Author Topic: DXF revisited  (Read 10617 times)

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
Re: DXF revisited
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2006, 06:29:50 PM »
OK, you're on! I'm attaching a zip with a "dxf" file that I created entirely from scratch using lisp. I'm able to open it in R2002 and I'd like to know if it will open in R13 as well.

As for the old program, I knew what you meant, but since John posted it I figured I'd try it to see if it fixed the error I was getting.

Dinosaur

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2006, 06:37:47 PM »
This file does open with r13 - no precautions taken for long folder names

edit

It also opens regardless if I use acad.dwg or "no prototype" for a seed

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2006, 06:42:37 PM »
OK, that's a good start! Thanks!

Now if John could test it on his proggy.........*waiting with fingers crossed*

Dinosaur

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2006, 06:44:31 PM »
Glad to be of service!  I knew keeping r13 on my hard drive would pay off somehow.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2006, 06:46:20 PM »
I think the box I had R13 loaded onto is being used as a boat anchor at the moment.    :lol:
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Dinosaur

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2006, 06:49:26 PM »
I think the box I had R13 loaded onto is being used as a boat anchor at the moment.    :lol:
I have it running side by side with Civil 3D 2006 at the moment . . . and it is wiping 2k6's keester speedwise (on startup anyway).

jbaxter

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2006, 05:30:02 PM »
Hello,

Thanks for all your help guys.

I think we are getting off the track a little, the object of the exercise is to convert the 2004 dxf file to be identical in format to the R12c3 dxf file such that it satisfies the program I have, not to open the file into R13,R14 or any other version and display the same set of contours I already have on screen.

Regards,
John

jbaxter

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2006, 11:54:09 PM »
Hello All,

The DXFconverter.exe rotuine works upon the 2004 dxf file and produces a file which will open and display without problem in acad R12 however when I produce the dxfout r12 file the order of data is changed the original r12 output and is not accepted by the program.

Looks like we have tried everything?

Regards,
JB

Dinosaur

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2006, 08:34:50 AM »
Did you try working with the jin11-DXF file Jeff posted?  See his post at the top of this page.  The converter program still left problems somewhere that should be solved with what he used to produce this dxf.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2006, 12:19:57 PM »
Hello,

Thanks for all your help guys.

I think we are getting off the track a little, the object of the exercise is to convert the 2004 dxf file to be identical in format to the R12c3 dxf file such that it satisfies the program I have, not to open the file into R13,R14 or any other version and display the same set of contours I already have on screen.

Regards,
John
John, we know what track we are on, but since none of have R12 or can use the program you have, the best testing we can do is to see if the resulting file swill even work in the newer versions. If they do not work in the new versions then we can assume they probably won't work with your criteria. And since you were off for the weekend we were just doing the best we could with the available tools.

Since you can open it in R12, this means you have R12 loaded? Why not use it to produce the DXF for the other program?

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2006, 03:41:25 PM »
well, I found my R12 install disks.....all 13 of them....1.2mb 5.25in.  :-o Now where did I put that floppy drive????

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2006, 03:53:44 PM »
John, we know what track we are on, ... 

.. and sometimes thinking sideways is the only way forward. .. at least that's my excuse.
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Dinosaur

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2006, 05:24:57 PM »
well, I found my R12 install disks.....all 13 of them....1.2mb 5.25in.  :-o Now where did I put that floppy drive????
Even if you find the drive it will be a trick to run it.  I got r12 to work with Windows 3.11 from the desktop but I had to fuss with something I think was called pharlap extender to get there and never had any luck with '95 or above even booting into DOS. 

jbaxter

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2006, 05:47:38 PM »

Hi Jeff,

I just do not think that opening the file and displaying it will help the result required. I feel that the fellow who suggested that the order of data is changed in releases above r14 with respect to dxfout is quite correct. When I analyse each converted file whether or not it is converted with your DXFconvert utility or by opening a savedas or converted dxf within r12 and then exporting to a fresh dxf the order of entities is still changed from that which is digitised straight into r12 and exported.

I remember a few years back that I used to digitise into R14 and then do a dxfout to R13 version file and then use the DXFIX routine that ships with r13 acad with the following parameters at the command line:

dxfix -a6 -tdxfix13 firstfile.dxf newfile.dxf

then apply the DXFWES routine to the newfile.dxf and all was okay, seem like the data within the file was okay up until R14 however releases past this ver appear to scramble around with the data which DXWES will not accept.

Thanks for your help on all this.

Regards,
John

Dinosaur

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2006, 06:10:18 PM »
. . .  I used to digitise into R14 and then do a dxfout to R13 version file and then use the DXFIX routine that shi  ps with r13 acad  . . .
That puts me out of the game.  Dxfix at my command line in r13 yields ". . . unknown command . . ."