Author Topic: TECHNOLOGY ROCKS  (Read 2888 times)

Dent Cermak

TECHNOLOGY ROCKS
« on: June 21, 2007, 09:19:26 AM »
The things I have seen in my life!! The changes are awesome!!
This data collector tablet we are working with just keeps growing in capabilities. We just figured out how to link the sucker to our server via a vpn connection so the field crews can "drag & drop" data to/from the server from the field. No more long drives from the site back to the office to dump data. Go to MickeyD's - or anyother place with WIFI and do your thing. OR, if the air card signal is stout enough they can do it over the cell phone card.  :-o
This saves a ton of money on fuel costs and I don't have muddy booted gorillas trekking across the carpet any more!  ^-^
It will be interesting to see if there are any real limits to what we will be able to do. RTK, Field to finish in the field, electronic note pads and journals,GPS and OPUS solutions in the field....................CARP!! They may figure they don't need us office types any more!!

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Re: TECHNOLOGY ROCKS
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 09:30:37 AM »
Dent, just wait until they figure out that the field jockeys can collect data points using GPS and using that data output a perfectly good DXF file containing all of the plotted lines and details ... oh the humanity of it all .. no more need for cad jockeys.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

sinc

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 10:17:13 AM »
What data collectors are you using now?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 10:44:47 AM »
This is where one must get a good grip on the Technology Genie™ and maximize the gifts. Properly harnessed the Technology Genie™ will give you vast amounts of time and money.  At this point the Technology Genie™ allows the field crew to become the guy formerly known as The Survey Cad Technician. This in turn allows all other users of the product to produce billable results. The Technology Genie™, is fed best by expanding the knowledge and skillset of all that touch it. 
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Dent Cermak

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 09:48:00 AM »
Keith, no dxf files here. We get full blown dwg files from the field. All line work and blocks already completed. Full coordinate txt files too. They have the same software package in the field that I have on my desk. We have the tablets set up with the same *.dwt templates and prototype files. The set-up is exacrtly the same as on my desk.
Sinc, we are using the Xplore tablets as data collectors. GPS, Air Cards, CADD Software, full VPN connectivity.
They send the stuff in from the field and I "pretty it up". I have to do the surfaces and contours, but the day is coming where I will be able to teach them how to that. I can forsee the final product being emailed from the field to the client.

http://www.xploretech.com/index.pl?id=2686
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 10:22:18 AM by Dent Cermak »

Josh Nieman

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 09:59:18 AM »
I was astounded by field technology when I saw heavy machinery that automatically raised/lowered the uh.. blade? doing gradings based on GPS locations and somehow-automatically-known elevation.

That and cutting ditches based on GPS...  all that kind of stuff is pretty keen.  Makes me wonder if people will even be looking at the work they're doing in 15 years, rather than looking at a computer screen.

Atook

• Swamp Rat
  • AKA Tim
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 10:47:37 AM »
Sure you were astounded Josh, we all know how much you hate new fangled software... ;)

Josh Nieman

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 11:08:18 AM »
Sure you were astounded Josh, we all know how much you hate new fangled software... ;)

lol

I'm sure there're operators that hate it just as much as I hate new CAD software that's new just for the sake of being new, or the sake of having another fad to capitalize on.  I'm sure there're plenty of capable operators that can do the job just as well and just as fast as someone with that new fangled equipment too.

I'll give it the "oohs and ahs" that it deserves though.

sinc

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 12:01:00 PM »
Sinc, we are using the Xplore tablets as data collectors. GPS, Air Cards, CADD Software, full VPN connectivity.

It's a bit hard to tell what they're like from the web page.  How do those things work in the field?  They look pretty big.  Do they attach to stakeout rods?  It looks like a keyboard can be attached to them.  Do the field guys use keyboards, or can they do everything by touching the screen?

Dent Cermak

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 08:03:53 PM »
They are much larger than the average data collector. The screen area is about 10"x12"". (I think it's about 9 pounds. Bout the same their hunting rifle weighs, so they can't fuss much.) It comes with straps that you can use to either hang it on yer belly or wear it on a forearm. Most of the guys are using tripod adaptors they have made or are using the small plane tables. The power in the field is such that they haven't had time to really complain about the size and weight.They say it's really easier than juggling a data collector and a field book. (The field book is maintained in the unit in a journal file.) They even maintain their time sheets on the unit and submit them daily via our server. Any control data they may need in the field can be directly accessed from the web sites using the WIFI stuff.
There is an onscreen keyboard that works with a stylus. A wireless keyboard and mouse can also be used with no real problems. Everything is wireless and there are several Bluetooth features available. There are no wires linking the data collector to the instruments. They are supposed to have a 90' range, but 30' in the woods is more realistic.
There were a lot of raised eyebrows when we first started this project. The old time field hands were resistant. That lasted about a week. Now you couldn't separate these guys from the tablets with a crowbar. Like any new technology there are growing pains, but now the field hands are as rabid about these things as I used to be about R14.
Be aware though that the posted link is not quite true on their "Ruggedness". We had 2 of the earlier units shut down due to the Mississippi heat and humidity. That may be pretty much fixed now.
You cannot drop them on concrete as they state. One of the guys gropped his on our carpet in the office and the screen shattered.(Understand our carpet is that cheap, commercial, syrveyoirs can walk on it with muddy boots, "plush" pile. Not much protection there. But is is REALLY good for building up a static charge on a cold winter day so you can pop the crap out of the guy in the next cubby.)
Also ment to mention that we get the "enhanced screen". Tha base unit is made to be used generally as an inventory device, so it's screen works well in a warehouce environment. Our screens are clearly visible out in the Mississippi sun. (I wish I had a screen like this on my cell phone or digital; camera, both of which are useless outside on one of our sun drenched days.)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 08:34:32 PM by Dent Cermak »