Author Topic: clipping planes and solids not showing ACAD 2010  (Read 12717 times)

mammajamma

clipping planes and solids not showing ACAD 2010
« on: May 12, 2011, 04:41:12 PM »
I'm relaying this 2nd hand, so forgive me if it's a bit fuzzy.
Problem seems to be this:
Users create clipping planes above and below the area through which they would like to create a section cut, with 3d-solids that protrude through both planes. If one end or the other of a solid isn't contained between the planes, it doesn't show at all. In other words, if only the middle portion of a cylinder is between the planes, it's like its not there at all.
They are using 3-d wireframe visual style.
Is there a setting, or a better method that they are missing?
Thanks

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: clipping planes and solids not showing ACAD 2010
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 04:42:54 PM »
I'll try that mode...I think they will find a shade mode to work best.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

JCTER

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 04:50:10 PM »
I'm relaying this 2nd hand, so forgive me if it's a bit fuzzy.
Problem seems to be this:
Users create clipping planes above and below the area through which they would like to create a section cut, with 3d-solids that protrude through both planes. If one end or the other of a solid isn't contained between the planes, it doesn't show at all. In other words, if only the middle portion of a cylinder is between the planes, it's like its not there at all.
They are using 3-d wireframe visual style.
Is there a setting, or a better method that they are missing?
Thanks

No, that's how things will happen and you really can't avoid it.  It's because the 'perimeter' of the cylinder is only defined by the ends of the cylinder, which are concealed.  You'll notice if you check, that you will see 4 dots which represent the quandrant lines that go along the cylinder at the quandrants of the circles defining the cylinders end faces.

That's really how it is with all extrusion type solids too, not just cylinders. 

Sucks, but you just kinda gotta "know" they're there until  you plot, and you can check the plot-preview to double check before you plot.  I have to do a plot-preview semi-often to check how things line up and look before finishing the sheet.  

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 04:50:53 PM »
one will find that the isolines setting can have some impact on perception here..
it could be that the cylinder, cube whatever is showing...only the perspective is such that the iso lines are very short...and only look like they are missing...

otherwise it could be that they have set the video card adaptive degradation settings unfavorably
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 04:55:59 PM »
confirmed that SHADE is a command each of you will want to look into...in regards clipping planes and object display
it should even save you a lot of plot preview time as well, James.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mammajamma

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 05:03:22 PM »
Thanks,
I'll pass on the info and see what happens.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 05:07:55 PM »
Thanks,
I'll pass on the info and see what happens.

for sure, and have them get their own SWAMP account...you're much too busy to run these things down for them
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

JCTER

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 05:19:01 PM »
The only trouble with using anything other than wireframe visual styles in a viewport is you start to get bogged down, performance-wise, and navigation/regen time can start getting really laggy.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 05:23:07 PM »
The only trouble with using anything other than wireframe visual styles in a viewport is you start to get bogged down, performance-wise, and navigation/regen time can start getting really laggy.
yes, I could see that on some equipment and complex models (again check your degradation settings)
 Using it in this limited way you would still gain time as an alternate to running a plot preview.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

JCTER

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 05:34:19 PM »
yes, I could see that on some equipment and complex models (again check your degradation settings)
 Using it in this limited way you would still gain time as an alternate to running a plot preview.
No, no I wouldn't.  Thanks anyways.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 05:50:53 PM »
No, no I wouldn't.  Thanks anyways.
only because you wont try it...

cool by me

someone else might
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

JCTER

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 05:58:36 PM »
I know because I have tried it.  It is faster to leave the viewport off and just know what I'm looking at, and do one final check before printing.

I was just throwing up a warning about visual styles.  Let's not turn this into a big thing (like usual)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 06:06:38 PM »
I know because I have tried it.  It is faster to leave the viewport off and just know what I'm looking at, and do one final check before printing.

I was just throwing up a warning about visual styles.  Let's not turn this into a big thing (like usual)
I question your motives, or perhaps you might care to delete that particular post...and I'll prune this one out too...

I just know that on all the hardware I've tested this on Shading a view is always faster than a plot preview.

Others might save some time with this method.  And from my experience getting things right before you have to replot because something wasn't is always faster. 
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

barc

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 06:47:32 PM »
I built a toggle for shademode between a "conceptual" viewstyle and "2D wireframe".  When I "really need to see something, toggle in on, check, then back off, and I'm on my way.

JCTER

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 08:49:10 AM »
I built a toggle for shademode between a "conceptual" viewstyle and "2D wireframe".  When I "really need to see something, toggle in on, check, then back off, and I'm on my way.
That's not a bad idea.  I use 'plot preview' because it's not often I need to see things how they really are (I am usually in model space when I do that) and when I need to check things in paperspace, I usually also want to know how it will print (ie, with color table effects) and there's a lot more information I need/want to see that is taken care of during the plot preview, incidental to just seeing if I got the objects shown/clipped right in the viewport.  I found too many cases where I'd toss up a shaded Visual style and still want to do a quick Ctrl+P;Alt+P to see the preview.

barc

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 01:03:58 PM »
I built a toggle for shademode between a "conceptual" viewstyle and "2D wireframe". When I "really need to see something, toggle in on, check, then back off, and I'm on my way.
That's not a bad idea.  I use 'plot preview' because it's not often I need to see things how they really are (I am usually in model space when I do that) and when I need to check things in paperspace, I usually also want to know how it will print (ie, with color table effects) and there's a lot more information I need/want to see that is taken care of during the plot preview, incidental to just seeing if I got the objects shown/clipped right in the viewport.  I found too many cases where I'd toss up a shaded Visual style and still want to do a quick Ctrl+P;Alt+P to see the preview.
Usually the toggle works for most things, however there are times when I really want to make sure what will print and I'll use the print preview, but I usually reserve the plot preview to just prior to plotting.  The toggle reduces the time I need the preview during the drawing development.