Author Topic: AutoCAD 3d wishlist  (Read 16347 times)

MickD

• King Gator
  • (x-in)->[process]->(y-out) ... simples!
AutoCAD 3d wishlist
« on: March 16, 2006, 08:00:28 PM »
After the discussion about 3d Usage??, I thought it would be interesting to see what you would like to see in AutoCAD that would help you with your discipline to produce 'outgoing' drawings more effectively.
For instance, I'd like to be able to create a 2d drawing from a part in the model with ortho and section views. I know this can be done using paperspace and other tools but it can be a lengthy process.
Example, open a drawing, pick your object from a list and paste it in with selected views, annotate and start again, simple.

I know this can be done through customisation and I've been working on these issues for some time (and getting there ;)) but some things would be nice to have 'out of the box'.

What would you like?
"Programming is really just the mundane aspect of expressing a solution to a problem."
- John Carmack

"Short cuts make long delays,' argued Pippin.”
- J.R.R. Tolkien

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
Re: AutoCAD 3d wishlist
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 08:17:04 PM »
I've wanted the ability to create 3D polylines complete with real arcs (not splined and and not one radius for all arcs either) for over a decade (primary use would be for routing). I've had to fake it by apprimating the arcs with vectors. I haven't heard whether 2007 can do this or not (my hopes are not high). A more robust version of solprof that's a native method (i.e. programable method) would be nice, layer colors / linetypes on a viewport by viewport basis, 3D solids et al that aren't encrypted (yes I know how to xor the acis codes) and are mutable via code ... yada.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Tramber

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 01:44:53 PM »
I would have a lot of wishes and I know some are pretty much to be avalaible in Acad2007.

• But still, I think that Splines should be "breakable" and possibly manipulated afterward in term of Starting and Ending tangency graphically.
  • A permanent X Y and/or Z filter would be nice too. It exists in many CAD systems, like TurboCAD, for example.

MickD

• King Gator
  • (x-in)->[process]->(y-out) ... simples!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 03:33:34 PM »
Bert' try setting the PELLIPSE variable to 1, this should draw your ellipses as polylines which might make things easier ;).
hth.
"Programming is really just the mundane aspect of expressing a solution to a problem."
- John Carmack

"Short cuts make long delays,' argued Pippin.”
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Tramber

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 02:13:08 AM »
Bert' try setting the PELLIPSE variable to 1, this should draw your ellipses as polylines which might make things easier ;).
hth.

Don't laugh at my whishlist  :kewl:

Didge

• Bull Frog
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 05:20:56 AM »
For many many years I've wanted a way to edit the 'surftab1' & 'surftab2' mesh densities without having to delete and redraw the mesh eachtime.

I never did get around to coding a lisp solution for this one.

By the look of it, most of our 3D wishes may be answered in 2007 :-)
Think Slow......

zoltan

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 02:00:19 PM »
I have offten wished that I could control to vertex mapping and meshing of RULESURF.  If you make a ruled surface between two closed loops, like a rectangle and a circle, depending on how they were drawn, the surface can intersect itself.  Then you have to mess around with changing the order of the vertices in the polylines and such.

Tramber

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2006, 08:56:16 AM »
In my new wishlist for Acad 2007, I want to includ a new old feature.

I've been trying Acad 2007 and I find a pitty that it is not possible any more to move a solid by gripping it. Even if we press ENTER once.

I want my 2000-2006 functionnalities back !

Jim Yadon

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2006, 09:15:00 AM »
In my new wishlist for Acad 2007, I want to includ a new old feature.

I've been trying Acad 2007 and I find a pitty that it is not possible any more to move a solid by gripping it. Even if we press ENTER once.

I want my 2000-2006 functionnalities back !

With the way it is to edit the solids in 2k7 I'd think you'd just write your own routine and post it.

CADaver

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 04:02:41 PM »
Intelligent dview clipping

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 04:11:56 PM »
I wish the osnaps were a little more intuitive with solids ... but then I am only a casual solids user on my job, so I am sure there is something I am missing ...
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Tramber

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2006, 04:44:42 PM »
I would like the modeler.dll to be loaded since the beginning, wich becomes accurate with 2007 and its 3D working space.

CADaver

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2006, 04:52:22 PM »
I wish the osnaps were a little more intuitive with solids ...
?? such as?? What do you need besides endpoint, midpoint, center, etc.??

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2006, 04:58:46 PM »
I wish the osnaps were a little more intuitive with solids ...
?? such as?? What do you need besides endpoint, midpoint, center, etc.??

I occasionally need to get the intersection where the edge of 2 or more solids touch, not the intersection of the solid itself, but the intersection of the face of the solid.

The workaround I have found is to get the interference solid, and obtain the endpoint on one of the faces that is on the same plane.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

CADaver

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2006, 05:03:04 PM »
Filters?