Author Topic: 1 drawing vs. many  (Read 3408 times)

ELOQUINTET

1 drawing vs. many
« on: February 13, 2004, 03:28:17 PM »
i am accustomed to doing many parts of a job all in one drawing file whereas a coworker of mine divide every little part of a job into it's own drawing. i am dealing with this right now because i'm doing a revision and it would be great if i could use trvs gatte tool to add the revision to the titleblock. also i thought the find and replace would work if the attribute was empty. i seem to remember filling in one before. for some reason it doesn't work on his. anyway i was just wondering how you guys deal with this situation besides pistol whipping your coworker...dent  :D

daron

1 drawing vs. many
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2004, 03:32:11 PM »
I believe that's what the vent is for and where I'm headded.

ELOQUINTET

1 drawing vs. many
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2004, 03:42:09 PM »
o yeah so pissed i forgot where i was tank u

daron

1 drawing vs. many
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2004, 03:45:27 PM »
No, I think your comment straddles the fence on this forum and that. I was just commenting that I had something for the vent along those same lines in not so many words.

ELOQUINTET

1 drawing vs. many
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2004, 03:52:32 PM »
so i guess the best i can do is add a suggestion to trev to be able to find add replace a given empty attribute e.g. rev 2 comment with released for fabrication. if it's empty it doesn't work. a man can dream right...

CADaver

1 drawing vs. many
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2004, 04:18:41 PM »
I have a 9mm glock you can borrow ...

... oops, wait a minute ...

... I have a bunny you can borrow.

I, too try to keep everything in one file.  But on large projects with several designers working in the same area that becomes less productiove.  So sometimes we have to break 'em up.

As far as an empty attribute, as long as the tag name is unique, -attedit should find it and replace it.

hendie

1 drawing vs. many
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2004, 04:08:06 AM »
Quote from: CADaver
... oops, wait a minute ...

... I have a bunny you can borrow.

*splutter*

*cough*

*choke*

:P

Trev

1 drawing vs. many
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2004, 05:28:28 AM »
Damn, for some reason I thought I covered an empty attribute.
I'll take a look at that and get back asap
should be a quick fix.
(magic words "quick fix")  :)

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
1 drawing vs. many
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2004, 01:05:32 PM »
Well, if it makes you feel any better (or worse) we typically divide our plans into many different drawings. This means that while we are working on one aspect of the design, we are not bogging down system resources by having heaps upon heaps of information in a single drawing. Another reason is that some time ago it was standard practice to put all of the information in a single drawing and if that particular drawing somehow got corrupted we lost the entire job, not just a part of it.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

t-bear

1 drawing vs. many
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2004, 11:14:42 PM »
Thanks Keith...last time I got into this debate..."over there"...I was the only one stupid enough to admit to using multiple xrefs and got chewed up purty good (or bad, as the case may be)...
Here we have a large number of components which must be designed, and then have shop prints made.  All these components are then xrefd into two or more assemblies (skid, flare etc...)  which are then combined into a site layout.  If I threw all these assemblies and sub-assemblies and individual parts into one file, it would be from 40 to 90 meg!  So....now how do I "break out" each of these parts to create shop dwgs?  Can you immagine the nightmare of layers and dimstyles.....?!?  Xrefs rule, gents!

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
1 drawing vs. many
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2004, 11:21:19 PM »
Well, I keep my files purged and all extraneous entities removed. If my files get bigger than about 1 meg I am screaming about needing more computing power. I have just about convinced the powers that be to give me another 1/2 gig of ram, but what I really want is one of those $5k powerhouses with 2-4.0Ghz processors, 3gig ram and a 800Mhz FSB...

I can dream now can't I.....
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie