Author Topic: VB.net API for Autocad  (Read 22199 times)

fixo

Re: VB.net API for Autocad
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2008, 04:33:53 AM »
checked that link(
I don't have visa card( Is there still a way to get this book if I can pay via webmoney or cash?
Sorry, I don't know that :)

~'J'~

Nathan Taylor

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2008, 07:11:42 PM »
checked that link(
I don't have visa card( Is there still a way to get this book if I can pay via webmoney or cash?

You should be able to order it through a bookstore if it has an ISBN number.

Dimas1

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 10:37:18 PM »
You should be able to order it through a bookstore if it has an ISBN number.
thats a digital book. Should it also have an ISBN number?

vegbruiser

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 04:01:11 AM »
the .pdf has the ISBN at the end of it.

By chance I happened to have it open: -

(See attached)

Dimas1

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2008, 07:31:10 PM »
is that the same very book? the one mentioned above costs 20 bucks

jnieman

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2008, 07:53:20 PM »

The E-Book costs $20... I'm thinking about buying it right now, actually...

MickD

• King Gator
  • (x-in)->[process]->(y-out) ... simples!
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2008, 08:41:13 PM »
heh heh, sound security features indeed.
If you 'share' this E-book with others, violating Copyright law, we will track you down and force you to listen to Elevator Music versions of music from the 1980's.[\quote]
"Short cuts make long delays,' argued Pippin.”
J.R.R. Tolkien

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2008, 10:24:54 PM »
Perhaps it's time to resurect
C# Programming for AutoCAD
{a hackers guide to taming the beast} ® 

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=14928.0

[ponder]
... wonder if we could get advanced sales :)
[/ponder]
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

vegbruiser

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2008, 04:20:38 AM »
It is indeed the same book. I paid (due to favourable exchange rates) £10 Sterling for my copy. :)

jnieman

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2008, 08:35:39 AM »

[ponder]
[/ponder]

I'm sure I'd add that book to my library too, without a doubt.  If for no other reason than to help support swampers that have helped me before.  However the material would be extremely relevant and of high quality I would be confident in saying.

However, what's with the "Ew. VB"  "Exactly" comments?

I began with C# using the Visual Studio Express tutorials/guides and MSDN libraries for reference... it got shelved, then I went on to develop a little more vba in my time to just "get it done" since I had a better platform to leap from at that time... I had come across some VB.NET and found it, for some weird reason... just easier to understand.  My mind clicked easier pouring over VB than it did for C#... however that may be because there was some definite growth in my brain between trying C# and VB...

But why is VB Eww-tastic?

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2008, 09:20:45 AM »

One thought is that since the .NET API for AutoCAD wrap’s C++ libraries and at some point one might need to reference the underlying  C++/ARX documents, a person who uses C# might have an advantage reading the C++ samples/docs over a VB user.  When I have questions while programming in C#, one of the places I look is the ARX groups. 

But if dig VB, that’s fine, we C#’ers can still make fun of you  :lmao:
Just a little rivalry thing, don’t take it personally  :-)

jnieman

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2008, 09:22:51 AM »

One thought is that since the .NET API for AutoCAD wrap’s C++ libraries and at some point one might need to reference the underlying  C++/ARX documents, a person who uses C# might have an advantage reading the C++ samples/docs over a VB user.  When I have questions while programming in C#, one of the places I look is the ARX groups. 

AHhh ok, wasn't clear on that.  I have been referencing the ARX books per the suggestions on the Autodesk development guides but did not put 2 and 2 together like that.

But if dig VB, that’s fine, we C#’ers can still make fun of you  :lmao:
Just a little rivalry thing, don’t take it personally  :-)

:-D  All in good fun.  Maybe later you can tell me which pocket protector works the best ;)

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2008, 09:32:53 AM »
:-D  All in good fun.  Maybe later you can tell me which pocket protector works the best ;)

Umm, that would be this one, the protector 5000

Nathan Taylor

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2008, 07:11:10 PM »

[ponder]
[/ponder]

I'm sure I'd add that book to my library too, without a doubt.  If for no other reason than to help support swampers that have helped me before.  However the material would be extremely relevant and of high quality I would be confident in saying.

However, what's with the "Ew. VB"  "Exactly" comments?

I began with C# using the Visual Studio Express tutorials/guides and MSDN libraries for reference... it got shelved, then I went on to develop a little more vba in my time to just "get it done" since I had a better platform to leap from at that time... I had come across some VB.NET and found it, for some weird reason... just easier to understand.  My mind clicked easier pouring over VB than it did for C#... however that may be because there was some definite growth in my brain between trying C# and VB...

This group is dominated by elitist's.

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2008, 08:05:04 PM »
Slow down, no name calling.  We have had enough of that before.  There are some vary valid pros and cons to the VB vs. C# debate, none of which I will be making, because I have had a very long day, and I dont feel like searching for hours to point them out.  Most of what I could put together would be second hand if not third hand knowledge anyway.  But I do know this- there are posts that compare VB vs C# on a coding level, WITHOUT bashing each other, and you can do things in VB that you cant do in C#.  That being said, you can do things "cleaner" (my opinion and that of SOME of the other members of the swamp) in C#.  Bottom line is it all compiles to the same dll file. (Before anybody jumps down my throat, yes, I know there are differences).  If you are more comfortable learning VB, then learn away.  I can relate in that when I attempted to start learning C#, I kept thinking in VBA.  Huge mistake!!  But I kept trying, and still do, look to what I know in VBA and try to figure out how to make C# work.  I have to keep being reminded from my peers here to stop thinking in VBA, because they are just way to different.

If you need to find official documentation on one vs the other, all I can offer is this-  somewhere on the swamp, someone has posted a link to an official Microsoft page that talks about WHY there is so much C# examples available, not just for Autocad, but in general.  It has to do with supply and demand.  Most of the world has unofficially embraced C# over VB.  Microsoft is trying to produce material as fast as it can, and C# is in demand.  Someone also posted about going to the local bookstore and finding a ton of books on C# and very few on VB.  Same problem, writers are writnig books that sell, and the VB books are not in high demand.  I applaud Jerry W for writing a book on VB.Net and Autocad, I even own the book.  I still prefer to write in C#.  I use it for reference for when Im really stuck, and I dont feel like bothering everybody here.

Now you can call me an elitist, but if you look at the drivel I post and need help with, you will see Im not.  Im just trying to learn this just like everyone else.
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)