Author Topic: AUTO LINE DRAW  (Read 13748 times)

Dent Cermak

AUTO LINE DRAW
« on: April 18, 2006, 12:16:25 PM »
We are trying to get the most out of the figure prefix library and the automatic line draw feature.  Does anyone have a complete list of the data collector codes that LDD will recognize? I already know about "B"Begin, "E" End, "C3"3 Point Curve, "R"Recall and the Continue commands. Are there any other data collector commands that affect the auto line draw functions?

Dent Cermak

Re: AUTO LINE DRAW
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 06:21:57 PM »
16 views and no answer?? Am I the only one using the figure prefix libraray in a civil engineering world? Surely not!   :-o Or is this one of those "secret" things ??  :|

Dinosaur

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 06:25:34 PM »
Sorry Dent, my outfit won't even load it on the computer even though they have it . . . go figure

EDIT

there is a link to MJFarrell a few pages back.  He would be sure to know.  I just sent an SOS last night or I would ask him for you.

Dent Cermak

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 05:23:13 PM »
Dino, you are not telling me that when you get the field data you do the "connect the dots" thing are you?

Dinosaur

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 05:36:44 PM »
Yes sir, I am.  According to them, it is easier for me to do that than them having to learn how to use a modern program . . . I guess that it IS . . . for them.

Dent Cermak

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 05:50:35 PM »
So they don't mind paying you for several hours of work that I can do in about 15 seconds? I know they will say that it will take longer in the field, but our use shows a 10% increase in field time once you get the system set up.AND, if I initially turn on my descriptor keys, I get all blocks and all lines in 30 seconds max. Oh well, it's a surveyor driven thing and we are stuck with the "we have always done it this way" syndrome.
So you have to decide what the site looks like and how all them curbs hookup just from the shots. Or do they make you go to the field? I am supporting offices in Pensacola and Birmingham, so a site walk is out of the question.
We are trying to expand this system using the new data collectors where the PC can see the shots as they are made. Then they can see if their line work comes in correctly and make sure they have everything. Get that .FBK file and WHOOP!! THERE IT IS!! It's called "Maximizing Profits".

Dinosaur

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 06:19:31 PM »
The party chief has a rinky little program that supposedly connects a few things, but it works about half the time for curbs (generating ridiculous curb returns when it does) and property lines if they plug in the correct code.  It is also not very com patable with 2004 drawings and several layers come in with no name.  The stuff is there but it can't display because the layer isn't defined.  Everything also comes in with color and linetype hard coded.  I still have to insert all of the symbols and do most of the linework myself so for most small sites it is better to not get the linework it generates.  And yes, sometimes I HAVE had to go out myself to clarify things, but usually I can have them explain themselves the next morning before they go out.

Even though they have current versions of LDT and Civil 3D at their disposal, everyone higher up the food chain than I use them like it was still r9 and DCA.  I have seen them throw tantrums when they tried to work in a drawing with a paperspace viewport.  They tried to tell me I couldn't use viewports until I pointed out that their then new EaglePoint would not work without them.  Now I am real glad I am home or I might have to walk out in protest

Dent Cermak

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 09:15:18 PM »
I feel your pain, Bro!! :mrgreen:

Dent Cermak

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 09:12:08 PM »
Dino, I have searched the member list and every freaking page of this topic and can't find Mr. Farrell's link anywhere. Could you axe him to check this post and edumacate me?  ^-^

Dinosaur

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 09:23:35 PM »
Dino, I have searched the member list and every freaking page of this topic and can't find Mr. Farrell's link anywhere. Could you axe him to check this post and edumacate me?  ^-^

Here you go Dent.  I think he is doing a training session this week so he may not be checking messages very frequently.

To all users, should you find yourself locked into some mortal combat with Land Desktop, Civil Design, Survey, Civil 3d, or MAP please feel free to forward your post directly to my EMAIL
In this way I offer a Life Raft, or Escape Pod for your use, as you sail the SWAMP!

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 10:43:45 PM »
And the winners are...

BEGIN
 CONT
  START
   END
    RECALL
     C3
       PRC
        PC
         PT
And the underdocumented; Offset that works great for drawing the other side of the
wall

Also noet that all of this dovetails with your Figure Pref, and your Description Keys, and having proper layers already in your DWT.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Dent Cermak

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2006, 09:20:18 AM »
Thank you sir. I like the note about the dwt file. I was beginning to think that I was the only one here using the dwt too.

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2006, 11:07:15 AM »
How would you use this for the fields guys when collecting data???? to use the above codes?

thxs
Civil3D 2020

Dent Cermak

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2006, 12:59:53 PM »
When they start shooting a feature, sat the edge of an asphalt road, they would enter "B EA" in the data collector. When they have shot as far as the can they then would type in "END". They would repeat this for all lineal features. When they pick back up on that last asphalt shot they would enter "B EA" and then "R what ever that last shot number was" ie "R 145" and then start shooting the road again. When they have shot as far as they can again, the type in "END".
If your figure prefix library and DWT file are set up correctly, when you import your FBK file, the lines will be automatically be drawn for you.
You can see the time savings there vs node to node line work. EVERYTHING in about 5 seconds. Really.
Tell you what, go to your setup and see what abbreviations are listed under you Figure Prefix Library and let me know what they are. I think there is a short library pre-loaded with LDD. If so I can send you an FBK file with the codes in it. Some of the linework should come in and give you a general idea of how this works.
Better yet I will see about putting one on the Lily Pond so everybody can play. Just got to find one that I can release. (Oh, the program will give an error something like "Figure not defined yet" , just tell it to IGNORE ALL. We already know it's not defined.

Dinosaur

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2006, 01:29:41 PM »
MSTG007 - Just for clarification . . . I know you are doing a lot of Civil 3D now.  This only works with LDT currently.  2007 Civil 3D is supposed to have survey built in, so this functionality MAY be included then.