Author Topic: Application settings  (Read 5224 times)

Draftek

Application settings
« on: January 31, 2006, 05:45:31 PM »
Have you used this new feature in vs2005? Pretty cool.

Except, while writing my very last app in vs2002 a couple of months ago, I decided to bite the bullet and write a drop-in app - xmlConfig - for fiuture use of, you guessed it - application settings.

The Story of Me.

Troy Williams

Re: Application settings
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 06:07:22 PM »
It is really cool! I find it interesting that MS is getting away from storing things in the registry and going back to an ini type storage system.

I had written something similar except it was a custom class that stored settings and serialized itself to binary. Very easy and very cool.

I try not to write any code unless I have had a really good look at the framework to see if the task was already accomplished.

MickD

• King Gator
  • (x-in)->[process]->(y-out) ... simples!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 06:32:47 PM »
It is really cool! I find it interesting that MS is getting away from storing things in the registry and going back to an ini type storage system.

I think this may have a lot to do with portability of applications and server side app's, the client side user will have a simple ini (stored on the server) as you said that is ref'd by the server side app for user settings when you log on ( instead of messing around with the registry as you would with a client side app).
Also, this makes it easier to have your app's on a removable drive such as a USB2 memory stick.
"Programming is really just the mundane aspect of expressing a solution to a problem."
- John Carmack

"Short cuts make long delays,' argued Pippin.”
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Draftek

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 09:01:18 AM »
I've never really liked storing settings in the registry. This new trend is somewhat satisfying to me due to the fact I was attacked on the old Augi Guild for suggesting ini files were a good alternative to the registry.

Here is the response I got back from the Arse, who's name I will not bother to mention but will not forget in case we meet at an Autodesk event (yes, I saved it):

I said, you can modify them just by modifying the Registry.  I suppose you are smarter than the people who wrote windows, and I suppose that you are smarter than the people at autodesk and the other ISV's.

Obviously you never worked for an ISV, so wtf do you know anyway?

PS.  Don't email me any more.  It is people like you that ruin the Guild.

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 09:57:24 AM »
Sounds like Tony was having a bad day maybe
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Draftek

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 10:32:36 AM »
No, it wasn't Tony.