Author Topic: VB.net API for Autocad  (Read 22200 times)

fxcastil

VB.net API for Autocad
« on: February 09, 2006, 08:35:30 PM »
Where do I get all the vb.net properties/methods for AutoCAD (AutoCAD VB.net API)

Is there a good book for getting started in VB.net for AutoCAD

Fred

jnieman

Re: VB.net API for Autocad
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 06:21:19 PM »
*bump*

Reviving this corpse thread because I was wondering the same thing.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 06:33:11 PM »
The .NET Properties/Methods are found in the acad_mgd.chm help file. I do not recall if this is inlcuded in the base install or if it is a part of the ObjectARX docs. If the latter, get the ObjectARX2008 (or 2009) Development Kit from Adesk's website

The helpfiles and the .NET Labs, also available at Adesk, are good starting points.

Atook

• Swamp Rat
  • AKA Tim
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 06:34:46 PM »
In VB6/VBA there was an object browser built in to the IDE. I believe the key for it was F2 once you had the IDE open.

jnieman

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 06:43:16 PM »
Thank you so much.

Additionally...

what do you use for project creation/management for .NET?

I installed the 90 day trial of Visual Studio 2008 and find it ... well it's not what I'm used to.  The most robust application for program writing I've used is the VBA Manager.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 07:06:25 PM »
The Express Editions of the Visual Studio IDE's is all you need. They are free and do most everything you will need.  http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/

And no, they are definitely different than VBA, but so are the things you can do with them. ("Them" being VB.NET, C#, C++)

jnieman

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 07:29:13 PM »
mk, cool then.  I'll download the express edition (sans 90 day limit) and give that a whirl next time I get back to going through VB.NET tutorials.

I'm liking it so far.  I guess something has PARTIALLY clicked, because I'm not having much trouble following syntax and knowing WHAT does WHAT and WHY.. the MS help files and tuts have been ok so far.

I would still like to have a GOOD solid physical book in front of me that can step me through getting started in --Autocad-- from the bottom up, but I'm starting with the basics for now (as I would be doing anyways)

vegbruiser

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 05:54:47 AM »
I recently purchased a (digital only) copy of Jerry Winters "VB.NET Programming for AutoCAD Customization" and have found that quite useful - although it is aimed at AutoCAD 2007 and beyond, so some of the functions he describes don't work as expected (or at all) if you're using AutoCAD versions older than 2007 (As I am).

On the whole, I've found it quite useful, although, as previous posts have said, reading the documentation from Autodesk will be a great help too.

:)

jnieman

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 08:56:21 AM »
I found a lot of opinions on that book.

The only negatives were about shipping... which is basically hit or miss no matter what you do.  I've heard many say they got it in a couple weeks which is fast enough for me for snail mail.

There was only one negative dissenter about the author and there was no follow up to the quip and no explanation... so I'm not putting any stake in it.

It's a reasonable price too... after seeing the list of chapters, I'm only a bit disappointed that he doesn't get into 3d object creation, but really... after all the book seems to cover, I think I can make the transition just fine on my own once I get through his book.

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 03:18:59 PM »
I own the book, and was disappointed he didn't cover more topics.  The chapter on blocks was fantastic, as long as the block was already defined in your dwg file.  It took me forever to find a way to use the browse out and get a block method, and even then, Im not sure I did it right.
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 03:20:37 PM »
But I should also say, I'm using C#, and only use the book for an example of what I'm looking for when I get stuck.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Dimas1

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 01:54:15 AM »
I recently purchased a (digital only) copy of Jerry Winters "VB.NET Programming for AutoCAD Customization"...
could you pls give a link to this book download or a link to purchase it?

fixo

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 02:26:16 AM »
You can just buy this book, say on amazon.com
Here is a link to Jerry's web page:
http://www.vbcad.com/vbcaddownloads.asp

~'J'~

Dimas1

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 10:48:29 PM »
checked that link(
I don't have visa card( Is there still a way to get this book if I can pay via webmoney or cash?

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 12:41:38 AM »
best bet would be to pay someone who has a visa card to order it for you.  Amazon might take a check, but it depends on where you are also