Author Topic: AutoCAD General : Lights are layer-exempt?  (Read 5621 times)

JCTER

AutoCAD General : Lights are layer-exempt?
« on: October 27, 2010, 11:45:19 AM »
I don't use lights in scenes very often at all, I typically just use the Sun with Sky Illumination and leave it at that.

However, I slapped some lights in, and when I went to assign them to a layer, so I could freeze them at will, I realized they have -no- property entry for layer.

Has this -always- been the case?

Am I going crazy?  Are light objects simply 'there' and not applicable to normal drawing organization/manipulation methods?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: AutoCAD General : Lights are layer-exempt?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 11:48:05 AM »
YES

Another thing to consider regarding lights in drawings:

Each light you add to the drawing is listed by name and type in the Lights in Model palette (LIGHTLIST). Lights in blocks and xrefs, the sun, and default lighting are not included

notice in the attached there are NO layer properties?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 11:53:32 AM by Anti Quark »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

JCTER

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 11:54:10 AM »
If you're right... that sucks.  I'd really like to be able to manage multiple lighting methods without having to select individual lights and turning them off.  Some lights don't work well in blocks, either.  I imagine that goes for lights in xrefs too, but haven't tried.  I can think of a few workarounds, but it doesn't really seem worth it.

Seems a rather short sighted implementation, unless I'm just unaware of underlying complications with lighting objects that blocks this feature.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 11:58:44 AM »
I've found that blocking ALL lights in and out of a file is a fairly easy way to manage multiple lighting schemes within a single file.

Each light you add to the drawing is listed by name and type in the Lights in Model palette (LIGHTLIST). Lights in blocks and xrefs, the sun, and default lighting are not included
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 12:53:24 PM »
IN a real building, group of lights would be tied to a switch.  Am I understanding correctly that there is no switching in Autocad 3d.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 12:55:43 PM »
IN a real building, group of lights would be tied to a switch.  Am I understanding correctly that there is no switching in Autocad 3d.
each light can be ON or OFF
however their is no practical way to group the lights by ROOM or AREA.

WOW

I had NOT tried GROUPING  my lights before...DUH....that works really well...a group per room...or per SWITCH..and the group can be on-ed or off-ed all at once!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 12:59:22 PM by Anti Quark »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell