Author Topic: Asbuilts?  (Read 6842 times)

CottageCGirl

Re: Asbuilts?
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2006, 01:26:36 PM »

Thank you Birdy, let's remind everyone that there is a HUGE range with in each of the professional specialties.....

I definatly did not mean to offend, its just a rarity that I have run accross a designer working with CAD, but thats just my personal experience.

I actually don't offend that easily, but you left a big opening for a nudge..... :-)
There are tons of us, but you won't run into many in residential, there you find more decorator/designers where as in commercial we are more architectural/designers.

Shinyhead

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2006, 01:40:15 PM »
I actually don't offend that easily, but you left a big opening for a nudge..... :-)
There are tons of us, but you won't run into many in residential, there you find more decorator/designers where as in commercial we are more architectural/designers.

Thinking about what I have seen on various arch. drawings you are right regarding the commercial stuff, the job to which I am referring was a rather unusual situation where the designer was seperate from the architect and simply was taking the owner for a ride.  They were one of those people that had no concept of what was realistic and what wasn't. Its bad when on a 50 million dollar budget they still ended up getting reigned in for being too extravagent with the ideas they were coming up with. Not hard on a big commercial job, but when its a single family home (as in 3 stories, 5 bedrooms, 1 kitchen, nothing huge) that speaks volumes. :lmao:

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2006, 01:46:19 PM »

:-D :-D
Yeah I was correctly corrected when I called a commercial "architectural/designers" a "decorator".  Talk about a stick of dynamite going off.  Don't get me started on what she had us changing.  My Mechanical & Sprinkler consultant were going to hang her by her thumbnails.  :-D
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Birdy

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2006, 05:37:52 PM »
You came to mind CCG.  ..... and I saw the nudge coming. :)  Thought I'd try to head it off.
For the record, I'm not a designer.  I too do millwork and casework.  We're an amalgamation of design (interpretive, I guess~ "what the heck do they want" kinda design), drafting, and engineering (ie: take the design and turn it into something that can actually be built)

Fortunately, we don't typically do asbuilts.  (once, maybe).  I can see for FM it'd be pretty important.

Nice link btw, Jay.  I'm glad that this ain't something we are likely to ever deal with (asbuilts, that is.)

I guess it really depends on your industry, as to wether they get done, and if they're even important.

So, Krushert, what DID she have you change (nudge)  :evil:

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2006, 06:28:36 PM »
So, Krushert, what DID she have you change (nudge)  :evil:

Ahh come to think of it; I don't want to discuss it :cry:

craigr

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2006, 11:49:02 AM »
You folks watch....

In the coming years, asbuilts will be required due to lawsuits. Lawyers will sue for anything these days. Hey, you stand a better chance at winning a lawsuit than the Lottery -   :realmad:

The biggest problem will be getting accurate field dwgs. This is a problem we have. I have to 'chase' the project leaders for field dwgs on half of our jobs. We then save the field dwgs for 10 years to backup the changes I make to our dwgs. They have come in handy, & we are just in the Bldg. Controls / Security area.

craigr

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2006, 12:25:54 PM »

In the coming years, asbuilts will be required due to lawsuits. Lawyers will sue for anything these days.

craigr

Sad, but true, and prob will become true.
Acad 2013 and XM
Back when High Tech meant you had an adjustable triangle

Dinosaur

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2006, 12:42:51 PM »
We are just starting to see a new trend around here for new home stakeout plans.  Some cities are starting to ask for an as-built grading plan of the lot before home construction and have any required drainage swales provided with erosion protection in place before construction can begin.  After the home is completed a second as-built plan must be provided complete with all new topography.  Among other things, this will add a couple more thousand dollars to the price of a new home and a lot of new dollars for the tax assessor each year.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2006, 01:44:19 PM »
any required drainage swales .... a lot of new dollars for the tax assessor each year.

This is they can charge you water front property when it floods.   :-D

t-bear

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2006, 02:14:26 PM »
I'm in mechanical design...EVERY project is as-built here.  These systems are all one-off.....no two alike...so each one is designed from square one.  We see a lot of changes between submittal and final delvery....as-builts are a must for the customers operator manual.....and to help service find their way around the system five years from now. :roll: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

jagwinn

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2006, 05:50:56 PM »
Hello Craig,

I just spent 2 days putting together 4 as-builts for the phone company.

I also received another mark-up from the tech today, so more is added to the list.

Go Andover!

John

kentium3k

• Newt
  • Adopt a Greyhound! No, not a bus.
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2006, 01:37:59 PM »
I started for an M/E/P firm years ago and we worked on site at a semiconductor site.  The owner was paying us to do "as-builts".  I looked over what the draftsman was doing in support of this and his idea of "as-builts" was to change the notes on the drawings from "Route 1/2"-N2 tubing from x to y", to "Routed 1/2"-N2...".  I asked him if that is what the client really wanted and he said that is what they had provided for years.  They had no idea where it was routed, etc. they just wanted it to say Routed, etc.  I went to the client to explain why that didn't really give them anything of value and they finally started creating master system drawings and using contractor mark-ups to create Record Drawings.
Prosperity is only an instrument to be used, not a deity to be worshiped. C. Coolidge

craigr

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2006, 02:06:13 PM »
It amazes me the lack of 'professionalism' some people have!

Everyone should do their best, no matter what thier job is. If asbuilts are reqired, then give them CORRECT asbuilts. It's better to give them nothing at all than incorrect asbuilts.

In the future, Lawyers will be looking at asbuilts documentation to create / backup lawsuits.

craigr

Shinyhead

« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2006, 03:21:20 PM »
I have the same attitude when it comes to overriding dims. If you are going to draw it, draw it right. 
We make ugly things happen to people who override dims.  :pissed:

I just can't do anything about the drawings that come in from the clients.  :realmad:

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2006, 03:37:18 PM »
We make ugly things happen to people who override dims.  :pissed:

Uhhh like shave their head and dye their head blue??  :-D
(Just a joke, hope that does not come across wrong)

Craig is right total lack of professionalism, both drafters and contractors. Could be why Equipment Operators "find" so many utilities.
Acad 2013 and XM
Back when High Tech meant you had an adjustable triangle