Author Topic: VB.net API for Autocad  (Read 22201 times)

Nathan Taylor

Re: VB.net API for Autocad
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2008, 08:16:12 PM »
Slow down, no name calling.  We have had enough of that before.  There are some vary valid pros and cons to the VB vs. C# debate, none of which I will be making, because I have had a very long day, and I dont feel like searching for hours to point them out.  Most of what I could put together would be second hand if not third hand knowledge anyway.  But I do know this- there are posts that compare VB vs C# on a coding level, WITHOUT bashing each other, and you can do things in VB that you cant do in C#.  That being said, you can do things "cleaner" (my opinion and that of SOME of the other members of the swamp) in C#.  Bottom line is it all compiles to the same dll file. (Before anybody jumps down my throat, yes, I know there are differences).  If you are more comfortable learning VB, then learn away.  I can relate in that when I attempted to start learning C#, I kept thinking in VBA.  Huge mistake!!  But I kept trying, and still do, look to what I know in VBA and try to figure out how to make C# work.  I have to keep being reminded from my peers here to stop thinking in VBA, because they are just way to different.

If you need to find official documentation on one vs the other, all I can offer is this-  somewhere on the swamp, someone has posted a link to an official Microsoft page that talks about WHY there is so much C# examples available, not just for Autocad, but in general.  It has to do with supply and demand.  Most of the world has unofficially embraced C# over VB.  Microsoft is trying to produce material as fast as it can, and C# is in demand.  Someone also posted about going to the local bookstore and finding a ton of books on C# and very few on VB.  Same problem, writers are writnig books that sell, and the VB books are not in high demand.  I applaud Jerry W for writing a book on VB.Net and Autocad, I even own the book.  I still prefer to write in C#.  I use it for reference for when Im really stuck, and I dont feel like bothering everybody here.

Now you can call me an elitist, but if you look at the drivel I post and need help with, you will see Im not.  Im just trying to learn this just like everyone else.

I did not call you personally elitist. So why the big reaction? It is not a matter of which is the better language it is the way people treat those who don't tow there line.

jnieman

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2008, 08:28:05 PM »
The problem is that you chose to instead blanket the entire active community as "elitists"

CmdrDuh =is= a dominant figure in this community, and is a dominant contributor and active colleague amongst those in the programming fora... but he still never mentioned that he took your remarks as being directed at him.

He merely spoke on the topic, and did not take anything personal.

More than I would've done :P

sinc

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2008, 08:33:40 PM »
I did not call you personally elitist. So why the big reaction? It is not a matter of which is the better language it is the way people treat those who don't tow there line.

What do you mean?  I don't know a single C# programmer who has anything against VB programmers.  It was their own choice to use that language, nobody forced them, and they are perfectly welcome to suffer as long as they wish.   :angel:

(but I kid...  In reality, I can write basically the same code in either language, and can read samples in either language equally-well.  I just prefer C# syntax, and I like the Visual-C# IDE more than I like the Visual-Basic IDE.  But to tell you the truth, I hardly notice the difference between the two.)

Nathan Taylor

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2008, 08:51:19 PM »
Whenever Kerry see's VB code he complains how much he hates VB. He may not be personally attacking the poster but it does get tiring. Glenn is also another big culprit and there are others. They may not mean any thing by it but they do come across as elitist.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2008, 08:56:02 PM »
I have no comment on Post # 28 and #33 except to say  "I have no constuctive comment to make"
and that I have no desire to be drawn in the direction I can see this thread heading.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 09:02:31 PM by Kerry Brown »
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

jnieman

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2008, 10:53:19 PM »
I think you read things the wrong way Nathan.

For instance, I'm a .NET hopeful and total newbie at it.

I see a C# and VB conflict (actually hadn't seen anything out of the norm, tbh) as a way to learn.

There are a number of people I highly respect the knowledge of, who come across as firmly pro-C# and none-too-favorable of VB, given the choice...

am I going to whine about their opinion on VB?  No... I'm going to look at WHY they think C# is superior, and think "Gee, maybe C# will be better for me too" and make a rational educated decision.

One big factor that I've seen already is the truth behind the number of resources for C# over VB...  I'm considering giving C# another go, really...

Nathan Taylor

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2008, 01:44:15 AM »
Josh I made a throw away comment. A couple of people have over reacted. So I pointed out why I feel that way and an appropriate person has responded gracefully. I knew that those people I were originally aiming at with out naming would take it gracefully. Unfortunately others did not do the same.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2008, 02:07:11 AM »
<snip> I knew that those people I were originally aiming at with out naming would take it gracefully. Unfortunately others did not do the same.

Nathan, just so you know, I did not take it gracefully. The guys here wanted to know what I was swearing about. I just chose to not pollute this forum with my wrath.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.

Nathan Taylor

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2008, 02:15:04 AM »
<snip> I knew that those people I were originally aiming at with out naming would take it gracefully. Unfortunately others did not do the same.

Nathan, just so you know, I did not take it gracefully. The guys here wanted to know what I was swearing about. I just chose to not pollute this forum with my wrath.

Well maybe now you will stop to think how you make other people feel with your constant derisive comments.

MickD

• King Gator
  • (x-in)->[process]->(y-out) ... simples!
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2008, 03:54:12 AM »
Nathan, to be fair, I don't ever recall Kerry saying that people who use VB suck, just that he thinks VB sucks and that's his opinion, which he is entitled too, just take it for what it is ... and move on.

Cheers,
Mick.

<edit> Kerry, I know you never said it 'sucked', just trying to make a point.</edit>

"Short cuts make long delays,' argued Pippin.”
J.R.R. Tolkien

Alan Cullen

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2008, 05:11:13 AM »
Here, here...... :lol:

Gotta stick up for the aussies, even though I have no idea what this is all about.  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Strucmad

« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2008, 07:30:07 AM »
Hey VB doesn't suck, XXXX sucks :evil:

jnieman

« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2008, 07:40:45 AM »

You're totally wrong, Brett Favre is just doing what's best for the fans.

*runs*

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2008, 07:51:10 AM »

Just for Clara Fication

.. and one for Paul !
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 07:57:47 AM by Kerry Brown »

jnieman

« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2008, 07:52:59 AM »
ha... ahhh... ok... I get it... wallaby owners only.

I'll be outside :P