Author Topic: Suddenly Freezing - Your Guess?  (Read 1181 times)

craigr

Suddenly Freezing - Your Guess?
« on: January 16, 2006, 09:31:45 AM »
Nothing has been changed on my workstation for quite a while. -

Within the last week my AutoCad LT has sometimes started to freeze when I select the entire floorplan. This has happened on several different dwgs, so I know it is not a problem with one dwg.

This has NEVER been a problem while doing this. It acts like the old days of not enough RAM, but that is not the case here.

What would be your first guess at the problem?

Hardware or software?

Thanks in advance,
craigr

craigr

Re: Suddenly Freezing - Your Guess?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 10:04:25 AM »
I figured it out!! - (Somewhat embarassed). :oops:

It was my new found 'group' command. I was grouping the floor plan & room numbers as one entity.

Thanks to SDETERS for his post in my previous thread - 'group command'. -
When I use groups it seems to take alot of time to select the group if I have many entites in that group.

I was going to try to delete this thread myself, but thought this little bit of info might help someone else.

Thanks, craigr

t-bear

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 07:56:21 AM »
Craig...glad you got it figured out and thanks for not deleting the post.  Even the "little" things like this may be a big help to someone later on.  Good show!

SDETERS

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 08:18:05 AM »
My question is what causes the machine to freeze or act really slow while using groups?  Is it a memory issue or graphics problem or what?

craigr

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 09:31:24 AM »
I believe that it is a memory issue, though my machine is no slouch - AMD Athalon 3200, 1 Gig Ram, with 2 64mb video cards.

I had grouped floor plans of a LARGE Hospital with MANY entities. Apparently even though you group entities, ACAD continues to treat them as individual enties when selected. In the past, I have always used the copyclip / pasteclip - without exploding the imported block. This way everything stays together when selecting them.

Bottom line, don't group large entities. - lesson learned.

craigr