Author Topic: We need a challenge!  (Read 16281 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
We need a challenge!
« on: April 18, 2006, 04:26:33 AM »
Anyone have good challenge to put forth?

How about you ElpanovEvgeniy, I bet you could come up with a real good one. :-)
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

hudster

• Gator
Re: We need a challenge!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 05:04:13 AM »
here you go.

write a lisp which when a drawing is opened, opens a text file adds the user name, date and time the drawing was opened and the drawing name.
Then when the drawing is closed, writes the total editing time for that session, and saves the log file to a central location.
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

Serge J. Gianolla

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 05:04:57 AM »
A challenge you said!
How 'bout someone cracking the formula for Straight Skeletons for Roofs!  :-D
Was posted outside the challenge zone but users shy away for some reason.  :evil:

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 05:15:39 AM »
A challenge you said!
How 'bout someone cracking the formula for Straight Skeletons for Roofs!  :-D
Was posted outside the challenge zone but users shy away for some reason.  :evil:

Serge, Do you have Martindales .. ?
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Serge J. Gianolla

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 05:27:28 AM »
Serge, Do you have Martindales .. ?

?? THE MARTINDALES 21st Century Roots Rock
 No Kerry!  :laugh:

I'll investigate. Thanx

Serge J. Gianolla

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 05:31:57 AM »
Is this what you meant Kerry?

http://www.martindalecenter.com/

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 06:02:58 AM »
Nope , hang about ..
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 06:19:36 AM »
It's about 1.2 Meg .. can you PM your email , or Messenger address..

Serge J. Gianolla

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 06:26:34 AM »
It's about 1.2 Meg .. can you PM your email , or Messenger address..

Done... Hopefully

hendie

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 06:54:59 AM »
Anyone have good challenge to put forth?

what about a series of challenges over time, that once complete, can be combined to create a suite of applications, or one (much larger) useful utility.

One idea that springs to mind is something that has been floated here before.... a mini EDMS or some form of document management utility.
Spec out what the doc mangement utility would require in terms of functions then issue each one as a challenge.
Once all the challenges are complete, combine them to form the full program, make it free for all swampers and offer it for a nominal fee to outsiders... or free to all participants (whether their routine is chosen or not) and for a nominal fee to anyone else. It would help with the upkeep of the swamp !

Challenge: Routine to create a new database in Access with a table containing a field for each atttribute in a user selected titleblock.
Must prompt user to select titleblock
Must prompt user for name and location of database
Must also add fields for path and filename and ... ?

Challenge: Routine to check if drawing exists in database when closing, if not, prompt user to add to database

Challenge: Routine to save titleblock information back to database when save/close drawing

Challenge: Routine to check if drawing exists in database when opening, if not, then prompt user to add dwg to database

Challenge: Routine to check drawing upon opening and update attribute values in titleblock from database

Challenge: Routine to open drawing from database.

Challenge: Routine to copy file, renaming and relocating in the process

Challenge: Routine to create new table based upon user selection of a block within the drawing.
table must contain a field for all block attributes along with drawing filename and path

etc etc. Obviously it would need to be spec'd out properly, but there's no reason why Swampers could not create a relatively straight forward simple EDMS that could be used by all.

There's something in there for both Lispers and VBA'ers and each challenge in itself is not too difficult, but could have a good learning curve for participants and end up creating an extremely useful utility for alll to enjoy.

nivuahc

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2006, 07:02:06 AM »
How about a routine in your choice of programming language that translates regular expressions into plain english in real time ;)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2006, 07:16:28 AM »
How about a routine in your choice of programming language that translates regular expressions into plain english in real time ;)
whiskey tango foxtrot? 

nivuahc

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2006, 07:26:07 AM »
whiskey tango foxtrot? 

That's my line! :lmao:

Regular expressions
A regular expression (abbreviated as regexp or regex, with plural forms regexps, regexes, or regexen) is a string that describes or matches a set of strings, according to certain syntax rules. Regular expressions are used by many text editors and utilities to search and manipulate bodies of text based on certain patterns. Many programming languages support regular expressions for string manipulation. For example, Perl and Tcl have a powerful regular expression engine built directly into their syntax. The set of utilities (including the editor sed and the filter grep) provided by Unix distributions were the first to popularize the concept of regular expressions.

So, for example, when I type
Code: [Select]
H(ä|ae?)ndel
It would return
Händel or Handel or Haendel

Or vice-versa :-)

Shinyhead

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2006, 07:30:38 AM »
If I may make a request for a challange that has been stumping me.
We do a lot of dimedits to dimension text such as EQ. A, EQ. B, EQ. B+1/2" etc.
There are far too many variations for scripts to really handle and I cannot use lisp due to all the LT machines.

I have been thinking a routine which prompts you for a dim edit, then you simply click on the dims you need changed.
Here is the hard part, how can you do that AND put in line returns (\P), I have been trying to figure this out FOREVER.
I can make it work without the \P, but once I need a line return I can no longer automate it.

A typical dimedit script would be as follows

dim
new
<>\P(VIF.)
;

but if I wanted to get a user value instead of \P(V.I.F.) I know of no way to pass this to dimedit (no diesel in scripts) and in the macro you cannot pass \P to the dimedit as it cant read the slash properly outside of the script.

I could save the company a lot of money if I worked around this one.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2006, 07:33:28 AM »
That's my line! :lmao:
Yea I know, I've been waiting a long time to use too. :-)

So, for example, when I type
Code: [Select]
H(ä|ae?)ndel
It would return
Händel or Handel or Haendel

Or vice-versa :-)

That would be a challenge for me! I currently use a firefox plugin to test re's, it will highlight the match as you enter the regex. I think it uses pcre lib but I'd have to check.

EDIT: Formatted that for ya, Bro ;)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 07:37:25 AM by nivuahc »