Author Topic: What do you think to Autodesk releasing the new 2005 version  (Read 3632 times)

hyposmurf

What do you think to Autodesk releasing the new 2005 version
« on: February 19, 2004, 08:37:50 AM »
You tempted or just satisfied with the recent 2004 version?

CADaver

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 09:32:03 AM »
I answered yes, I'm just not sure to which

daron

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 09:39:11 AM »
Yes, because when the ADT is released, it'll be sent to me.

pmvliet

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 09:39:27 AM »
I would say I would be tempted to go to 2005 and skip 2004.
But that all depends on how good it is once it is released.
I really like 2002, but I want to start exploring true color for colored elevation and schematic type work...

It does seem really soon to release yet another version. I am presuming it is the same file type as 2004. So far what I have read about 2005, there is not much new in the actual process of drawing things. Jsut more mangament tools which smaller firms would most likely no take advantage of.

If someone know's how to post pdf's to this site, I can send them to you and you could do it... have the white sheet, what's new etc...

Pieter

hendie

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 09:45:36 AM »
jeez, we haven't even got round to getting 2004 yet and they've gone and shoved 2005 into the mix. It's just geting harder and harder to justify the money to myself, far less to the IT trolls.
Do I tell them to get 2004 or hold on another few months and get 2005 ? or just stick with 2000 ????
what are the real benefits apart from a fancy see through dialogues and trendy buttons ?
can it do a helix or a screwthread yet ?
is it easier to interface with an external database ?
what about parametrics ?

this has got nothing to do with customer service , it's all about money grabbing of the worst sort

Craig

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 10:03:12 AM »
NO...As I stated in another post I'm just getting my feet wet with 2002! The way ADesk is going my version won't be supported by the end of 2004. :shock:

VerticalMojo

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2004, 10:11:23 AM »
Nope........ Half the crap I will never use. But now that I think about it... the more complicating the software... the more important I become......

Kate M

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2004, 10:40:29 AM »
I had to lobby hard enough just to get 2004 (nevermind that I didn't know 2000i wasn't the one expiring...shhhhh :oops:). We won't be going anywhere anytime soon. That said, I do like 2004 MUCH better than 2000, so I'm not complaining. :-)

VerticalMojo

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2004, 10:54:42 AM »
Well I could see that it would be better.... but only for people like us.... Most the other guys who only know the basics will never use the new features. Would it be worth it? for me yes but not anybody else....... and if they cared I would have a  multi monitor Cadding Machine, with ice cube dispenser. It aint gonna happen as long as we can do the job with what we have.  :( .My job? Do the best work with what I have....

pmvliet

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2004, 11:04:36 AM »
http://taylor-tech.com/software/getSoftwareByID/3/view.html

Here is some info about 2005 for your reading pleasure...

this is a nasty cycle that we are in now. There are the people that rush right out and get the new software then there are those that just hang back to make sure it is ok. r13 was a great example and I think will always be in the back of people's mind when it is time to go to a new version.

But now, with releases every year those that wait will be 2 version's behind before they realize... Then Adesk gets nasty and says they won't support anything 2 version's or older. There are some nice things in 2002 and I am sure 2004 has something's as well (as I stated I want to explore true color for color presentations) The reality of it though, is I still could function fairly well on r12... for DOS  :D

Those who work with other firms on a regular basis get trapped as well because  in order to stay productive and stay on the same file type, you may need to upgrade before you are ready or financially able to.

And there is no simple answer for all of us. Some of us are one person firms, Some are 5-10 drafters and then I work at a company with probably 200 drafter's/engineer's.

laters
pieter

hyposmurf

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2004, 05:14:19 PM »
Another new feature of 2005 locks to hardware

daron

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2004, 06:07:01 PM »
Quote from: From above link
* There is a Portable License Utility that lets you run AutoCAD on other computers, transferring the licence from machine to machine.

They have this for VIZ 4+. It works, but it's not really too much fun or convenient to use. Be sure to read the manual on that one. Probably a few times just to get the hang of it.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2004, 08:40:56 PM »
... and no-one has mentioned the important stuff.

has Vlisp changed ?
has VB/VBA changed ?

are the ARX files compatible .. ??
.. will I have to get a new version of the ObjectARX Library and Visual Studio. ??
is .NET supported ??
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2004, 10:13:14 AM »
Well .. I sure killed that thread, didn't I.
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

daron

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2004, 10:21:10 AM »
It's a good point, but I wonder what 2005 is written off of? What I mean is are they issuing software on a beta version of windows, like in the past, where they'll have to issue patch after patch because the software company they based it on, made changes to their software? Are they also going to use a beta version of .NET, and have a buggy Apps version because of their premature release party?