Author Topic: For those in Civil/Survey a Question/Survey In Layouts How many Dimscales ?  (Read 2599 times)

sourdough

• Bull Frog
After being in the field for many years, and working from NC AK and now WA I would like to know what other techs are
doing when you have a dwgs that requires different dimscale/viewport scales.

I found in WA that I start with a cover sheet and most other layouts at one scale. Then have to submit to a Water/Sewer agency
with another scale requirement. So, questions are:

1. Do you create a separate dwgs for each dim/viewport scale that are equal?

2. Do you create multiple layers for each textstyle to match multiple viewport scales, and add layouts with viewports that match those
    multiple viewport scales?

3. Share you setups for these possiblities or add your own.

4. Complain to your boss that you just can't take it anymore!

5. The most curious question of all, does anyone use the sheet manager?
In 2006 they added the ability to recall tablyout layerstates when using the sheet set printing.

Curosity is the making of this post.

My preference is when I do dimscale/viewport scales be equal and create a separate dwg for each new dimscale.
LDC 2009/C3D 2010/C3D 2011/C3D 2016

Win 10 64bit

Dinosaur

Re: For those in Civil/Survey a Question/Survey In Layouts How many Dimscales ?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 04:30:27 PM »
1. Do you create a separate dwgs for each dim/viewport scale that are equal?
No, I have a variety of scales ranging from 20 to 200 in the same drawing and keep my psltscale and ltscale set to 1 for each viewport.  I am trying to enforce that any dimensions (very few in our drawings) and most text be in paperspace only so only one dimstyle is needed.  The exception is for plats where the annotation must be done in modelspace.

2. Do you create multiple layers for each textstyle to match multiple viewport scales, and add layouts with viewports that match those
    multiple viewport scales?

Yes, at least until Civil 3D becomes more mature.

3. Share you setups for these possiblities or add your own.

We do not fuss with layer states or filters at all.  We never globally freeze a layer that is visible in any viewport  and on-off is used only to temporarily isolate a layer.  We never work in modelspace, instead we use a modelspace viewport dedicated soley to editing of the drawing and name our layers so they are grouped together as much as possible.  We then use freeze/thaw in current viewport to display what layers are needed without affecting their visibility in the rest of the drawing.  Any new layers created are reported to the supervisor who makes sure it is properly addressed in each viewport.

4. Complain to your boss that you just can't take it anymore!

Tried, it didn't work

5. The most curious question of all, does anyone use the sheet manager?
In 2006 they added the ability to recall tablyout layerstates when using the sheet set printing.

No, We have not found an acceptable way to get Sheet Manager to work with our standard sheets for profiles.  We get more predictable results with little more effort by building our sheets manually.  We have not deployed 2006 and will probably wait to see what gets fixed for 2007 at this point.
Sheet Set Manager (at least in 2005) was of no real use for us either.  It worked OK, but we have several detail sheets that are common to each project and it proved impractical to include these in the sets.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Just a couple of thoughts;

If you were using MAP and Classifying your features (not dumb lines and arcs)
Then you could use MAP to perform a query against the base data a create the
labels at the correct size for that scale drawing using the feature classification properties.
Then you could use sheet set manager, and import your saved views at these different
scales into the sheet set that needs to display them.
This later flows over into retrieving quantities of materials estimates from your data.

Back when I needed to dimension different scaled views of the same data, my preference
would be to do that in paperspace with a style that had the correct scale factor applied.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/