Author Topic: Save default Drawing1.dwg???????  (Read 7007 times)

Anonymous

Save default Drawing1.dwg???????
« on: February 25, 2004, 10:05:09 AM »
My question is...Why is AutoCAD wanting me to save the blank default Drawing1.dwg when exiting.

Even if I open AutoCAD and don't do a damn thing then go to close AutoCAD it asks me if I want to save default Drawing1.dwg. Is there a setting to disable this MOST annoying dialog box  :evil: . Thanks for your help!

Duncan Idaho

oops!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 10:26:10 AM »
I thought I was logged in when I posted above, not sure what happened. I Also realized that I didn't tell ya I am using acad 2k2 if that helps.

M-dub

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 10:46:40 AM »
When you start AutoCAD, go to File > Close (or the X to close that particular drawing).  It's like Microsoft Word and many other programs...it starts a new document every time you open AutoCAD.  If you do any commands in that drawing, it'll ask you if you want to save it.

Hope that helps...
Mike

Duncan Idaho

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 11:01:44 AM »
Thanks M-Dub, you are correct but I was wondering if there was a way to disable AutoCAD from asking me that everytime I close it. I opened Microsoft Word and immediately closed it and it did not ask me to save the new document because nothing was worked on. Thanks again, any other help will be much appreciated :)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 11:19:56 AM »
That doesn't happen here! If I open plain ACAD then close it, it closes. Perhaps something is creating an entity in the dwg on startup.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

hendie

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 11:24:05 AM »
if you do anything, and that includes a zoom, then the dbmod variable changes and that means you are prompted for a save.

if you haven't done anything and you are still prompted, as Mark ahs stated then there must be something running that changes that variable

M-dub

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004, 11:49:40 AM »
Do us a small favour...

Open AutoCAD, then press F2, then copy everything you see and paste it in here...that'll give us a clue as to what's happening.

Duncan Idaho

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2004, 01:39:35 PM »

Hope this helps, thanks!

M-dub

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2004, 02:38:00 PM »
Sorry, but it didn't really help me...There doesn't seem to be anything going on that would modify the drawing in any way....
So, you're saying that if you start AutoCAD, then close Drawing1 as soon as AutoCAD is finished loading, you are asked if you want to save the changes?  That's very odd!  When my AutoCAD loads, I have a few lisp routines load and even RUN with every drawing and it doesn't ask me if I want to save.
Your REVCLOUD lisp, how is it loaded?  Is it in your startup suite or did you put it in your acad2000doc.lsp?  Just curious.
I think I'm out of ideas.  I know it doesn't take long for that to happen...

Duncan Idaho

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2004, 04:06:20 PM »
Yes sir on the AutoCAD save question...the odd thing is that a co-worker is using exactly the same setup as I am and his AutoCAD does not ask him to save Drawing1.dwg. We have compared setups and they are identical as far as we can tell.

The REVCLOUD lisp WAS in my startup suite but just about 30 minutes ago I removed it because I finally was able to get Express Tools working...we went from r14 to 2k2 and the instructions on the Adesk website were a little confusing to me (doesn't take much to do that though) and it explains going from 2k to 2k2 so some files didn't match up from r14 to 2k.

ATM I am going to try a fresh install of 2k2 and see if it still asks me to save Drawing1.dwg. I really appreciate the input from everyone here, thank you!

M-dub

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2004, 04:08:34 PM »
I'd be willing to bet that a fresh install will do the trick.  Let us know.

Duncan Idaho

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2004, 04:17:33 PM »
I'll be sure to let you know tomorrow..it's Miller Time for me  :lol:

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2004, 05:42:25 PM »
If you have any programs that change anything then it will ask the user to save it.

I used to have the same problem until I found that a program that was loading was changing a variable that is saved in the drawing. After that I just put up with the setting until I found a way to prevent the program from running in the background.

Unless it is a setup routine doing the changing, you can always utilize the following in your loadtime setup routines.
Code: [Select]

(if (/= dwgtitled 0)
 (do_the_proggie)
)

Now the program will not run unless the drawing is actually named something.

Be careful though, if you decide to use the drawing for anything and save it later, the setup procedures will not have been ran.

Also you might note that desktop addons such as ADT and MDT create hidden blocks in the drawing when the arx modules are loaded for those addons. These are not easily disabled and can actually only be turned off by NOT using the addon template.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Duncan Idaho

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2004, 10:49:17 AM »
Well.....the save message dialog box went away on 2 of the 4 reinstalls of CAD. It works fine until I load my custom menu. A co-worker and I spent all day yesterday fooling with this thing and finally got to a point where we just quit and said we would work on it Monday when he gets back. I'm able to do what I need to do but that save message is still a pain in the butt. After reading Keith's post its obvious there is something in my menu that is affecting it. Thanks for all the input from everyone, PEACE!

M-dub

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2004, 11:18:04 AM »
Definitely sounds like it.  Just out curiosity, is your custom menu a full menu or partial?  There could be a LOT of stuff you could get rid of if you're loading the standard ACAD.mnu AND your menu.  That's what I do anyway...I have a partial menu that has only my stuff in it.  Things such as one or two puldown menus, a few toolbars, etc.  Anyway, Keith's the guy you want advice from, however, it might not be a bad idea to post your menu here somewhere so we could have a look at it.