Author Topic: Object Snap keyboard overide  (Read 5865 times)

cparnell

Re: Object Snap keyboard overide
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2005, 05:18:19 PM »
We have a USB Keypad here at work.
I have an article by Lee Ambrosius named, "Customizing the User Interface Through the CUI Editor". I tried the, Creating Nonstandard Shortcut Keys on Page 18 but have been unable to get the keypad to work for OSanps. When I try to load the MNS file per the article, I get this MNU/MNS Conversion failed warning box. Since you have been able to get your XKeys to work, do you have any idea what I might be doing wrong?
I attached a .DOC file of a screen capture of the failed warning box and my ShortcutKeys.mns, ( I had to save my mns file to txt file to post) file as well as a PDF of Lee's article.

The keypad does work as far as being able to type in numbers.

Any help would be greatly appreiciated.
Thanks.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2005, 05:31:35 PM »
Hate to be a stick in the mud, but I must ask, has Lee given persmission to distribute that pdf?
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2005, 05:35:12 PM »
i have the nostromo which i use more now for excel than autocad as i'm more in the habit of typing. i've tried it for acad but it just doesn't catch on. i would like to use it but can never memorize the keypad for all 4 modes. found it easier in the end to type m return :lmao:

MikePerry

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2005, 05:39:06 PM »
Hate to be a stick in the mud, but I must ask, has Lee given persmission to distribute that pdf?
Hi

Might also want to check with Autodesk...

White Papers - Customization and Migration

Have a good one, Mike

cparnell

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2005, 05:39:21 PM »
Not to me. I took it that since I received it from an AutoDESK subscription support request that it was open to any one. Is that not correct? The ariticle has the AutoDESK logo on it, so I as well took it that it was AutoDESK property. I tried to ask the previous question on Lee's HyperPics forum but it is apparently down for upgrading.
My appoligies to Lee it I should not have posted it.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2005, 05:47:40 PM »
Hi Charles, generally speaking, imo it's best to err on the side of conservatism in these matters.

Rather than posting a copy of an article try to post a link to the orginal source. Failing that, make a genuine effort to contact the author of the article to ask permission. This was demonstrated just recently by Chuck if you search around.

The bottom line is checking for permission first is the right thing to do AND we don't wish to bring any troubles to the swamp (or Mr. Thomas).

Peace (just trying to be a good neighbor).

:)
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Bob Wahr

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2005, 06:02:17 PM »
Speaking of bottom lines, looking at the bottom line of the article, It's Autodesk, not the author who holds the copyright to that whitepaper.  Whether or not AD would like it posted, I can't answer but it seems like it's their call.

Sdoman

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2005, 08:11:35 AM »
<clip> Since you have been able to get your XKeys to work, do you have any idea what I might be doing wrong? </clip>

I need to clarify something:

The Xkeys pad doesn't need to be programmed via the AutoCAD menu because it is a record and playback keystrokes device.  If you can type something into your standard keyboard, like an osnap, then you can record it to the Xkeys pad and play it back by hitting one button.  When you make a recording, it is stored in a memory chip inside the keypad.

There isn't a need for a device driver or some other software residing on the computer to run the pad.  The Xkeys and the standard keyboard devices are connected together via a 'Y' connector provided by the mfg.  So the computer receives input from both devices on the same cable.

Hence, the keypad does not respond to or read the AutoCAD menu (or any menu).  It only respond to the push of a button.  It is only a keystroke storage device, which can't distinguish which application is running any better then the standard keyboard..

So to get back to your request, I can't help you with your menu issue since I don't use the menu in that way and don't know how to solve your problem.  Last time I customize my AutoCAD menu for osnaps on the function keys was back in the DOS days and we had to use the DOS prompt command to pipe ANSI characters to something or ruther, I forget.