Author Topic: Solids Editing  (Read 4687 times)

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
Solids Editing
« on: July 14, 2006, 01:36:30 PM »
Things are slow so...I'm attempting a 3D model of a company project. Currently I'm on a basin, rectangular, sloped sides and rounded corners. I have whittled down the slopes and at the final step of added 2 solids, the cube and a blunt cone that will be the corner. I have successfully done this 3 times on the other corners (all the cones are merely copies of the original, but on the LAST one I get:

"The Boolean operation on solids failed.

Modeling Operation Error:
     Internal inconsistency in boolean operation.

What does this mean? I've had no problems the other 3 times  :realmad:

I'll be back with the "sometimes I can extrude, sometimes I can't" as soon as I get the error message again.

Thanks
Acad 2013 and XM
Back when High Tech meant you had an adjustable triangle

Bob

Re: Solids Editing
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 03:28:14 AM »
Are you still having problems?

Am I right in saying that the problem is the "add" boolean and not the others(subract and interfere)?

Would you be able to post the model?

ChrisSolid

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 02:39:40 PM »
Things are slow so...I'm attempting a 3D model of a company project. Currently I'm on a basin, rectangular, sloped sides and rounded corners. I have whittled down the slopes and at the final step of added 2 solids, the cube and a blunt cone that will be the corner. I have successfully done this 3 times on the other corners (all the cones are merely copies of the original, but on the LAST one I get:

"The Boolean operation on solids failed.

Modeling Operation Error:
     Internal inconsistency in boolean operation.

What does this mean? I've had no problems the other 3 times  :realmad:

I'll be back with the "sometimes I can extrude, sometimes I can't" as soon as I get the error message again.

Thanks

That's basically AutoCAD saying "I'm not smart enough to make that shape", in essence. I believe, from experience, that internal rounding errors cause edges to not line up perfectly, possibly the slope of your sides does not match up with the slope of your cone -not because you drew it wrong (obviously, if the other 3 worked ok), but because of the aforementioned rounding error. I get past this sometimes by doing a little fudging - only takes a few tenthousandths of fudging, usually. Sometimes you can even correct the fudge afterwords. I can explain in more detail if you want.

cad-waulader

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 01:07:12 PM »
replying ten years after you original post. 
If the feature you're trying to create has symmetry with an existing feature, try slicing your model in half along the plane of symmetry, deleting or moving aside the  incomplete half of the model, and then mirroring or copy/rotate 180/translate the complete half of the model such that you end up with the desired feature in the desired location.  then you can select all features and do a boolean union. 
Don't know why you had the boolean issue to begin with.  But if you cannot re-invent the wheel, at least you can copy it.