Author Topic: ObjectDCL and ObjectARX  (Read 10182 times)

MickD

• King Gator
  • (x-in)->[process]->(y-out) ... simples!
ObjectDCL and ObjectARX
« on: March 06, 2006, 05:09:06 PM »
...how do these 2 technologies play together? Is it all activeX or its own breed from Autodesk that deals directly with the win32 api?
From what I've seen DCL produces some nice dialogs (shiney!) that would take quite a bit of setting up in win32 and I thought it may be worth further investigation.
This is from the arx sdk -
This function <ads_action_tile>  is part of the DCL dialog box API. The DCL mechanism is exported primarily to support AutoLISP and legacy ADSRX applications. Its use in modern ObjectARX contexts has been superceded by other supported SDKs, such as MFC.
Why would this be so?

TIA,
Mick.
"Short cuts make long delays,' argued Pippin.”
J.R.R. Tolkien

LE

Re: ObjectDCL and ObjectARX
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 05:21:05 PM »
The DCL inside of the ARX SDK is basically [or] the same as the DCL anyone writing a lisp routine could use for a dialog interface.

MickD

• King Gator
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 05:36:38 PM »
The DCL inside of the ARX SDK is basically [or] the same as the DCL anyone writing a lisp routine could use for a dialog interface.
Thanks Luis, is it 'efficient' performance wise or does it have to go through ActiveX, would you recommend using it with ARX??
J.R.R. Tolkien

MickD

• King Gator
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 05:41:01 PM »
Doh!, I should of had a look here -> http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=8634.0  first I guess. I would still be interested in your opinions though (regarding use with arx).
J.R.R. Tolkien

LE

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 05:49:33 PM »
Thanks Luis, is it 'efficient' performance wise or does it have to go through ActiveX, would you recommend using it with ARX??

It is something that had works for years... I have not done any sample with any of my arx routines...

You cannot have your own icon for the main bar, does not support controls... as far as I know.

I have to use MFC on the four UI I have done so far...

LE

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 06:06:17 PM »
I wonder what happen with SharpLisp... in that one, you were able to use also ObjectDCL for your dialogs... When I tried on the early beta stages, I never was able to make it work... but had a potential...

At least for the dialogs, something that is not easy in plain arx... or I mean using MFC

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 06:16:43 PM »
ObjectDCL takes advantage of many of the new MFC and ObjectARX® controls, such as the tree control, a calendar control (displays months and days), a tabbed control, self populating ARX combo and list boxes, new ObjectARX® edit controls (that filter AutoCAD® values such as angles, units, etc.), picture buttons and the new 'Cool' button, block view (a picture control that displays any AutoCAD® block in the current drawing), and for reverse compatibility a slide control that displays existing AutoCAD® slide files or slide libraries. Custom created controls are also available with ObjectDCL like the picture box (that accepts Bitmaps, Icons and Jpeg files), a round angle slider, a URL/Email Internet Link label and a Html control.  For a more detailed description of the type of controls available click here.

ActiveX control support in ObjectDCL allows you to insert almost any ActiveX control onto any ObjectDCL dialog box.
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

MickD

• King Gator
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 06:42:23 PM »
Thanks Kerry, I'm slowly filtering through the site. I'll have to have a deeper look and see how it ticks, I'm sure it would be simpler to implement those controls through ODCL than in straight MFC, just another layer to go through I guess :)
J.R.R. Tolkien

LE

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 06:46:18 PM »
Mick;

Do you have done a command in ARX using a UI ?

MickD

• King Gator
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 07:06:29 PM »
Yes, in win32.
Win32 isn't all that bad and I'm probably better off sticking with it as you have a lot of power once you get to know it. I've only got some test code at the moment though, nothing too complex.
J.R.R. Tolkien