Author Topic: How do you organize your lisp codes?  (Read 27558 times)

CADaver

Re: How do you organize your lisp codes?
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2006, 03:51:02 PM »
Down boy, I'll turn the garden hose on ya'.

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2006, 04:20:45 PM »
Randy we've missed you around here.   :-)
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2006, 05:48:06 PM »
Hello,

How do you organize your lisp codes?   ..................
Kelie

Shared Library Helper Routines : distributed as one VLX compiled from 17 files each containing similar class of code. ... multiple defuns per file .ie List stuff, string stuff, xdata stuff etc. Files kept in Library Folder

Simple command Shortcuts etc : Left as open LSP. Multiple defuns in one file.

Simple Routines : compiled from {inumerable} individual files into several VLX files. Try to keep single global defuns {and helpers} per file. One folder for each VLX project.

Applications : One folder for each VLX project. Try to keep single global defuns {and helpers} per file.

kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2006, 03:20:33 AM »
Randy we've missed you around here.   :-)

I was thinking the same thing, it's just not been the same. Now all you and Keith need to do is start a "debate". :-D
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

CADaver

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2006, 08:19:08 AM »
well the company I'm working for relented somewhat on their earlier hasty descision.  I think my boss just got tired of me asking him to do my inet searches for me, then standing behind him telling him how to do it.

whdjr

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2006, 08:39:31 AM »
well the company I'm working for relented somewhat on their earlier hasty descision.  I think my boss just got tired of me asking him to do my inet searches for me, then standing behind him telling him how to do it.

That'll do it everytime.  Welcome back Randy. :-)

whdjr

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2006, 08:42:26 AM »
Hello,

How do you organize your lisp codes?   ..................
Kelie

Shared Library Helper Routines : distributed as one VLX compiled from 17 files each containing similar class of code. ... multiple defuns per file .ie List stuff, string stuff, xdata stuff etc. Files kept in Library Folder

Simple command Shortcuts etc : Left as open LSP. Multiple defuns in one file.

Simple Routines : compiled from {inumerable} individual files into several VLX files. Try to keep single global defuns {and helpers} per file. One folder for each VLX project.

Applications : One folder for each VLX project. Try to keep single global defuns {and helpers} per file.

Kerry,
I thought the question was how to organize your lisp files.   :evil:
Your method looks pretty far out there(or maybe it's the way you explained it).

Care to elaborate any more for those of us that can't quite visualize your method?

:-)

Didge

• Bull Frog
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2006, 08:46:36 AM »
I'd previously thought I was well organised, having read through the above posts however I'm now beginning to believe I'm the most dis-organised swampee :-(

My coding tends to get thrown together until it works, at which point I should add extensive comments and generally tidy them up. Sadly, I never seem to get the time for the tidying so much of my coding remains "thrown together".

Some of the above posts and Kelie's code snippet in the "usage of global variables" thread have  given me some interesting ideas about standardising my coding so things are looking promising.  
Think Slow......

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2006, 08:49:16 AM »
Didge, that is what we do here ... we throw out ideas, ask questions, and debate the nuances of one scheme over another .. in the end I believe we all end up with something positive that we can take from it.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

whdjr

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2006, 09:10:01 AM »
Well said Keith, well said.  :wink:

Jürg Menzi

• Swamp Rat
  • Oberegg, Switzerland
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2006, 09:25:30 AM »
Because I've to maintain a lot of different app's, I use this kind of structure (most of you know my prog headers):

A computer's human touch is its unscrupulousness!
MENZI ENGINEERING GmbH
Current A2k16... A2k24 - Start R2.18

RbtDanforth

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2006, 09:41:43 AM »
Gee I feel all simple minded, I have mostly done the Rent-a-Tech shuffle, and only rarely worked where there was anyone with the slightest lisp capability. I have also worked in several disciplines, as, in the old days, all they cared about was your ability to make Autocad work and they would teach about the discipline.

The resulting compilation is that most focus on geometry issues rather than say doors (though I did do a whole raft of doors) and each is self sufficient, no crossrefing functions, and are designed to work in any type work environment , from "we don't do blocks or polylines" to some very sophisticated and regimented offices. They are also by necessity small, as most were written on the fly, and I personally prefer a "one job one lisp" idiots are on their own approach.

Occasionally I am the cad manager, sometimes the cad guru, sometimes the Leper :ugly:

When I have been the cad manager I have set the other folks options to point at a directory on the server where I managed the lisp directory so everyone loaded the same (simplified) Acad.lsp and any special rarely used functions they would drag and drop. Before that was possible, I had a lisp routine that was similar to appload in the acad lisp. (I still do, and in general use it, rather than appload out of habit)

Doing Autocad on the old 8088, every move had to have an eye to the time issues for the computer, when even a redraw was a coffee break, and a regen was lunch. But now even an old 500mhz with a "paltry"  :lmao:  526 meg of ram is only rarely inconvenienced enough to notice. And with a decent, hot, dualchipper, even a huge drawing works faster than fingers can go across the keyboard. So using up computer memory is not the concern it used to be.