drawing, I will be back in business. Any thoughts ideas on a "fast" way of accomplishing this? Okay with lisp routine or other ideas..

Thanks in advance, will check back Monday morning...it's past beer-thirty...

BuckoAk

• Newt
Re: Block all layouts
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 02:03:17 AM »
I had similar scenario awhile back, I fixed my issue by doing an "Export To" only after extracting my civil entities first.
This reverted my drawing back to basic Autocad Entities, I then re-imported my civil entities back in which allowed me to continue my work on the drawing.
This idea is just a shot in the dark but hopefully it will work for you to, and if you do try this do this procedure on a copy of the original.

Good luck.

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 08:48:36 AM »
I had similar scenario awhile back, I fixed my issue by doing an "Export To" only after extracting my civil entities first.
This reverted my drawing back to basic Autocad Entities, I then re-imported my civil entities back in which allowed me to continue my work on the drawing.
This idea is just a shot in the dark but hopefully it will work for you to, and if you do try this do this procedure on a copy of the original.

Good luck.

To take it a step further, exporting to an early version and going to dxf will clean out even more of the error creating stuff.
CAD Tech

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 01:19:41 PM »
did they modify the model or the layouts?

If only the model attach as XREF to your C3D file...and edit yours to match.

If they modified your layouts; I would wonder why?  Then try PSETUPIN, and import the layouts.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

DanB

• Bull Frog
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 08:19:48 AM »
I first attempted the export command, tried several different formats.

No success...
  Command: _AecExportToAutoCAD2004
  Command not allowed because drawing contains objects from a newer version of
  this application.

Not sure what objects are in the drawing that are prompting this. They used Carlson (not sure of version), not a newer Civil 3d. I tried quickselect to see what type of entities are in the drawing, nothing unusual stands out.

I also saved as older DXF file versions and still recieve a notice when opening drawing, see attached image.

I'll keep looking, thanks for the replies.

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 08:25:18 AM »
This sounds like a case for Drawing True View from AutoDesk. It has a conversion tool in it. I've used regularly throughout the years.
CAD Tech

DanB

• Bull Frog
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 09:52:22 AM »
TrueView 2011 can't seem to rid the warnings.

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 09:55:39 AM »
Sorry about that. It could be a civil thing. Maybe get the 30 day trial of the latest version of Civil 3D. Aside from that, I've got nothing for you.
CAD Tech

DanB

• Bull Frog
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 09:57:35 AM »
Just to follow up, I took the old fashioned way. I ended up using copy with base point from old to clean, on all of the layouts. Really didn't take too long. Odd there were no errors copying from the old drawing, but couldn't paste into the old drawing. Either way, the "clean" drawing is working well, no bells and whistles going off when opening or doing any commands...so far.