Author Topic: bend radius lisp?  (Read 3195 times)

ELOQUINTET

bend radius lisp?
« on: February 23, 2004, 04:43:13 PM »
i was wondering if anyone has a lisp for doing bend radiuses on metal. basically what i'm looking for is something with which i can either pick a material thickness or choose from a dialogue and fillet a corner according to this formula: outside bend radius=1 1/2x material thickness. inside radius= 1/2 of outside. i think this is the formula but i could be mistaken. anyway i'm wondering if someone has something similar or could help me write it as my first project? thanks

Ron Heigh

bend radius lisp?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 08:32:11 AM »
what kind of metal?

ELOQUINTET

bend radius lisp?
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2004, 08:40:21 AM »
ummm it's mostly stainless steel but some aluminum too. i think the easiest way would be to select the thickness starting from outside to inside. it would take that number multiply it by 1 1/2 and set that radius as the outside then divide that by half for the inside. make sense?

hendie

bend radius lisp?
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2004, 11:30:35 AM »
I always thought that as a "rule of thumb", the minimum bend allowance for the inner radius was 1.5 x material thickness.
this will give you the change in length required
BEND ALLOWANCE FORMULA

By experimentation with actual bends in metals, aircraft engineers have found that accurate bending results could be obtained by using the following formula for any degree of bend from 1 to 180:

(0.0173 x R + 0.0078 x T)

Where

R = the desired bend radius,

x N =BA

T = the thickness of the material, and

N = the number of degrees of bend.